Skip to main content

Journaling to Peace


 

            There is no better place to learn how to talk to God than in the Psalms of David.  God pointed David out to us as a man who had a heart for God.  As you read the Psalms of David, you are reading the very words spoken from the heart of David to the heart of God.  Though God’s communication is not directly written, the guidance He gave to David’s heart in the midst of his despair is clear.  Once David started his anguish regarding his present circumstances directly to God, who God really is became a reality in the midst of the storm.  He began painting a picture of where God is and who God is when his world was falling apart.  This is a great pattern for us.  The Psalms, more than any other book of the Bible, contain words that connect our hearts to God’s heart.

 You could look at the book of Psalms as personal journal excerpts David wrote during the most devastating circumstances of his life.  Psalm 57 is a perfect example.  David wrote these beautiful words that have been sung for centuries as part of worship services to guide souls from the darkness into the light.  David wrote poignant descriptions of the frightful circumstances in which he found himself.  Though he was anointed by Samuel, the last Judge of Israel, to become the future King of Israel, he was hiding in caves from the reigning King who wanted to kill him.  In his writing he demonstrates the spiritual discipline and spiritual transformation that come from journaling.

            I have been journaling for almost forty years.  This means I have shelves of scribbles containing God’s personal messages to me in writing that would not only be hard to decipher by a family member, but even to myself.  Yet, these journals are important because they contain the way God encourages me and transforms my soul from disinterest in His kingdom to focus on His will for each and every day.  It is the place I ask questions about the purpose of my life and receive comfort regularly, but rarely do I receive direct answers.  In a way, it is the place where God shows me the perspective He wants me to have on my present circumstances, just as He did for David.

Writing about the soul’s despair is healing in itself.  Here’s an example from Psalm 57:4, 6:  I am in the midst of lions; I am forced to dwell among ravenous beasts—men whose teeth are spears and arrows, whose tongues are sharp swords… They spread a net for my feet— I was bowed down in distress.  They dug a pit in my path—but they have fallen into it themselves.

David wrote about his soul’s despair, and then remembered who God is in the midst of it all.  Writing and remembering God is what healed him. In the following verses he wrote:  My heart, O God, is steadfast, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music.  Awake, my soul!  Awake, harp and lyre!  I will awaken the dawn (Psalm 57:7-8).

Before our very eyes we witness the healing that results from honest conversation with God.  God is big enough to hear our heart’s most appalling complaints.  He knows our finite minds cannot fully comprehend His answers, so He gives us His peace through remembering that He is God; He is with us; He cares about us; He will never leave us.  The miracle of peace results from journaling honestly from your heart to the heart of God.

Copyright ©2014.  Deborah R. Newman teatimeforyoursoul.com  All Rights Reserved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fifth Monday in Lent through Palm Sunday

Fifth Monday in Lent: Righteousness Needed Jesus is all about bringing us righteousness yet we are too worldly focused to think we have much of a need for righteousness. Most of us think we need healing or exciting miracles. We might try to get a little righteousness by going to church on Sunday and giving some spare change to a beggar. God sees the bigger picture and knows that there is nothing which we are more bankrupt than righteousness. He sees that we are totally incapable of getting the righteousness we need through our own actions, so He sent Jesus to give us His righteousness through His sacrificial work on the cross. Lent is a season of repentance and preparation for the Easter celebration. No matter how sacrificial your Lenten fast, it could never be enough to earn your righteousness. I have been practicing Lent for   years, and every year at the end of my fast I come face to face with how far I am from righteousness. Some of the first recorded words of Jesus in th

Lenten Devotions

First Monday in Lent: Lent—Winter/Spring I took a weekend Silent Lenten Retreat and learned how special the season of Lent (which means Spring) really is. Being in the lovely setting where winter-spring becomes its own season; I discovered that the transformation from winter to spring reveals the transformation of our souls in Lent. We had an absolutely gorgeous weekend to enjoy solitude with God. Lent is a perfect season to see in nature what God is drawing out of us through the spiritual disciplines we focus on through penitence and preparation for Easter. It is the in-between season that shows us a lot about what we are doing spiritually through our focus on confession. From a distance winter can seem stark and ugly. I feel the same way about confession. But if you take the time to see the winter you can see that the winter season reveals realities that get masked over by the growth of summer. In winter you become aware of what needs to be cleared away. In the same way the con

The Troubled Christian Life

              When I surrendered my vocation to God back when I was seventeen-years-old, He called me to a life of walking through the most broken realities that people face in a first-world country.  The verse that led me to this life was 2 Corinthians 1:3-4.  Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort,   who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God .  I began counseling others at the ripe age of 23.  I looked like I could have still been in high school, and the patients given to me rightly had their doubts.  I had my doubts too.  I knew that I didn’t have the wisdom to counseling people double my age.  I didn’t have a lot of experience of deep wounds either so I couldn’t talk to them from my own experiences of deep brokenness.  I was only helpful to them because I relied totally on the word of God and the presence of the Holy Spirit