Skip to main content

Where Were Jesus' Three Friends?


              As we Journey from Ash Wednesday through Lent to Holy Week and land at our destination of Easter Sunday, let’s consider some of the people who were assigned to the space and time that these events took place and how their choices and experiences related to their experience of Jesus.  In our attempt to understand their statements and actions, we might see our own reaction to Jesus.
              The first three were missing during Easter week.  It seems they may have gone into hiding while all of Jerusalem was in a frenzy about whom He was and where He went that week.  Yet, their significance to the Easter story cannot be forgotten.  Jesus Himself stated that every time the story of Easter is told, their story, especially Mary’s actions, should be recounted.
              Of course, I am talking about Jesus’ three close friends from Bethany near Jerusalem—Lazarus, Martha and Mary.  These siblings were not only close friends of Jesus, but also enthusiastic about His ministry.  We first learn about them from Luke’s retelling of the day Martha hosted Him in her home (Luke 10:38-42).  Most notable from this story was the affirmation of Mary for being at His feet listening to what He said as what is better than being focused on  practical details required of the guests.  We wouldn’t know how dear they were to Jesus, nor that they had a brother called Lazarus, unless John took so much time setting up one of the miracles in his gospel, Jesus raising Lazarus from the dead (John 11).  It is in this reading that you learn that Lazarus was dearly loved by Jesus.  We also observe how differently these three characters relate to Christ.  There is a consistency to their characters.  Once again Martha is practical and active when interacting with Jesus (questioning His timing and worrying about offensive smells), while we find Mary always falling to the feet of Jesus even though she has the same questions as Martha.  All we know about Lazarus is that Jesus loved him very much and that when Lazarus was called out of the tomb after his obvious death, He listened and obeyed.
              Just before Holy Week is the last time these three are mentioned.  John’s gospel specifically states that six days before the Passover there was a dinner in Bethany, this time at Simon’s home.  Martha was there serving.  Lazarus was there reclining at the table with Jesus.  The disciples were there and others who were more open to considering that Jesus was the Messiah since He had raised Lazarus from the dead.  This family was most likely well known and well respected in the religious community, and their experiences with Jesus further validated His legitimacy.  Many believe that it was this miracle of Jesus that incited the Religious Leaders to an increased concern about having Him killed.  Mary did a beautiful thing in her response to Jesus that is to be remembered every Holy Week.  Mary brought a jar of perfume worth a year’s wages and broke it over Jesus’ feet and dried His feet with her hair. While Judas reacted negatively to her gesture of worship, Jesus explained that she had done a beautiful thing and that this act should be remembered at Holy Week in the years to come.  Then there is no mention of these close friends of Jesus either at the cross of Christ, or by name in Acts.  Their scent goes away from the gospel narratives.  We can only imagine the reason.  The most likely explanation is that they felt a need to go into hiding sooner than the disciples.  Lazarus’ life was being threatened as well as Jesus’ life.  The Religious Leaders wanted them both dead. 

              Perhaps some Jesus followers in Galilee offered their lakeside home as a retreat from Jerusalem and a hiding place from the death threat of the angry Religious Leaders.  We don’t know for sure.  What we do know is that before they faded away from the pages of the Bible, the three were where they were meant to be just before Holy Week.  Each in his or her own unique honored Jesus.  Lazarus sat beside Him, Martha served Him and Mary anointed Him for burial.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fifth Monday in Lent through Palm Sunday

Fifth Monday in Lent: Righteousness Needed Jesus is all about bringing us righteousness yet we are too worldly focused to think we have much of a need for righteousness. Most of us think we need healing or exciting miracles. We might try to get a little righteousness by going to church on Sunday and giving some spare change to a beggar. God sees the bigger picture and knows that there is nothing which we are more bankrupt than righteousness. He sees that we are totally incapable of getting the righteousness we need through our own actions, so He sent Jesus to give us His righteousness through His sacrificial work on the cross. Lent is a season of repentance and preparation for the Easter celebration. No matter how sacrificial your Lenten fast, it could never be enough to earn your righteousness. I have been practicing Lent for   years, and every year at the end of my fast I come face to face with how far I am from righteousness. Some of the first recorded words of Jesus in th

A Pilgrimage that Started with Tears

                Who would think I would shed tears deciding to set out on a wonderful journey that I have longed to take for many years?   Before I was ready to fully accept God’s invitation for a pilgrimage to Jerusalem, I had to journey to a place of agreement between what my soul wanted and what the Lord wanted for me.   For years I have been declining opportunities to travel to Israel—not because I didn’t want to go but because I wanted to go with my husband by my side.   I know that God could have arranged that for me, but instead He asked me to accept that He wanted me to be willing to go and leave everything behind.   When I was asked to make a decision about going on a Pilgrimage to Jerusalem, God gave me this verse in answer to my prayer -- Debi, observe therefore all the commands I am giving you today, so that you may have the strength to go in and take over the land that you are crossing the Jordan to possess (Deuteronomy 11:8).   I decided through tears that I would go on

The Troubled Christian Life

              When I surrendered my vocation to God back when I was seventeen-years-old, He called me to a life of walking through the most broken realities that people face in a first-world country.  The verse that led me to this life was 2 Corinthians 1:3-4.  Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort,   who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God .  I began counseling others at the ripe age of 23.  I looked like I could have still been in high school, and the patients given to me rightly had their doubts.  I had my doubts too.  I knew that I didn’t have the wisdom to counseling people double my age.  I didn’t have a lot of experience of deep wounds either so I couldn’t talk to them from my own experiences of deep brokenness.  I was only helpful to them because I relied totally on the word of God and the presence of the Holy Spirit