Skip to main content

The End of the Story


            I need to keep reminding myself that I know the end of the story.  When you read the Bible the beginning starts out so amazingly and it quickly goes downhill.  By the sixth chapter, God has to flood the entire universe.  The all-time low is when God is crucified and is laid in the grave.  That was literally and figuratively hitting rock bottom.

            You’ve got to read all the way until the end to know the end of the story.  If you read it from beginning to end, you will see Revelation as the ultimate in God’s love poured out over the entire universe. 

            I have to admit that it took me a while to read Revelation that way.  In fact, though I have been reading the Bible from beginning to end since I was 16, I never read Revelation until I was in my late thirties.  Frankly, it scared me.  I didn’t want to know the end of the story.  I worked on digesting the rest of the Bible.

Before the year 2000, a friend was teaching Precepts three-year study of Revelation.  I decided if Y2K was bringing on what was written in Revelation, I had better learn what it was all about.  I discovered that Revelation was not written so that we would chew our fingernails in anxiety and fear; rather it was given to open our hearts, minds and spirits to the wonder of our amazing God who has plans to do more than we can ask or think!  Revelation wasn’t written so we could come up with some timetable of end times; rather it was written so we can grow to the place where, like the angels, we will see what is happening on the earth and be able to say with them Great and marvelous are your deeds,


Lord God Almighty.
Just and true are your ways,
King of the nations.
Who will not fear you, Lord,
and bring glory to your name?
For you alone are holy.
All nations will come
and worship before you,
for your righteous acts have been revealed. (Revelation 15:3-4)

Now I’m glad because I know the end of the story.  I may not see it with my eyes or experience it in my circumstances, but I can trust God in my present distress because I know that one day I will see it like the angels see God’s actions in the universe He created.  What I can cling to now is that every action that God has taken from the beginning to the end of the story and has come from utter and complete love for me and His entire universe—including mosquitos. 

He wrote the end of the story, and I can’t wait to get there.  Because I know the end is going to be amazing, I will wait and live in expectation that it will be better than I imagined in my limitedness.

Copyright © Deborah R. Newman  www.teatimeforyoursoul.com.  All Rights Reserved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fifth Monday in Lent through Palm Sunday

Fifth Monday in Lent: Righteousness Needed Jesus is all about bringing us righteousness yet we are too worldly focused to think we have much of a need for righteousness. Most of us think we need healing or exciting miracles. We might try to get a little righteousness by going to church on Sunday and giving some spare change to a beggar. God sees the bigger picture and knows that there is nothing which we are more bankrupt than righteousness. He sees that we are totally incapable of getting the righteousness we need through our own actions, so He sent Jesus to give us His righteousness through His sacrificial work on the cross. Lent is a season of repentance and preparation for the Easter celebration. No matter how sacrificial your Lenten fast, it could never be enough to earn your righteousness. I have been practicing Lent for   years, and every year at the end of my fast I come face to face with how far I am from righteousness. Some of the first recorded words of Jesus in th

A Pilgrimage that Started with Tears

                Who would think I would shed tears deciding to set out on a wonderful journey that I have longed to take for many years?   Before I was ready to fully accept God’s invitation for a pilgrimage to Jerusalem, I had to journey to a place of agreement between what my soul wanted and what the Lord wanted for me.   For years I have been declining opportunities to travel to Israel—not because I didn’t want to go but because I wanted to go with my husband by my side.   I know that God could have arranged that for me, but instead He asked me to accept that He wanted me to be willing to go and leave everything behind.   When I was asked to make a decision about going on a Pilgrimage to Jerusalem, God gave me this verse in answer to my prayer -- Debi, observe therefore all the commands I am giving you today, so that you may have the strength to go in and take over the land that you are crossing the Jordan to possess (Deuteronomy 11:8).   I decided through tears that I would go on

The Missing Tribe of Dan

            The reason I love studying the Bible with a group of people is that they teach me things I don’t know.   I love it when I don’t know the answer to a question.   That is how I learn.   So when someone recounted the ugly tail of Dan’s idolatry in Judges 18 concluding with the passage in Judges 18:30-31 :   There the Danites set up for themselves the idol, and Jonathan son of Gershom, the son of Moses, and his sons were priests for the tribe of Dan until the time of the captivity of the land.   They continued to use the idol Micah had made, all the time the house of God was in Shiloh. I wanted to know if that could possibly be true that the Danites never ever worshiped God!   How could that be?             Before I had a chance to settle that question, someone in the class read the passage from Revelation 7 where the tribe of Dan was omitted.   I never considered that!   I never realized that a whole tribe of Israel was not found in the New Testament.   What could that