Skip to main content

Jesus' Most Frequently Asked Question

          
            One of the most perplexing realities for Jesus is why people who know Him lack faith in Him.  I really don’t blame Him.  That is an excellent question.  He repeatedly asked His disciples about their faith. There are a total of 13 references in which Jesus asks a question related to faith if you count the times the question was repeated in Gospel accounts.
1.       Matthew 6:30--But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is alive and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?
2.       Matthew 8:26, Mark 4:40, Luke 8:25 (Jesus calms the storm)--Why are you afraid, O you of little faith?
3.       Matthew 14:31 (walking on water)--O you of little faith, why did you doubt?
4.       Matthew 16:8 (warning about Pharisees)-- O you of little faith, why are you discussing among yourselves the fact that you have no bread?
5.       Matthew 17:17, Mark 9:9, Luke 9:41, (healing demonic boy)-- O faithless and twisted generation, how long am I to be with you? How long am I to bear with you?
6.       Luke 12:42 (being ready for his return)--Who then is the faithful and wise manager, whom his master will set over his household, to give them their portion of food at the proper time?
7.       Luke 16:11 (parable of dishonest manager)--  If then you have not been faithful in the unrighteous wealth, who will entrust to you the true riches?
8.       Luke 16:12 (parable of dishonest manager)--  And if you have not been faithful in that which is another's, who will give you that which is your own?
9.       Luke 18:8 (parable of the persistent widow)-- I tell you, he will give justice to them speedily. Nevertheless, when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on earth?
            I think it is a great question to ask myself.  I need to check in with myself on a regular basis and ponder: Debi, Where is your faith?  Asking myself this question will turn around my doubts.  It was a simple question for Jesus.  Faith in God’s goodness came as natural to Him as breathing.  He never worried about the troubles the Pharisees would bring to Him that day.  He had faith that whatever He had to face with them God has permitted and God would protect Him.  Why don’t I think like that?
            Every day opens opportunity for faith.  Each time I exercise my faith, it not only makes me feel better, but my faith gets stronger.  My faith is not that everything will go my way.  My faith is that God is good and will guide me through whatever I face this day.
            What about you?  Does your faith cause Jesus to ponder why you don’t use it?  It’s there inside of you.  You have faith so why no use it?  The more you use it the easier it is to access.  Try going through one day keeping track of your faith.  Take notice of your faith.  Learn to use your faith until you have peace in all circumstances.

Copyright © 2015.  Deborah R Newman  teatimeforyousoul.com  All Rights Reserved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fifth Monday in Lent through Palm Sunday

Fifth Monday in Lent: Righteousness Needed Jesus is all about bringing us righteousness yet we are too worldly focused to think we have much of a need for righteousness. Most of us think we need healing or exciting miracles. We might try to get a little righteousness by going to church on Sunday and giving some spare change to a beggar. God sees the bigger picture and knows that there is nothing which we are more bankrupt than righteousness. He sees that we are totally incapable of getting the righteousness we need through our own actions, so He sent Jesus to give us His righteousness through His sacrificial work on the cross. Lent is a season of repentance and preparation for the Easter celebration. No matter how sacrificial your Lenten fast, it could never be enough to earn your righteousness. I have been practicing Lent for   years, and every year at the end of my fast I come face to face with how far I am from righteousness. Some of the first recorded words of Jesus in th

A Pilgrimage that Started with Tears

                Who would think I would shed tears deciding to set out on a wonderful journey that I have longed to take for many years?   Before I was ready to fully accept God’s invitation for a pilgrimage to Jerusalem, I had to journey to a place of agreement between what my soul wanted and what the Lord wanted for me.   For years I have been declining opportunities to travel to Israel—not because I didn’t want to go but because I wanted to go with my husband by my side.   I know that God could have arranged that for me, but instead He asked me to accept that He wanted me to be willing to go and leave everything behind.   When I was asked to make a decision about going on a Pilgrimage to Jerusalem, God gave me this verse in answer to my prayer -- Debi, observe therefore all the commands I am giving you today, so that you may have the strength to go in and take over the land that you are crossing the Jordan to possess (Deuteronomy 11:8).   I decided through tears that I would go on

The Troubled Christian Life

              When I surrendered my vocation to God back when I was seventeen-years-old, He called me to a life of walking through the most broken realities that people face in a first-world country.  The verse that led me to this life was 2 Corinthians 1:3-4.  Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort,   who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God .  I began counseling others at the ripe age of 23.  I looked like I could have still been in high school, and the patients given to me rightly had their doubts.  I had my doubts too.  I knew that I didn’t have the wisdom to counseling people double my age.  I didn’t have a lot of experience of deep wounds either so I couldn’t talk to them from my own experiences of deep brokenness.  I was only helpful to them because I relied totally on the word of God and the presence of the Holy Spirit