Skip to main content

Passionate Prayer


 

            I hope that none of us lives a whole day without prayer.  I know it happens from time to time, but hopefully we are smart enough to know a day without prayer is not worth living.  Each day needs prayer but there are times and circumstances that require passionate prayer. 

            Passionate prayer is how you pray when your loved one is facing the battle of his life.  An example of passionate prayer is the Woman from Cana.  Here’s a description of her prayer life from Matthew 15:21-28.

21 Leaving that place, Jesus withdrew to the region of Tyre and Sidon. 22 A Canaanite woman from that vicinity came to him, crying out, “Lord, Son of David, have mercy on me! My daughter is demon-possessed and suffering terribly.”

23 Jesus did not answer a word. So his disciples came to him and urged him, “Send her away, for she keeps crying out after us.”

24 He answered, “I was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel.”

25 The woman came and knelt before him. “Lord, help me!” she said.

26 He replied, “It is not right to take the children’s bread and toss it to the dogs.”

27 “Yes it is, Lord,” she said. “Even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their master’s table.”

28 Then Jesus said to her, “Woman, you have great faith! Your request is granted.” And her daughter was healed at that moment.

           

            Another mother, who prayed so passionately the Priest thought she was drunk in church, was baron Hannah when she prayed to be given a son in 1 Samuel 1:12-18.

 

            Passionate prayer never gives up until the request is answered.  Seemingly no response, or worsening conditions won’t frustrate passionate prayer, rather prayer intensifies.  I have known some mothers who have prayed passionate prayers and they have seen results after years of never giving up.  Unwillingness to give up on your prayer until Jesus tells you to stop is an example of passionate prayer. 

 

            I hope you will experience realities on this earth where prayer is your only answer.  Our life experiences can develop us into passionate prayer warriors.  Impossible circumstances are the only way to learn the spiritual growth of passionate prayer.

 

            I’m not sure if the Woman from Cana was aware that Jesus was drawing deeper faith from her through His silence and lack of response to her prayer; or if she was just so desperate she had no other place to go until He would listen to her request on behalf of her daughter.  Jesus’ silence appeared to the disciples as lack of interest in her particular problem.  Jesus’ silence appeared to her as reason to yell louder and become more intense in her effort to help her daughter. 

 

            Jesus was growing more and more impressed by the prayers of this woman.  She even had the wisdom to accept the truth that Jesus was sent to the Jews by believing she only needed a crumb that fell from Jesus for her daughter to receive her miracle. 

 

            Passionate prayer is not reserved just for moms.  We each can grow spiritually by becoming passionate for someone else in prayer.  Who is God calling for you to pray passionate prayers?

 

Copyright © 2014.  Deborah R Newman teatimeforyoursoul.com  All Rights Reserved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fifth Monday in Lent through Palm Sunday

Fifth Monday in Lent: Righteousness Needed Jesus is all about bringing us righteousness yet we are too worldly focused to think we have much of a need for righteousness. Most of us think we need healing or exciting miracles. We might try to get a little righteousness by going to church on Sunday and giving some spare change to a beggar. God sees the bigger picture and knows that there is nothing which we are more bankrupt than righteousness. He sees that we are totally incapable of getting the righteousness we need through our own actions, so He sent Jesus to give us His righteousness through His sacrificial work on the cross. Lent is a season of repentance and preparation for the Easter celebration. No matter how sacrificial your Lenten fast, it could never be enough to earn your righteousness. I have been practicing Lent for   years, and every year at the end of my fast I come face to face with how far I am from righteousness. Some of the first recorded words of Jesus in th

Lenten Devotions

First Monday in Lent: Lent—Winter/Spring I took a weekend Silent Lenten Retreat and learned how special the season of Lent (which means Spring) really is. Being in the lovely setting where winter-spring becomes its own season; I discovered that the transformation from winter to spring reveals the transformation of our souls in Lent. We had an absolutely gorgeous weekend to enjoy solitude with God. Lent is a perfect season to see in nature what God is drawing out of us through the spiritual disciplines we focus on through penitence and preparation for Easter. It is the in-between season that shows us a lot about what we are doing spiritually through our focus on confession. From a distance winter can seem stark and ugly. I feel the same way about confession. But if you take the time to see the winter you can see that the winter season reveals realities that get masked over by the growth of summer. In winter you become aware of what needs to be cleared away. In the same way the con

The Troubled Christian Life

              When I surrendered my vocation to God back when I was seventeen-years-old, He called me to a life of walking through the most broken realities that people face in a first-world country.  The verse that led me to this life was 2 Corinthians 1:3-4.  Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort,   who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God .  I began counseling others at the ripe age of 23.  I looked like I could have still been in high school, and the patients given to me rightly had their doubts.  I had my doubts too.  I knew that I didn’t have the wisdom to counseling people double my age.  I didn’t have a lot of experience of deep wounds either so I couldn’t talk to them from my own experiences of deep brokenness.  I was only helpful to them because I relied totally on the word of God and the presence of the Holy Spirit