Skip to main content

What is Faith?

            Thomas Keating wrote: One who has this faith simply opens his eyes and, wherever he looks, finds God.

Hebrews 11:6 describes what that means: And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.

Faith is a leap into the unknown, the invisible and the incomputable.  Faith is finding the light of God in the darkness of your circumstances.  There is a darkness of faith that is illuminated by experience.  Faith grows deeper when we learn how to see God where without faith all we see is darkness.  God asks us to accept Him for who He is.  This is where faith becomes faith.  When we can see our faith growing in the midst of the darkness of seemingly insurmountable circumstances, we are moving towards real faith.   Since God is infinite, perfect, and incomprehensible, faith in God believes that He is and that He rewards, if not here on earth, in eternity.

Faith deepens as we experience the peace of His presence even when we can’t see how it works.  I don’t know how you grow in faith if you don’t face obstacles that you cannot see a way around.  Deeper faith calls out of you certainty in the darkness.  If your world makes perfect sense to you then you may not be growing in faith; rather you may be growing in self-reliance and predictability.  That’s not at all what God wants for our souls.  Our time on earth when we cannot see God is the greatest opportunity for pure faith.

Faith no longer needs spiritual experiences to confirm what the soul has chosen to believe about God.  Mother Teresa’s journals, released after her death, reveal that God did not give her the spiritual assurances others of us receive. It wasn’t that she didn’t please Him, it was that He was drawing out of her the deeper faith her soul was capable of experiencing.

Faith is seeing the light where others only see darkness.  Our lifetimes are an opportunity to develop deepening experiences of faith. 

Darker passages create more opportunity for greater faith.  Faith is like breath for the soul. What dark places is God allowing in your life?  How are you seeing your soul transformed by faith?  My faith is strengthened when I see God in the ordinary.  It helps me see Him when times are extraordinarily rough as well as when the blessings come one right after another. 

Life on earth is a walk of faith.  Year to year we can have a deeper faith or make little spiritual progress.

Copyright ©2014  Deborah R Newman teatimeforyousoul.com  All Rights Reserved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fifth Monday in Lent through Palm Sunday

Fifth Monday in Lent: Righteousness Needed Jesus is all about bringing us righteousness yet we are too worldly focused to think we have much of a need for righteousness. Most of us think we need healing or exciting miracles. We might try to get a little righteousness by going to church on Sunday and giving some spare change to a beggar. God sees the bigger picture and knows that there is nothing which we are more bankrupt than righteousness. He sees that we are totally incapable of getting the righteousness we need through our own actions, so He sent Jesus to give us His righteousness through His sacrificial work on the cross. Lent is a season of repentance and preparation for the Easter celebration. No matter how sacrificial your Lenten fast, it could never be enough to earn your righteousness. I have been practicing Lent for   years, and every year at the end of my fast I come face to face with how far I am from righteousness. Some of the first recorded words of Jesus in th

Lenten Devotions

First Monday in Lent: Lent—Winter/Spring I took a weekend Silent Lenten Retreat and learned how special the season of Lent (which means Spring) really is. Being in the lovely setting where winter-spring becomes its own season; I discovered that the transformation from winter to spring reveals the transformation of our souls in Lent. We had an absolutely gorgeous weekend to enjoy solitude with God. Lent is a perfect season to see in nature what God is drawing out of us through the spiritual disciplines we focus on through penitence and preparation for Easter. It is the in-between season that shows us a lot about what we are doing spiritually through our focus on confession. From a distance winter can seem stark and ugly. I feel the same way about confession. But if you take the time to see the winter you can see that the winter season reveals realities that get masked over by the growth of summer. In winter you become aware of what needs to be cleared away. In the same way the con

The Troubled Christian Life

              When I surrendered my vocation to God back when I was seventeen-years-old, He called me to a life of walking through the most broken realities that people face in a first-world country.  The verse that led me to this life was 2 Corinthians 1:3-4.  Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort,   who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God .  I began counseling others at the ripe age of 23.  I looked like I could have still been in high school, and the patients given to me rightly had their doubts.  I had my doubts too.  I knew that I didn’t have the wisdom to counseling people double my age.  I didn’t have a lot of experience of deep wounds either so I couldn’t talk to them from my own experiences of deep brokenness.  I was only helpful to them because I relied totally on the word of God and the presence of the Holy Spirit