Skip to main content

A Pilgrimage that Started with Tears


                Who would think I would shed tears deciding to set out on a wonderful journey that I have longed to take for many years?  Before I was ready to fully accept God’s invitation for a pilgrimage to Jerusalem, I had to journey to a place of agreement between what my soul wanted and what the Lord wanted for me.  For years I have been declining opportunities to travel to Israel—not because I didn’t want to go but because I wanted to go with my husband by my side.  I know that God could have arranged that for me, but instead He asked me to accept that He wanted me to be willing to go and leave everything behind. 
When I was asked to make a decision about going on a Pilgrimage to Jerusalem, God gave me this verse in answer to my prayer -- Debi, observe therefore all the commands I am giving you today, so that you may have the strength to go in and take over the land that you are crossing the Jordan to possess (Deuteronomy 11:8).  I decided through tears that I would go on this trip alone even though it was not what I wanted or had prayed for.  Observing God’s commands on this journey means accepting that God’s best for me will always triumph even when I can’t see or sense it in the moment.  I am asked to trust God from the heart.  It means seeing that what I thought would be the way for Brian and Debi to go to Israel is not the way God made it happen.  Going without Brian makes it more of a personal journey between God and me.  I believe that I am crossing the Jordan to possess the spiritual blessings that await me there.  I have already experienced the blessing of finding God’s nearness and purpose through the tears of deciding to make this journey.

Accept the trials of life as they come, and look for the good in each.  Only in this way can you advance and grow in stature. 
It is only through the power of My Spirit within you that you shall be able to tap hidden resources that have power to sustain you above yourself.  Therefore you are not dependent upon nor limited by the level of your own strength of character, but you may rise above it and lift your own actions up into My divine pattern for you.
Frances Roberts, Progress of Another Pilgrim

I’m sure those on their pilgrimages to Jerusalem in Bible times didn’t find that everything worked out as perfectly as they dreamed either.  They had to open their hearts, souls and spirits to God knowing that God does not meet their expectations.  Like me, I’m sure they discovered for themselves that in the end it was exactly the best for them.  The time for faithful souls to make their pilgrimage was according to God’s timetable, not theirs.  They had to leave the comfort of their families and their homes to eat, drink and sleep on the road and face uncertain dangers lurking along the path.  It wasn’t a dream destination vacation but rather a spiritual journey far richer for the soul.

My journey begins.  My pilgrimage to Jerusalem to honor and worship the God of Israel lies ahead.  Like so many others who have been sent to Jerusalem, I don’t fully comprehend why I am going.  I don’t know the spiritual breakthroughs that wait for me there.  I bring my tears, my hopes, and my joys.  I know this journey is for my spiritual progress, and I’m blessed to have the privilege of taking it. 

I am hoping that I can share this journey with you as it happens.  I plan to blog about each day’s adventures with God for anyone who would like to read about it.  The blogs will be posted on www.soulsistertime.blogspot.com and also on the Tea Time for Your Soul Facebook page.  Look for them in those spots if you want to join me as I discover the spiritual blessings that await me on pilgrimage to Jerusalem.

Copyright © 2012.  Deborah R. Newman www.teatimeforyoursoul.com  All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. Debi--Just wanted you to know that I'm excited about your trip and will be praying for you. Israel has been my only trip out of the US except for the Caribbean. It is a great experience. You are in my thoughts and prayers.
    Much love, Allyson

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was great to know that so many people were praying for us!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fifth Monday in Lent through Palm Sunday

Fifth Monday in Lent: Righteousness Needed Jesus is all about bringing us righteousness yet we are too worldly focused to think we have much of a need for righteousness. Most of us think we need healing or exciting miracles. We might try to get a little righteousness by going to church on Sunday and giving some spare change to a beggar. God sees the bigger picture and knows that there is nothing which we are more bankrupt than righteousness. He sees that we are totally incapable of getting the righteousness we need through our own actions, so He sent Jesus to give us His righteousness through His sacrificial work on the cross. Lent is a season of repentance and preparation for the Easter celebration. No matter how sacrificial your Lenten fast, it could never be enough to earn your righteousness. I have been practicing Lent for   years, and every year at the end of my fast I come face to face with how far I am from righteousness. Some of the first recorded words of Jesus in th

Lenten Devotions

First Monday in Lent: Lent—Winter/Spring I took a weekend Silent Lenten Retreat and learned how special the season of Lent (which means Spring) really is. Being in the lovely setting where winter-spring becomes its own season; I discovered that the transformation from winter to spring reveals the transformation of our souls in Lent. We had an absolutely gorgeous weekend to enjoy solitude with God. Lent is a perfect season to see in nature what God is drawing out of us through the spiritual disciplines we focus on through penitence and preparation for Easter. It is the in-between season that shows us a lot about what we are doing spiritually through our focus on confession. From a distance winter can seem stark and ugly. I feel the same way about confession. But if you take the time to see the winter you can see that the winter season reveals realities that get masked over by the growth of summer. In winter you become aware of what needs to be cleared away. In the same way the con

The Troubled Christian Life

              When I surrendered my vocation to God back when I was seventeen-years-old, He called me to a life of walking through the most broken realities that people face in a first-world country.  The verse that led me to this life was 2 Corinthians 1:3-4.  Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort,   who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God .  I began counseling others at the ripe age of 23.  I looked like I could have still been in high school, and the patients given to me rightly had their doubts.  I had my doubts too.  I knew that I didn’t have the wisdom to counseling people double my age.  I didn’t have a lot of experience of deep wounds either so I couldn’t talk to them from my own experiences of deep brokenness.  I was only helpful to them because I relied totally on the word of God and the presence of the Holy Spirit