Skip to main content

What If?



              As I visited homes in an impoverished community, I was impacted by what can’t be taken away from God’s children.  It’s not easy to see as an American when you can’t imagine daily life without a microwave, not to mention a simple washing machine or even electricity. It’s overwhelming to recognize what is missing in these homes.  It’s hard to prepare people I bring on trips to see the lack of basic life needs we expect.  But what is available in abundance from our God is even harder to recognize.
              One reason is because the abundance doesn’t exist in every home.  Most of the homes are full of misery you would expect.  The hardness of life is evident on their bone-tired faces.  They feel hopeless and trapped.  I believe they see us looking at them and know that they should have something more.  Home after home does not have enough food, hygiene, and basic shelter.  Many don’t even have safety. 
            But there were a couple homes, lived in by women of faith, that gave me a far different feeling than pity; it opened my eyes to what cannot be taken away.  I started to think about our basic human needs, and I realized the importance of what Jesus promised.  Hebrews 13:8 says: Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.  There is one thing that is most needed to live this life well, and it is available to every human being who will tap into its rich resource. God will never permit what is most important to have in this life to be taken from us.  Nothing can damage it, no one can steal it, nothing can prevent His presence in our lives.  That something is prayer made possible by the Holy Spirit. The women I am referring to have found a way to connect deeply to His presence in their lives.
              Do I have a better life as I type on my computer in my air-conditioned house?  Maybe, and maybe not.  Am I aware of God’s presence?  Do I have faith in my belongings?  Am I wishing for more material possessions in this life?  Or can I see what God has given to me is just enough?  The Hebrew writer is quoting Moses in Deuteronomy 31:6. The Israelites lived out this same message from their tent homes with one pair of shoes that never wore out over forty years and minimal possessions.  They had everything they needed because they had a God who would never leave them or forsake them.  You or I would have given up on those flawed people, but not God.
              God may not give you everything you want, but He gives you everything you need.  Our problem is that we want human relationships, material comforts, and control over our world.  We want to be our own God so much that we devise ways that we can better control our discomfort in this world, not realizing that it keeps us from calling on God for our every need.
              What if you had everything you could imagine and more?  What if you knew you would never need to work another day?  You had all the health care necessary and would never lack money to pay the bills for whatever home you wanted.  What if you had all of that and yet did not have the possibility of having a God who would never leave you and never forsake you.  What would you have?  You would have hell.
              I’m glad that the ministry I worked with is bringing hope and dreams and education for a better life to the people who live in such poverty.  Their lives can get better with a little help.  However, their lives will not truly find meaning until they find the faith these neighbors have every day.  Women of faith living in poverty is a beautiful and humbling sight to witness.
Copyright © 2019 Deborah R Newman teatimeforyoursoul.com  All Rights Reserved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fifth Monday in Lent through Palm Sunday

Fifth Monday in Lent: Righteousness Needed Jesus is all about bringing us righteousness yet we are too worldly focused to think we have much of a need for righteousness. Most of us think we need healing or exciting miracles. We might try to get a little righteousness by going to church on Sunday and giving some spare change to a beggar. God sees the bigger picture and knows that there is nothing which we are more bankrupt than righteousness. He sees that we are totally incapable of getting the righteousness we need through our own actions, so He sent Jesus to give us His righteousness through His sacrificial work on the cross. Lent is a season of repentance and preparation for the Easter celebration. No matter how sacrificial your Lenten fast, it could never be enough to earn your righteousness. I have been practicing Lent for   years, and every year at the end of my fast I come face to face with how far I am from righteousness. Some of the first recorded words of Jesus in th

A Pilgrimage that Started with Tears

                Who would think I would shed tears deciding to set out on a wonderful journey that I have longed to take for many years?   Before I was ready to fully accept God’s invitation for a pilgrimage to Jerusalem, I had to journey to a place of agreement between what my soul wanted and what the Lord wanted for me.   For years I have been declining opportunities to travel to Israel—not because I didn’t want to go but because I wanted to go with my husband by my side.   I know that God could have arranged that for me, but instead He asked me to accept that He wanted me to be willing to go and leave everything behind.   When I was asked to make a decision about going on a Pilgrimage to Jerusalem, God gave me this verse in answer to my prayer -- Debi, observe therefore all the commands I am giving you today, so that you may have the strength to go in and take over the land that you are crossing the Jordan to possess (Deuteronomy 11:8).   I decided through tears that I would go on

The Missing Tribe of Dan

            The reason I love studying the Bible with a group of people is that they teach me things I don’t know.   I love it when I don’t know the answer to a question.   That is how I learn.   So when someone recounted the ugly tail of Dan’s idolatry in Judges 18 concluding with the passage in Judges 18:30-31 :   There the Danites set up for themselves the idol, and Jonathan son of Gershom, the son of Moses, and his sons were priests for the tribe of Dan until the time of the captivity of the land.   They continued to use the idol Micah had made, all the time the house of God was in Shiloh. I wanted to know if that could possibly be true that the Danites never ever worshiped God!   How could that be?             Before I had a chance to settle that question, someone in the class read the passage from Revelation 7 where the tribe of Dan was omitted.   I never considered that!   I never realized that a whole tribe of Israel was not found in the New Testament.   What could that