Skip to main content

Why Me?

 
            When something tragic or unexpected happens, our first question seems to be, Why me?  It’s only human to feel this way and wonder why life has got to be so hard.  God has helped me look at my unwanted circumstances with a different question.  Rather than keep the focus on my pain and ask, Why me?  I focus on Him and wonder, How can You be glorified when everything is going wrong?

            Adding one more word to that question makes a huge difference spiritually and opens my soul to find so much more than just my pain.  Another way to look at life’s tragedies is, Why not me?  Sure, we each have our own amount of personal sorrows. These are the kind of sorrows that have no answers.    We can't explain away death, cancer, rape, bankruptcy and other heartaches.  It is easier to explain the tragedies of man than it is to explain the goodness that continues to exist on this earth.  This question can lead us to wonder, Why, with the huge amount of evidence of the coldness of man’s heart, is there so much good and beauty in the world?

            The world is full of the glory of God, even in the midst of the pain and suffering.  His beauty shines in His creation and especially in the hearts of mankind, whom He loves. The very fact that He does not abandon us, in spite of how much we fail Him, is evidence of a love that is beyond our understanding.  Even with as much pain and suffering  as we can find in this world, glimpses of God’s love, intimacy and involvement with His fallen creatures remain. 

            The glory of God is the scent of the universe.  Creation bursts with His glory.  The sunrise and sunset are evidence of His wonders.  Perhaps David said it best:  When I consider your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place, what is mankind that you are mindful of them, human beings that you care for them (Psalm 8:3-4)?

            We can look at our life in this world through the gloom of what is next and ask how will I live through this tragedy?  Or we can look at our life through the mist of this world and wonder, How will God give me the strength to face this obstacle?  Who will He send to help when I need it?  What needs to grow in me so that I can face it?  How can I become more open to His love, involvement and care?

            When we feel defeated by our challenges and struggles, it is transforming to take the focus off what is so wrong with the world and begin to look at what is right.  When we stop focusing on the suffering and begin to see the strength that is being carved out of the hard circumstances, hope and wonder like David had when he wrote his Psalm appear. 

            Accepting that some of the Whys will remain a mystery for our lifetimes and wondering why God could love you, a sinner, will make all the difference in how you face the obstacles so that they transform you rather than knock you down.

Copyright © 2013.  Deborah R. Newman.  www.teatimeforyousoul.com  All Rights Reserved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fifth Monday in Lent through Palm Sunday

Fifth Monday in Lent: Righteousness Needed Jesus is all about bringing us righteousness yet we are too worldly focused to think we have much of a need for righteousness. Most of us think we need healing or exciting miracles. We might try to get a little righteousness by going to church on Sunday and giving some spare change to a beggar. God sees the bigger picture and knows that there is nothing which we are more bankrupt than righteousness. He sees that we are totally incapable of getting the righteousness we need through our own actions, so He sent Jesus to give us His righteousness through His sacrificial work on the cross. Lent is a season of repentance and preparation for the Easter celebration. No matter how sacrificial your Lenten fast, it could never be enough to earn your righteousness. I have been practicing Lent for   years, and every year at the end of my fast I come face to face with how far I am from righteousness. Some of the first recorded words of Jesus in th

A Pilgrimage that Started with Tears

                Who would think I would shed tears deciding to set out on a wonderful journey that I have longed to take for many years?   Before I was ready to fully accept God’s invitation for a pilgrimage to Jerusalem, I had to journey to a place of agreement between what my soul wanted and what the Lord wanted for me.   For years I have been declining opportunities to travel to Israel—not because I didn’t want to go but because I wanted to go with my husband by my side.   I know that God could have arranged that for me, but instead He asked me to accept that He wanted me to be willing to go and leave everything behind.   When I was asked to make a decision about going on a Pilgrimage to Jerusalem, God gave me this verse in answer to my prayer -- Debi, observe therefore all the commands I am giving you today, so that you may have the strength to go in and take over the land that you are crossing the Jordan to possess (Deuteronomy 11:8).   I decided through tears that I would go on

The Troubled Christian Life

              When I surrendered my vocation to God back when I was seventeen-years-old, He called me to a life of walking through the most broken realities that people face in a first-world country.  The verse that led me to this life was 2 Corinthians 1:3-4.  Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort,   who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God .  I began counseling others at the ripe age of 23.  I looked like I could have still been in high school, and the patients given to me rightly had their doubts.  I had my doubts too.  I knew that I didn’t have the wisdom to counseling people double my age.  I didn’t have a lot of experience of deep wounds either so I couldn’t talk to them from my own experiences of deep brokenness.  I was only helpful to them because I relied totally on the word of God and the presence of the Holy Spirit