Skip to main content

Are You Ready for Advent?



              Advent begins this Sunday.  Advent includes the four Sundays before Christmas.  It is a season of preparation for the coming of Christ.  Advent also marks the beginning of the New Church Year.  The color of Advent is purple which signifies that this is a season of fasting and repentance.  Our culture has diverted its original intentions to a focus on food, parties, decorations galore, and red and green.  I learned from my friends in England that even the church liturgy reminds them when to start their Christmas pudding.  On the last Sunday before Advent, the prayer begins “Stir up, we beseech thee, Oh Lord the wills of thy faithful people.”  This prayer reminds parishioners to start their pudding that Sunday.  In the 14th century this pudding was a soup that was used for the days of fasting before Christmas.  By the 19th century it became a fermented sweet Christmas delight that required five weeks before ready. 
              I love the cultural parts of the season and how people become more generous and focused on the people who are suffering.  I have grown to long for the spiritual side of Advent and have learned to love it even more than the cute side of Christmas. 
              Advent is really about love.  It is the love God has for His creation.  Leave it to St John Chrysostom, the golden-mouthed preacher, to describe the ultimate reality of Advent.  He preached: “A virgin, a tree and a death were the symbols of our defeat.  The virgin was Eve; she had not yet known man; the tree was the tree of the knowledge of good and evil; and the death was Adam’s penalty.  But behold again a Virgin and a tree and a death, those symbols of defeat, become the symbols of his victory. For in place of Eve there is Mary; in place of the tree of knowledge of good and evil, the tree of the Cross; in place of the death of Adam, the death of Christ.”
Advent is ultimately about intimacy.  It is a season that hold many opportunities to draw closer to God by becoming more in awe of Him.  Can you imagine what He did at Christmas by sending His Son—a part of Himself—to earth to become first an embryo then a full human baby born at Christmas?  What kind of love made Christmas?  What moved God to become one of us?  The only answer we can fathom is love.  Matthew 1:23 says:  “The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel” (which means “God with us”).
God is with us.  The question is: Are we with God?  Advent is a good time to ask that question of myself.  As I begin the New Church Year on December 2, I can ponder—how can I use this season of Advent and the coming year to turn my soul more toward God and I am with the trappings of the world?  How can I set up my year to align more with His purposes for me?  What ways am I resisting following Him more fully? 
I want to enjoy all the Christmas season has to offer.  I will love the Christmas music, lights, gifts, kindness—I will avoid the shopping traffic whenever possible and thank God for the season of extravagant love and miracles.  I will set  my heart to prepare for the spiritual Christmas by seeking to widen my heart to the love of God that made Christmas.
Copyright © 2018.  Deborah R. Newman teatimeforyoursoul.com  All Rights Reserved.
Order Advent Devotion for yourself, or as a gift—on sale this week.

A daily devotion for Advent and Christmastide. Advent reveals the truth about who we are and why we are here. As our souls open to Advent, a reality that transcends the traditional warmth of the season comes into focus. The message of Christmas is to receive God's gift of His Son. As you count down to Christmas through the time-honored tradition of lighting a candle during each week of Advent, you will find guidance for getting off the Christmas-Pleasing Merry-Go-Round and discover the true hope love, joy and peace that Christmas brings.
$8 PURCHASE AT:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fifth Monday in Lent through Palm Sunday

Fifth Monday in Lent: Righteousness Needed Jesus is all about bringing us righteousness yet we are too worldly focused to think we have much of a need for righteousness. Most of us think we need healing or exciting miracles. We might try to get a little righteousness by going to church on Sunday and giving some spare change to a beggar. God sees the bigger picture and knows that there is nothing which we are more bankrupt than righteousness. He sees that we are totally incapable of getting the righteousness we need through our own actions, so He sent Jesus to give us His righteousness through His sacrificial work on the cross. Lent is a season of repentance and preparation for the Easter celebration. No matter how sacrificial your Lenten fast, it could never be enough to earn your righteousness. I have been practicing Lent for   years, and every year at the end of my fast I come face to face with how far I am from righteousness. Some of the first recorded words of Jesus in th

A Pilgrimage that Started with Tears

                Who would think I would shed tears deciding to set out on a wonderful journey that I have longed to take for many years?   Before I was ready to fully accept God’s invitation for a pilgrimage to Jerusalem, I had to journey to a place of agreement between what my soul wanted and what the Lord wanted for me.   For years I have been declining opportunities to travel to Israel—not because I didn’t want to go but because I wanted to go with my husband by my side.   I know that God could have arranged that for me, but instead He asked me to accept that He wanted me to be willing to go and leave everything behind.   When I was asked to make a decision about going on a Pilgrimage to Jerusalem, God gave me this verse in answer to my prayer -- Debi, observe therefore all the commands I am giving you today, so that you may have the strength to go in and take over the land that you are crossing the Jordan to possess (Deuteronomy 11:8).   I decided through tears that I would go on

The Missing Tribe of Dan

            The reason I love studying the Bible with a group of people is that they teach me things I don’t know.   I love it when I don’t know the answer to a question.   That is how I learn.   So when someone recounted the ugly tail of Dan’s idolatry in Judges 18 concluding with the passage in Judges 18:30-31 :   There the Danites set up for themselves the idol, and Jonathan son of Gershom, the son of Moses, and his sons were priests for the tribe of Dan until the time of the captivity of the land.   They continued to use the idol Micah had made, all the time the house of God was in Shiloh. I wanted to know if that could possibly be true that the Danites never ever worshiped God!   How could that be?             Before I had a chance to settle that question, someone in the class read the passage from Revelation 7 where the tribe of Dan was omitted.   I never considered that!   I never realized that a whole tribe of Israel was not found in the New Testament.   What could that