Skip to main content

The Bliss of Knowing You are Loved by God

            There is bliss of knowing that you are loved by a real and intimate God.  I have felt that bliss. I don’t experience it all the time and sometimes it takes me a while to notice how much I miss it.  Often I come back to my senses when I read the spiritual writings of one who is explaining how great God is and I am reminded how good He is to me. 

            I suppose the saints stayed more connected to the bliss of God on a regular basis and missed it far less than me.  I wish I knew their secret; all I can tell you is that it is a cycle for me to find myself unaware of God for a time.  It is often a struggle to reconnect each day.

What brought me to my senses recently was a huge blessing He sent my way.  This good thing literally came to me directly from the hand of God.  I didn’t even consider sharing the joy I was feeling with anyone else but Him.  It was so personal only God could give me this gift in the way it was given.  Sometimes we get what we want and forget God for a while, we are so overcome by the earthly experience.  That did not happen to me this time.  I could only wonder how He could be so personal, kind and elaborate in His care for me.  The blessing isn’t in what I received as much as in Who gave the gift.  The Giver gives me more joy than the gift.

The bliss of God is experienced when we recognize the great things God has done for us.  Psalm 126:3 says: The Lord has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy. That is the reason for my sudden awareness of the bliss of being known by God.  When God does something so personal and so specific to your heart’s desire, you feel the bliss of God. 

Now my questions for you are: Do you know what I am talking about?  When is the last time you were overwhelmed by God’s love for you?  Do you know that having a relationship with God includes feeling amazed by his love?  Does feeling the bliss of God seem an unholy thought to you?

Each day includes little ways that we can connect to the love of God.  The sunrise and sunset, the moon and stars, taking in a deep breath of the life-giving oxygen are all reasons to realize the bliss of God.  What can you thank God for in this moment right now? 

Your life does not have to be full of good things to feel the bliss of God.  The bliss of God is about knowing God is there, He is for you, He is with you, and He is giving you what you need.  I feel the bliss of God when I am able to see Him in spite of the most difficult circumstances.  I think that was what Paul was describing to King Agrippa in Acts 26:22:  But God has helped me to this very day; so I stand here and testify to small and great alike.  Paul could see that God was helping him, with him, for him, even as he stood a condemned prisoner before King Agrippa.  I have no doubt that Paul was freer, happier and more content that the ruler of that land whom he was addressing.

There’s nothing like the bliss of God!  I hope you find it.

Copyright © 2014.  Deborah R Newman teatimeforyoursoul.com  All Rights Reserved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fifth Monday in Lent through Palm Sunday

Fifth Monday in Lent: Righteousness Needed Jesus is all about bringing us righteousness yet we are too worldly focused to think we have much of a need for righteousness. Most of us think we need healing or exciting miracles. We might try to get a little righteousness by going to church on Sunday and giving some spare change to a beggar. God sees the bigger picture and knows that there is nothing which we are more bankrupt than righteousness. He sees that we are totally incapable of getting the righteousness we need through our own actions, so He sent Jesus to give us His righteousness through His sacrificial work on the cross. Lent is a season of repentance and preparation for the Easter celebration. No matter how sacrificial your Lenten fast, it could never be enough to earn your righteousness. I have been practicing Lent for   years, and every year at the end of my fast I come face to face with how far I am from righteousness. Some of the first recorded words of Jesus in th

Lenten Devotions

First Monday in Lent: Lent—Winter/Spring I took a weekend Silent Lenten Retreat and learned how special the season of Lent (which means Spring) really is. Being in the lovely setting where winter-spring becomes its own season; I discovered that the transformation from winter to spring reveals the transformation of our souls in Lent. We had an absolutely gorgeous weekend to enjoy solitude with God. Lent is a perfect season to see in nature what God is drawing out of us through the spiritual disciplines we focus on through penitence and preparation for Easter. It is the in-between season that shows us a lot about what we are doing spiritually through our focus on confession. From a distance winter can seem stark and ugly. I feel the same way about confession. But if you take the time to see the winter you can see that the winter season reveals realities that get masked over by the growth of summer. In winter you become aware of what needs to be cleared away. In the same way the con

The Troubled Christian Life

              When I surrendered my vocation to God back when I was seventeen-years-old, He called me to a life of walking through the most broken realities that people face in a first-world country.  The verse that led me to this life was 2 Corinthians 1:3-4.  Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort,   who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God .  I began counseling others at the ripe age of 23.  I looked like I could have still been in high school, and the patients given to me rightly had their doubts.  I had my doubts too.  I knew that I didn’t have the wisdom to counseling people double my age.  I didn’t have a lot of experience of deep wounds either so I couldn’t talk to them from my own experiences of deep brokenness.  I was only helpful to them because I relied totally on the word of God and the presence of the Holy Spirit