Skip to main content

Time

 
Time can feel like an eternity depending on the circumstances in which you find yourself. When engaging in a meaningful conversation, you may lose track of time; but managing each second of intensifying pain while waiting on your dental appointment can feel like an eternity.

The time between birthdays as a child can seem like forever; yet those same 365 days seem to fly by in a flash after adulthood sets in. Today is my mother-in-law’s eightieth birthday. The Bible teaches us to think of time as short. Psalm 90:12 says Teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom. A heart of wisdom will say there is just enough time for me to fulfill the ministry that God put me on this earth to do. Wisdom is knowing that God has given me only enough time to do what He planned for me to do. He won't waste a minute of my life, but how many minutes do I waste not focusing on what this life is really about?

Working through the grief of losing someone you love can cause time to feel foreign. After almost three months of living without our beloved husband and father, my children and I agreed that it feels like eternity. This experience causes me to be more mindful of time. Time passes whether if feels like an eternity or merely a breath. It is all the same. The time we have is all we have. If we knew how much each of us had exactly, it would probably cause us to waste it more. The Bible tells us that we should think of time and feel the reality of its limits so that we live wisely. Accept that time offers limits and opportunities. Be mindful of time.

I admire the way Brian’s parents experience time. They too have become more mindful of time and have hearts of wisdom as they spend the time God has given them on the earth. Though both of them have health challenges, they have outlived many of their friends. They spend their time in one another’s company looking for people with whom they can share a slice of grapefruit or a friendly conversation. One way that they keep their hearts set on wisdom as they number their days is the way they say goodbye to each day they live. Together they sing the hymn What a Day that will Be. They sing every verse. The chorus goes:

What a day that will be,

When my Jesus I shall see,

And I look upon His face,

The One who saved me by His grace;

When He takes me by the hand,

And leads me through the Promised Land,

What a day, glorious day that will be.


When they finish their hymn, Brian’s dad says See you later alligator, and Brian’s mom replies In a while crocodile. Then they go off to bed. It’s like a compline service saying goodbye to the day that has passed.

The key to keeping time from becoming a chronic condition to be endured is to see it as a prerequisite to eternity. When you get this reality down you begin to live with a heart of wisdom and time becomes a gift from the giver of life who has carefully marked out the time each one of us will be given on this earth. The focus should not be on how much time you have, but how you use the time you have.


Copyright © 2012. Deborah R. Newman www.teatimeforyoursoul.com All Rights Reserved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fifth Monday in Lent through Palm Sunday

Fifth Monday in Lent: Righteousness Needed Jesus is all about bringing us righteousness yet we are too worldly focused to think we have much of a need for righteousness. Most of us think we need healing or exciting miracles. We might try to get a little righteousness by going to church on Sunday and giving some spare change to a beggar. God sees the bigger picture and knows that there is nothing which we are more bankrupt than righteousness. He sees that we are totally incapable of getting the righteousness we need through our own actions, so He sent Jesus to give us His righteousness through His sacrificial work on the cross. Lent is a season of repentance and preparation for the Easter celebration. No matter how sacrificial your Lenten fast, it could never be enough to earn your righteousness. I have been practicing Lent for   years, and every year at the end of my fast I come face to face with how far I am from righteousness. Some of the first recorded words of Jesus in th

A Pilgrimage that Started with Tears

                Who would think I would shed tears deciding to set out on a wonderful journey that I have longed to take for many years?   Before I was ready to fully accept God’s invitation for a pilgrimage to Jerusalem, I had to journey to a place of agreement between what my soul wanted and what the Lord wanted for me.   For years I have been declining opportunities to travel to Israel—not because I didn’t want to go but because I wanted to go with my husband by my side.   I know that God could have arranged that for me, but instead He asked me to accept that He wanted me to be willing to go and leave everything behind.   When I was asked to make a decision about going on a Pilgrimage to Jerusalem, God gave me this verse in answer to my prayer -- Debi, observe therefore all the commands I am giving you today, so that you may have the strength to go in and take over the land that you are crossing the Jordan to possess (Deuteronomy 11:8).   I decided through tears that I would go on

The Troubled Christian Life

              When I surrendered my vocation to God back when I was seventeen-years-old, He called me to a life of walking through the most broken realities that people face in a first-world country.  The verse that led me to this life was 2 Corinthians 1:3-4.  Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort,   who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God .  I began counseling others at the ripe age of 23.  I looked like I could have still been in high school, and the patients given to me rightly had their doubts.  I had my doubts too.  I knew that I didn’t have the wisdom to counseling people double my age.  I didn’t have a lot of experience of deep wounds either so I couldn’t talk to them from my own experiences of deep brokenness.  I was only helpful to them because I relied totally on the word of God and the presence of the Holy Spirit