Skip to main content

Waiting with Love



In the best of times Christmas warms our hearts with love.  In the midst of the hustle and haggling of the season, even the news is peppered with nostalgic tales of loving-kindness expressed to strangers at Christmas.  Hearts seem to grow warmer, not wanting anyone to miss out on the joy of feeling important during the Christmas season. 
                Mother Teresa said the greatest poverty in the world is the lack of love.  Our world certainly can use all the love we have to give.  As we move into the second week of Advent, the focus is on love.  It is the Bethlehem candle.  Bethlehem cradled the Love sent to the entire world. 
Mary is a perfect example of human love.  Her example calls us to the greatest love human hearts can hold.  It is love of God.  Mary demonstrated her love for God so fully in her response to the angel’s bizarre assignment that she had been chosen to become the mother of Jesus.  Unlike her Uncle Zechariah, she simply said, I am the Lord’s servant.  Her childlike faith is anchored in her great love and trust in God.  Daily, she had opened her whole heart, mind and spirit to God.  She intuited that He is loving, good and kind, even if His ways were beyond her own understanding.
            How much do you love God?  Are you willing to risk it all out of love for Him like Mary?  Are you willing to be embarrassed for Him?  Is your love for God the driving force behind the reason you do what you do?  There is no greater way to show your love for God than to give your will over to Him.  Love for God is surrender.
            Love for God is the most powerful emotion anyone can express.  It is healing and gives healing to others.  When we give our love fully and devotedly to God, as Mary did, our souls find our purpose.  Thomas Keating described the love Mary showed this way:
To do God’s will is to lose one’s own separate identity.  To consent to the fact of God’s interior presence is to know where you came from and where you are going.  It is to know who you are.  Do you consent to become divine?  That is the question asked of us today.  The second question is more concrete.  Will you consent to express me, your God, in your body?  That is scary!  To be God in everything we say and do and are!  Such is the radical consent that our Lady gave.
As I wait for Christmas this advent, I am challenged by the weakness of my love.  I know that I will never express the love I was created to know until I focus my love completely on God the way Mary did.  Loving God transforms me.  It gives me courage to do things for which I am not capable.  It enables me to forgive, to wait, to believe, to hope. 
As I wait for Christmas, I want to grow more and more in love with God who sent His Son Jesus to live as one of us, to die and to rise again so that our love can last for eternity.  I want to love God above myself, my relationships, my dignity, my family, my future dreams just like Mary.
Copyright © 2014.  Deborah R Newman teatimeforyoursoul.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fifth Monday in Lent through Palm Sunday

Fifth Monday in Lent: Righteousness Needed Jesus is all about bringing us righteousness yet we are too worldly focused to think we have much of a need for righteousness. Most of us think we need healing or exciting miracles. We might try to get a little righteousness by going to church on Sunday and giving some spare change to a beggar. God sees the bigger picture and knows that there is nothing which we are more bankrupt than righteousness. He sees that we are totally incapable of getting the righteousness we need through our own actions, so He sent Jesus to give us His righteousness through His sacrificial work on the cross. Lent is a season of repentance and preparation for the Easter celebration. No matter how sacrificial your Lenten fast, it could never be enough to earn your righteousness. I have been practicing Lent for   years, and every year at the end of my fast I come face to face with how far I am from righteousness. Some of the first recorded words of Jesus in th

Lenten Devotions

First Monday in Lent: Lent—Winter/Spring I took a weekend Silent Lenten Retreat and learned how special the season of Lent (which means Spring) really is. Being in the lovely setting where winter-spring becomes its own season; I discovered that the transformation from winter to spring reveals the transformation of our souls in Lent. We had an absolutely gorgeous weekend to enjoy solitude with God. Lent is a perfect season to see in nature what God is drawing out of us through the spiritual disciplines we focus on through penitence and preparation for Easter. It is the in-between season that shows us a lot about what we are doing spiritually through our focus on confession. From a distance winter can seem stark and ugly. I feel the same way about confession. But if you take the time to see the winter you can see that the winter season reveals realities that get masked over by the growth of summer. In winter you become aware of what needs to be cleared away. In the same way the con

The Troubled Christian Life

              When I surrendered my vocation to God back when I was seventeen-years-old, He called me to a life of walking through the most broken realities that people face in a first-world country.  The verse that led me to this life was 2 Corinthians 1:3-4.  Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort,   who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God .  I began counseling others at the ripe age of 23.  I looked like I could have still been in high school, and the patients given to me rightly had their doubts.  I had my doubts too.  I knew that I didn’t have the wisdom to counseling people double my age.  I didn’t have a lot of experience of deep wounds either so I couldn’t talk to them from my own experiences of deep brokenness.  I was only helpful to them because I relied totally on the word of God and the presence of the Holy Spirit