Skip to main content

Waiting with Joy



            Every heart requires joy!  Joy is what makes us feel alive.  It is eases the pain of living in a fallen world.  Joy is a side effect of a personal relationship with Christ.  No one talked about joy more than the Apostle Paul.  Obviously his joy didn’t come from his circumstances.  In fact in the book of Philippians he writes (from his prison in Rome) the reason for his joy and encourages others to be joyful.
            When was the last time you belly-laughed?  Now that doesn’t happen every day for me.  I have a smile on my face from the memory of my last belly-laugh.  It was after a long week of ministry to women in India.  A wise video-photographer asked our women’s team to talk about what we had experienced.  By that time we were all a little giddy from the way God had used us, and we decided to practice a Bollywood dance that we hadn’t had time to use to open up our talk.  He was very smart and followed us while we practiced before we could figure out that we didn’t know what we were doing, and whatever we were doing should not be captured on film.  Once we figured that out, he started asking us questions about our ministry.  The description the women were giving got a little diluted when one woman blurted out—we studied the sinful woman! (It sounded like we were teaching how to be a sinful woman and in the context of the dancing it was just so funny!—maybe you had to be there).  Anyway, I haven’t belly-laughed this month, but I hope I will.  I hope there will be something that gives me joy like that.
            Personally I have never felt more joy that the time I gave birth to my children.  (I had relatively short labors.)  That is a different kind of joy.  I experience joy at each of their accomplishments and secret joy when they have learned from their mistakes.  There is the joy of being known intimately by God when he sends a secret reminder of how special I am to him through a well-timed word, a beautiful sunset, or a kindness from a friend.  Joy comes in many packages and different sizes.  It is vital that we open our hearts to joy.
            Jesus experienced joy in what He was promised ahead.  If we have absolutely no other reason to feel joy than believing in heaven, then that is enough.  Hebrews 12:2 says: fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.  There is no greater joy than accepting the love God has for us puny humans and His desire to be one with us in heaven. 
            In the third week of Advent, we light the pink candle, signifying that the light of Christ is getting closer and closer.  It is called the Shepherd’s Candle because the shepherds were transformed from fearful to joyful after witnessing what the angels said was true.  They told everyone they knew about the experience in the field of seeing angels and finding there was indeed a Son of David, the Son of God born that night in Bethlehem.
            Heaven is filled with joy when any human comes to saving faith in Christ.  The angels dance and sing for us to receive the salvation offered to us.  May you spread the joy of Christ that He not only came to us in human flesh but that he lived and died and rose again. The greatest joy of heaven is when sinners turn into saints through faith and trust in Jesus Christ.  Follow your instructions in making the heavens rejoice: In the same way, I tell you, there is rejoicing in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents (Luke 15:10).
Copyright © 2014.  Deborah R Newman  teatimeforyoursoul.com  All Rights Reserved.
              

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fifth Monday in Lent through Palm Sunday

Fifth Monday in Lent: Righteousness Needed Jesus is all about bringing us righteousness yet we are too worldly focused to think we have much of a need for righteousness. Most of us think we need healing or exciting miracles. We might try to get a little righteousness by going to church on Sunday and giving some spare change to a beggar. God sees the bigger picture and knows that there is nothing which we are more bankrupt than righteousness. He sees that we are totally incapable of getting the righteousness we need through our own actions, so He sent Jesus to give us His righteousness through His sacrificial work on the cross. Lent is a season of repentance and preparation for the Easter celebration. No matter how sacrificial your Lenten fast, it could never be enough to earn your righteousness. I have been practicing Lent for   years, and every year at the end of my fast I come face to face with how far I am from righteousness. Some of the first recorded words of Jesus in th

Lenten Devotions

First Monday in Lent: Lent—Winter/Spring I took a weekend Silent Lenten Retreat and learned how special the season of Lent (which means Spring) really is. Being in the lovely setting where winter-spring becomes its own season; I discovered that the transformation from winter to spring reveals the transformation of our souls in Lent. We had an absolutely gorgeous weekend to enjoy solitude with God. Lent is a perfect season to see in nature what God is drawing out of us through the spiritual disciplines we focus on through penitence and preparation for Easter. It is the in-between season that shows us a lot about what we are doing spiritually through our focus on confession. From a distance winter can seem stark and ugly. I feel the same way about confession. But if you take the time to see the winter you can see that the winter season reveals realities that get masked over by the growth of summer. In winter you become aware of what needs to be cleared away. In the same way the con

The Troubled Christian Life

              When I surrendered my vocation to God back when I was seventeen-years-old, He called me to a life of walking through the most broken realities that people face in a first-world country.  The verse that led me to this life was 2 Corinthians 1:3-4.  Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort,   who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God .  I began counseling others at the ripe age of 23.  I looked like I could have still been in high school, and the patients given to me rightly had their doubts.  I had my doubts too.  I knew that I didn’t have the wisdom to counseling people double my age.  I didn’t have a lot of experience of deep wounds either so I couldn’t talk to them from my own experiences of deep brokenness.  I was only helpful to them because I relied totally on the word of God and the presence of the Holy Spirit