Skip to main content

The Three Ways

            In the fourth century Evagrius Ponticus described three levels of spiritual growth which is the basis of all orthodox Christian spiritual direction.  These are commonly known as Purgative, Illuminative and Unitive.

            I have found the three ways helpful guides as I long to grow closer to God.  They help me recognize spiritual growth in my life as well as explain spiritual progress to others.  These three ways point me to God and show me how to detach from the world. They remind me that the goal of my Christian life is to be one with God.

            In the Purgative, souls purge themselves from the world.  Along with humility, losing interest in the world’s offerings is the real beginning of the spiritual journey.  Finally the world pales in comparison to knowing the love of God.  Priorities change.  How you think about material possessions becomes transformed.  Jesus called us to humble repentance.  That is the first stage of returning to our true identity as God’s dearly beloved children.  The purgative is a conversion of the heart.  Jesus said: Where your treasure is there your heart will be also (Matthew 6:21).  When you treasure God more than the world, you are moving through the purgative way.  You begin to see how foolish you have been to try to derive satisfaction from the world.  Sometimes you are the last to notice that you are not the same person you used to be.  Your humble repentance has transformed your wants, your hopes and your dreams.  Not only do you purge the world from your obsession, you are no longer totally consumed with yourself.

            A deepening level of spirituality touches souls who have made a break from the slavery of the world.  Their minds are converted with light from God.  They are able to discern heavenly perspectives, especially about suffering.  Jesus told us that we must take up our cross and follow Him (Matthew 6:24).  Souls that are illuminated with the light of Christ embrace the mystery of suffering.  They believe everything that happens in their lives, whether good or bad, will accomplish God’s glory when they place their trust in God.  Intimacy with God is desired more than an easy life.  It’s at this stage of the spiritual journey that past friends and family may become disappointed because the person they liked is now focused on totally different values.  Not only does the soul not like what is once liked, it also sees and understands more about God’s glorious work in the world.  It is as if the mind is illuminated and can see beyond the circumstances to the glory and purposes of God.  This soul is making great spiritual progress in turning back to God.

            The goal of our Christian life is the Unitive way.  This is the conversion of the spirit when we are one with God.  Another world for this is Theosis.  Jesus prayed that we could see His glory (John 17:1-5).  That is what happens in the Unitive way.  It is a Mountain top experience with God that all souls long for.  We are created to partake in the glory of God.  This is what was lost in our demise through sin.  God longs for us to share in His glory. As we progress through humility and obedience, intimacy with God is our soul’s destination.

Copyright © 2013.  Deborah R. Newman www.teatimeforyoursoul.com  All Rights Reserved.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fifth Monday in Lent through Palm Sunday

Fifth Monday in Lent: Righteousness Needed Jesus is all about bringing us righteousness yet we are too worldly focused to think we have much of a need for righteousness. Most of us think we need healing or exciting miracles. We might try to get a little righteousness by going to church on Sunday and giving some spare change to a beggar. God sees the bigger picture and knows that there is nothing which we are more bankrupt than righteousness. He sees that we are totally incapable of getting the righteousness we need through our own actions, so He sent Jesus to give us His righteousness through His sacrificial work on the cross. Lent is a season of repentance and preparation for the Easter celebration. No matter how sacrificial your Lenten fast, it could never be enough to earn your righteousness. I have been practicing Lent for   years, and every year at the end of my fast I come face to face with how far I am from righteousness. Some of the first recorded words of Jesus in th

A Pilgrimage that Started with Tears

                Who would think I would shed tears deciding to set out on a wonderful journey that I have longed to take for many years?   Before I was ready to fully accept God’s invitation for a pilgrimage to Jerusalem, I had to journey to a place of agreement between what my soul wanted and what the Lord wanted for me.   For years I have been declining opportunities to travel to Israel—not because I didn’t want to go but because I wanted to go with my husband by my side.   I know that God could have arranged that for me, but instead He asked me to accept that He wanted me to be willing to go and leave everything behind.   When I was asked to make a decision about going on a Pilgrimage to Jerusalem, God gave me this verse in answer to my prayer -- Debi, observe therefore all the commands I am giving you today, so that you may have the strength to go in and take over the land that you are crossing the Jordan to possess (Deuteronomy 11:8).   I decided through tears that I would go on

The Troubled Christian Life

              When I surrendered my vocation to God back when I was seventeen-years-old, He called me to a life of walking through the most broken realities that people face in a first-world country.  The verse that led me to this life was 2 Corinthians 1:3-4.  Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort,   who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God .  I began counseling others at the ripe age of 23.  I looked like I could have still been in high school, and the patients given to me rightly had their doubts.  I had my doubts too.  I knew that I didn’t have the wisdom to counseling people double my age.  I didn’t have a lot of experience of deep wounds either so I couldn’t talk to them from my own experiences of deep brokenness.  I was only helpful to them because I relied totally on the word of God and the presence of the Holy Spirit