Skip to main content

Peace that Passes Understanding


            There is nothing else in the world like the peace that only can be received from God.  I have never known so much peace as I experience in the midst of my deepest suffering.  God has asked me to trust in Him through some very unexpected and unwanted circumstances.  Those who know me understand that my struggles might lead me to literally curl up in the fetal position in the back of my closet.  I may sound dramatic, but it is what my flesh would want to do in response to my circumstances.  God asks me to take a spiritual path and ignore the desires of my flesh.  When I trust in Him, He offers me a peace that I wish I could bottle and share with others.  The peace of God is offered to everyone, but it cannot be transferred.  It is a personal peace given only by a personal God.
            The peace of God is the thing that cannot be taken away, which Mary had and that Jesus longed for Martha to embrace.  In Luke 10: 41-42, Jesus answered, Martha:  You are worried and upset about many things but few things are needed—or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.  What could not be taken away from Mary was the PEACE of connecting with the presence of God.  I learned to receive this peace daily after the sudden death of my late husband several years ago.  I struggled to reach the place of peace, allowing myself to fall down into many pits of despair along the way; but eventually I would call out to God, and He would pull me to the landing of peace in spite of the harsh realities I was left to walk through.  With the peace He gave me He also enabled me to work in His kingdom, teach, write, disciple and show others how to walk through extreme grief and heartache.  I have spent my life trying to help others feel God’s love and healing.  I can only tell them about the peace I have found; I cannot give it to them.  Each one must ask God for this peace themselves.  Each one must lay down the desires of the flesh and accept the peace of the Spirit.
            When I recognize that peace in another’s life, I know that the Spirit of God is at work.  I’m not surprised that I have a peace that passes understanding described by Paul in Philippians 4:6-7: Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.  I am surprised when I recognize the same peace I have come to know in someone who has not necessarily been asking for it and struggling to receive it as long as I have.  In other words, I think I took the long, hard road to peace, and another received it instantly and perhaps more powerfully than I did.  It’s this comparison that causes me to celebrate God’s peace in a deeper way.  It is God’s peace.  He will give it to whomever in whatever manner is best in their life.  I received this peace on the spiritual path in which I allowed God to give peace.  Others take a direct path, especially after falling away from Him more dramatically.  Whenever any one of us has peace in the midst of harsh realities, we can know for certain that our Holy God is at work.  Peace comes only from God.  It is the devil’s worst enemy.  When we grasp God’s peace, we are able to stand and claim our ground.
            As I watch Jesus walk through Holy Week, I recognize the peace that God has shared with me in Him.  I see His acceptance of the utterly unacceptable.  I feel the peace that allows Him to look into Judas’ eyes and love him in spite of the betrayal He knows is coming.  Peace is a holy acceptance that living in a sinful world means that God has asked us to face what is totally wrong with an assurance that He will make it right in time.  For now, He gives us peace to sustain us.  It only comes from God.  It passes our understanding to call us to believe He is working out the pain for our good.

Copyright © 2016.  Deborah R Newman teatimeforyoursoul.com  All Rights Reserved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fifth Monday in Lent through Palm Sunday

Fifth Monday in Lent: Righteousness Needed Jesus is all about bringing us righteousness yet we are too worldly focused to think we have much of a need for righteousness. Most of us think we need healing or exciting miracles. We might try to get a little righteousness by going to church on Sunday and giving some spare change to a beggar. God sees the bigger picture and knows that there is nothing which we are more bankrupt than righteousness. He sees that we are totally incapable of getting the righteousness we need through our own actions, so He sent Jesus to give us His righteousness through His sacrificial work on the cross. Lent is a season of repentance and preparation for the Easter celebration. No matter how sacrificial your Lenten fast, it could never be enough to earn your righteousness. I have been practicing Lent for   years, and every year at the end of my fast I come face to face with how far I am from righteousness. Some of the first recorded words of Jesus in th

A Pilgrimage that Started with Tears

                Who would think I would shed tears deciding to set out on a wonderful journey that I have longed to take for many years?   Before I was ready to fully accept God’s invitation for a pilgrimage to Jerusalem, I had to journey to a place of agreement between what my soul wanted and what the Lord wanted for me.   For years I have been declining opportunities to travel to Israel—not because I didn’t want to go but because I wanted to go with my husband by my side.   I know that God could have arranged that for me, but instead He asked me to accept that He wanted me to be willing to go and leave everything behind.   When I was asked to make a decision about going on a Pilgrimage to Jerusalem, God gave me this verse in answer to my prayer -- Debi, observe therefore all the commands I am giving you today, so that you may have the strength to go in and take over the land that you are crossing the Jordan to possess (Deuteronomy 11:8).   I decided through tears that I would go on

The Troubled Christian Life

              When I surrendered my vocation to God back when I was seventeen-years-old, He called me to a life of walking through the most broken realities that people face in a first-world country.  The verse that led me to this life was 2 Corinthians 1:3-4.  Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort,   who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God .  I began counseling others at the ripe age of 23.  I looked like I could have still been in high school, and the patients given to me rightly had their doubts.  I had my doubts too.  I knew that I didn’t have the wisdom to counseling people double my age.  I didn’t have a lot of experience of deep wounds either so I couldn’t talk to them from my own experiences of deep brokenness.  I was only helpful to them because I relied totally on the word of God and the presence of the Holy Spirit