Skip to main content

In Between



            I love learning about the Church Calendar and how it points us to Christ.  I discovered that the Twelve Days of Christmas are part of the Church Calendar.  It is the twelve day festival, starting on December 25 and ending on January 5.  This is known as the season of Christmas that follows Advent and precedes Epiphany which starts on January 6.  Both Christmas Day (December 25) and Epiphany (January 6) are permanent Feast Days—meaning they are always celebrated on the same dates no matter whether it is a certain day of the week—and they do not change depending on cycle of the moon as some Feast days, including Easter. 
            I love taking these twelve days to focus my heart on taking a spiritual inventory.  Its perfect timing for me since my birthday occurs on the third day of Christmas.  It also gives me permission to leave up my Christmas decorations and Christmas lights until January 6.  It’s a great time for reflection since New Year’s Day occurs on the Eighth Day of Christmas.  During this in between time after Christmas is over, I encourage you to think about the way you lived the past year and prayerfully consider where God may be calling you for the one just ahead.
            Some thoughts for reflection:
What has been the worst event of the past year?
What have been the joys of the previous year?
What have you learned about God and how have you grown though them?
What are your concerns for the upcoming year?
What is God calling you to do?
            Ephesians 2:10 says:  For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.  The year ahead has been thought about by God.  He has prepared in advance for every challenge, joy, loss, and gain that we have yet to experience.  For us, it is a mystery yet to be lived.  For God, it is a handmade offering to help us know and love Him better.  We will miss out if we do not take time to reflect with His leading.
            Another idea is to ask God to show you a theme word and a theme verse for the year ahead.  I am always amazed that He singles something out for me.  I am never prepared for how that theme is lived out in the coming year, but the word is always right for what is ahead.
            It’s the fifth day of Christmas and you have seven more until Epiphany.  In between you will experience the turning over of the calendar to a whole new year.  It’s not too late to breathe in the season of Christmas and let it be totally spiritual, joyful, reflective and setting yourself up for a truly meaningful year ahead.
Copyright 2014. Deborah R Newman teatimeforyoursoul.com  All Rights Reserved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fifth Monday in Lent through Palm Sunday

Fifth Monday in Lent: Righteousness Needed Jesus is all about bringing us righteousness yet we are too worldly focused to think we have much of a need for righteousness. Most of us think we need healing or exciting miracles. We might try to get a little righteousness by going to church on Sunday and giving some spare change to a beggar. God sees the bigger picture and knows that there is nothing which we are more bankrupt than righteousness. He sees that we are totally incapable of getting the righteousness we need through our own actions, so He sent Jesus to give us His righteousness through His sacrificial work on the cross. Lent is a season of repentance and preparation for the Easter celebration. No matter how sacrificial your Lenten fast, it could never be enough to earn your righteousness. I have been practicing Lent for   years, and every year at the end of my fast I come face to face with how far I am from righteousness. Some of the first recorded words of Jesus in th

Lenten Devotions

First Monday in Lent: Lent—Winter/Spring I took a weekend Silent Lenten Retreat and learned how special the season of Lent (which means Spring) really is. Being in the lovely setting where winter-spring becomes its own season; I discovered that the transformation from winter to spring reveals the transformation of our souls in Lent. We had an absolutely gorgeous weekend to enjoy solitude with God. Lent is a perfect season to see in nature what God is drawing out of us through the spiritual disciplines we focus on through penitence and preparation for Easter. It is the in-between season that shows us a lot about what we are doing spiritually through our focus on confession. From a distance winter can seem stark and ugly. I feel the same way about confession. But if you take the time to see the winter you can see that the winter season reveals realities that get masked over by the growth of summer. In winter you become aware of what needs to be cleared away. In the same way the con

The Troubled Christian Life

              When I surrendered my vocation to God back when I was seventeen-years-old, He called me to a life of walking through the most broken realities that people face in a first-world country.  The verse that led me to this life was 2 Corinthians 1:3-4.  Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort,   who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God .  I began counseling others at the ripe age of 23.  I looked like I could have still been in high school, and the patients given to me rightly had their doubts.  I had my doubts too.  I knew that I didn’t have the wisdom to counseling people double my age.  I didn’t have a lot of experience of deep wounds either so I couldn’t talk to them from my own experiences of deep brokenness.  I was only helpful to them because I relied totally on the word of God and the presence of the Holy Spirit