Skip to main content

How Does the Cross of Christ Meet Every Need?


           
            I have been telling people for years that the cross has all the answers for any problem we face in life.  Jesus demonstrates how to walk through anything that we must face in life by the way He, Himself walked to the cross.
           
            Surviving, loneliness, hurt from your father, sexual abuse, mockery, bullying, abandonment, injustice, death, singleness, betrayal, denial, separation from God, and all the realities of sin have become part of our lives.  We can look to Jesus the author and finisher of our faith (Hebrews 12:2) to endure the crosses we each are asked to bear as a part of living in a sinful world.  Every answer to every problem is found in the cross.
           
            Today my problem is my inability to cope with technology and being taken advantage of by what the Bible calls usury or being ripped off.  How can a problem like that be answered in the cross?  Jesus didn’t live in the technological age in which I live.  How can He really help?  I stopped and thought about the cross.  What could Jesus teach me? How could I follow Jesus with a twenty-first century problem like this?

My technical problem was far beyond my understanding, and I had no other recourse but to pray.  I prayed like Jesus; Why is this happening right now?  Why is it happening today when I set aside just enough time to finish my devotional writing so I could do the next three things on my list of things to do?  I prayed and I kept working on the problem.  I could not write the devotion until the technical problem was solved.  I prayed and started over.  I did the same things I had done before.  After one hour the result was different.  I was given a resolution to the technical problem that to this day I cannot explain why or how it worked.  Perhaps my technology problem in the middle of writing my devotion was purposed by God so I would learn this example about the cross showing us how to walk through all problems.

            Because of the cross I can find hope and victory.  Death was destroyed by the cross.  Sin lost its domination of my soul because of the cross.  When I feel abandoned, mocked and attacked, judged, abused, hurt, dying. I can find hope from the cross of Christ.

            Hebrews 12:2 exhorts us:  Fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.  With Jesus, I learn to look at the crosses I am forced to endure and only temporary challenges that are a part of this world.  Each time I scorn the shame of the cross and endure it; I do so because I recognize the power the cross has to change eternity.  Each cross that I am forced to bear releases the power of God as He uses my crosses to reveal His glory.  For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God (1 Corinthians 1:18).


Copyright © 2016.  Deborah R Newman  teatimeforyoursoul.com  All Rights Reserved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fifth Monday in Lent through Palm Sunday

Fifth Monday in Lent: Righteousness Needed Jesus is all about bringing us righteousness yet we are too worldly focused to think we have much of a need for righteousness. Most of us think we need healing or exciting miracles. We might try to get a little righteousness by going to church on Sunday and giving some spare change to a beggar. God sees the bigger picture and knows that there is nothing which we are more bankrupt than righteousness. He sees that we are totally incapable of getting the righteousness we need through our own actions, so He sent Jesus to give us His righteousness through His sacrificial work on the cross. Lent is a season of repentance and preparation for the Easter celebration. No matter how sacrificial your Lenten fast, it could never be enough to earn your righteousness. I have been practicing Lent for   years, and every year at the end of my fast I come face to face with how far I am from righteousness. Some of the first recorded words of Jesus in th

A Pilgrimage that Started with Tears

                Who would think I would shed tears deciding to set out on a wonderful journey that I have longed to take for many years?   Before I was ready to fully accept God’s invitation for a pilgrimage to Jerusalem, I had to journey to a place of agreement between what my soul wanted and what the Lord wanted for me.   For years I have been declining opportunities to travel to Israel—not because I didn’t want to go but because I wanted to go with my husband by my side.   I know that God could have arranged that for me, but instead He asked me to accept that He wanted me to be willing to go and leave everything behind.   When I was asked to make a decision about going on a Pilgrimage to Jerusalem, God gave me this verse in answer to my prayer -- Debi, observe therefore all the commands I am giving you today, so that you may have the strength to go in and take over the land that you are crossing the Jordan to possess (Deuteronomy 11:8).   I decided through tears that I would go on

The Missing Tribe of Dan

            The reason I love studying the Bible with a group of people is that they teach me things I don’t know.   I love it when I don’t know the answer to a question.   That is how I learn.   So when someone recounted the ugly tail of Dan’s idolatry in Judges 18 concluding with the passage in Judges 18:30-31 :   There the Danites set up for themselves the idol, and Jonathan son of Gershom, the son of Moses, and his sons were priests for the tribe of Dan until the time of the captivity of the land.   They continued to use the idol Micah had made, all the time the house of God was in Shiloh. I wanted to know if that could possibly be true that the Danites never ever worshiped God!   How could that be?             Before I had a chance to settle that question, someone in the class read the passage from Revelation 7 where the tribe of Dan was omitted.   I never considered that!   I never realized that a whole tribe of Israel was not found in the New Testament.   What could that