Skip to main content

Receiving God's Word


            God created us with a Spirit that is a receptor for His Word.  Our sinful nature drowns God’s Word.  Many people cannot make sense of the Bible as they read; it seems to come into their minds gets deflected out, and seems irrelevant to anything they experience.  The Bible must be read by the spirit within.  The Bible is a spiritual book that can only be understood by the spirit God put inside of us. 
            James 1:21 explains this fully: Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you.  We don’t recognize the prevalence of moral filth and evil that camouflages our spirits from the word that is planted within us.  It takes effort to walk away from the world’s desires and be humble enough to accept the spirit God gave us to read His Word.
            God’s Word has the power to transform our lives when we receive it from the spirit within.  I love to read God’s Word in many different ways.  The most transforming way that I read God’s Word is through my daily devotions.  This is when I am most fixed on humble acceptance of the power of God’s Word.  It is the time where a word or phrase of Scripture becomes a heart-to-heart interaction between me and heaven.  I feel the love of God encouraging and strengthening me for what I am experiencing in my life good or bad.  It is so vital to my life I will not leave my house without having a time for devotions.  I have learned how to get time with God during busy mission trips, on vacations, when I have to be up early for a meeting.  Daily connection with God from His Word has become as important as getting sleep and eating each day.
            I regularly study God’s Word with others.  I’m often teaching Bible study classes so it is not uncommon in my vocation to be studying God’s Word.  My heart is often touched and encouraged in this process, but mainly it’s my mind that is transformed.  I learn from studying how the Bible interprets the Bible and I learn from studying how others have come to understand a particular passage.  This kind of study is important to my life. What I have learned from all my study of the Bible so far is that I can never stop learning, even from familiar passages.  I remember a saying describing the Bible that it is shallow enough for a child to wade in it and as deep as the unexplored depths of the Ocean. 
            I sense the power of the Holy Spirit when I obey God’s Word.  Putting God’s word into action in my life is a different experience as well.  Sometimes I do things that seem contrary to reason like forgiving, or tithing when I have no money; yet it all works out.  Obedience to God’s Word creates breakthroughs that I could never have imagined.
            You have a place within where God’s Word is planted.  It is from that place that you will experience spiritual victory.  Let the Word of God connect you to that place and see the blessings that flow into your life.

Copyright © 2015. Deborah R Newman  teatimeforyoursoul.com  All Rights Reserved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fifth Monday in Lent through Palm Sunday

Fifth Monday in Lent: Righteousness Needed Jesus is all about bringing us righteousness yet we are too worldly focused to think we have much of a need for righteousness. Most of us think we need healing or exciting miracles. We might try to get a little righteousness by going to church on Sunday and giving some spare change to a beggar. God sees the bigger picture and knows that there is nothing which we are more bankrupt than righteousness. He sees that we are totally incapable of getting the righteousness we need through our own actions, so He sent Jesus to give us His righteousness through His sacrificial work on the cross. Lent is a season of repentance and preparation for the Easter celebration. No matter how sacrificial your Lenten fast, it could never be enough to earn your righteousness. I have been practicing Lent for   years, and every year at the end of my fast I come face to face with how far I am from righteousness. Some of the first recorded words of Jesus in th

A Pilgrimage that Started with Tears

                Who would think I would shed tears deciding to set out on a wonderful journey that I have longed to take for many years?   Before I was ready to fully accept God’s invitation for a pilgrimage to Jerusalem, I had to journey to a place of agreement between what my soul wanted and what the Lord wanted for me.   For years I have been declining opportunities to travel to Israel—not because I didn’t want to go but because I wanted to go with my husband by my side.   I know that God could have arranged that for me, but instead He asked me to accept that He wanted me to be willing to go and leave everything behind.   When I was asked to make a decision about going on a Pilgrimage to Jerusalem, God gave me this verse in answer to my prayer -- Debi, observe therefore all the commands I am giving you today, so that you may have the strength to go in and take over the land that you are crossing the Jordan to possess (Deuteronomy 11:8).   I decided through tears that I would go on

The Troubled Christian Life

              When I surrendered my vocation to God back when I was seventeen-years-old, He called me to a life of walking through the most broken realities that people face in a first-world country.  The verse that led me to this life was 2 Corinthians 1:3-4.  Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort,   who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God .  I began counseling others at the ripe age of 23.  I looked like I could have still been in high school, and the patients given to me rightly had their doubts.  I had my doubts too.  I knew that I didn’t have the wisdom to counseling people double my age.  I didn’t have a lot of experience of deep wounds either so I couldn’t talk to them from my own experiences of deep brokenness.  I was only helpful to them because I relied totally on the word of God and the presence of the Holy Spirit