Skip to main content

Comfort

            I have known the comfort of God.  I have known that His comfort is unique and special and beyond reason.  I have felt His comfort over small losses and huge crises.  I have listened to people tell me about their most challenging experience on this earth and say that they would not change it if it meant missing out of the spiritual lessons learned.  I knew this, but I couldn't articulate why it was until my daughter explained it to me.   She was reading 2 Corinthians 1:3-4 which says:  Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God.  The scripture was made clearer to her by JI Packer:

This is a far stronger statement than might appear, because the English word comfort, both as a noun and as a verb, has lost so much of its meaning.  When, back in the sixteenth century, it was chosen for the translation of these verses, it meant what the Greek verb means, namely, renewal of strength through encouragement.  Today, when comfort suggests only some form of cushioning, making comfortable, and reducing pain, it is easy to miss the true thrust of what  Paul is saying.  Paul is praising the father for his endless supply of strength to keep us going and rising to every occasion, and Paul is assuring the Corinthians hereby that though they may think of him as down, he is not out yet.

Rachel commented: I realized I have been getting it all wrong.  I've been expecting/wanting the Father to take away pain, to soothe me with some celestial balm...but that is not how he works.  I've been upset and angry with him when he doesn't work that way.  He IS providing comfort...it's just through strength/encouragement...more of Himself.  And then verse four goes on to talk about how we provide that same comfort for others.  Obviously that makes more sense...we can't expect other friends to take away our sufferings/afflictions so we do strengthen each other through encouragement

            I had never looked at those verses in that way before.  I knew that God’s comfort reached down into the depths of me and brought me hope, but I never realized what was actually happening when I was comforted by God’s comfort.  His comfort does go far beyond reducing pain.  I am actually transformed and made stronger when I receive comfort from God.  No one else can have this effect on me.  My friends and family are great in comfort.  They are there to give a hug or tell me they are sorry.  It feels good to know that you are not alone.  There is relief in knowing that someone else knows your burden and feels for the pain you are experiencing.  Human comfort is good and needed.  Human  comfort doesn't transform me like God’s comfort.

            You know you have received this comfort when you are able to tell someone else about your experience.   Your presence becomes a comfort.  As you share your experience of God being enough for you during your darkest times, you point people to the God of all comforts who gives comfort that sustains us in a fallen world.

Copyright © 2013.  Deborah R. Newman  www.teatimeforyoursoul.com  All Rights Reserved.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fifth Monday in Lent through Palm Sunday

Fifth Monday in Lent: Righteousness Needed Jesus is all about bringing us righteousness yet we are too worldly focused to think we have much of a need for righteousness. Most of us think we need healing or exciting miracles. We might try to get a little righteousness by going to church on Sunday and giving some spare change to a beggar. God sees the bigger picture and knows that there is nothing which we are more bankrupt than righteousness. He sees that we are totally incapable of getting the righteousness we need through our own actions, so He sent Jesus to give us His righteousness through His sacrificial work on the cross. Lent is a season of repentance and preparation for the Easter celebration. No matter how sacrificial your Lenten fast, it could never be enough to earn your righteousness. I have been practicing Lent for   years, and every year at the end of my fast I come face to face with how far I am from righteousness. Some of the first recorded words of Jesus in th

Lenten Devotions

First Monday in Lent: Lent—Winter/Spring I took a weekend Silent Lenten Retreat and learned how special the season of Lent (which means Spring) really is. Being in the lovely setting where winter-spring becomes its own season; I discovered that the transformation from winter to spring reveals the transformation of our souls in Lent. We had an absolutely gorgeous weekend to enjoy solitude with God. Lent is a perfect season to see in nature what God is drawing out of us through the spiritual disciplines we focus on through penitence and preparation for Easter. It is the in-between season that shows us a lot about what we are doing spiritually through our focus on confession. From a distance winter can seem stark and ugly. I feel the same way about confession. But if you take the time to see the winter you can see that the winter season reveals realities that get masked over by the growth of summer. In winter you become aware of what needs to be cleared away. In the same way the con

The Troubled Christian Life

              When I surrendered my vocation to God back when I was seventeen-years-old, He called me to a life of walking through the most broken realities that people face in a first-world country.  The verse that led me to this life was 2 Corinthians 1:3-4.  Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort,   who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God .  I began counseling others at the ripe age of 23.  I looked like I could have still been in high school, and the patients given to me rightly had their doubts.  I had my doubts too.  I knew that I didn’t have the wisdom to counseling people double my age.  I didn’t have a lot of experience of deep wounds either so I couldn’t talk to them from my own experiences of deep brokenness.  I was only helpful to them because I relied totally on the word of God and the presence of the Holy Spirit