Skip to main content

Forgive Me a Sinner


            As the Lenten Season draws to a close approaching Holy Week, can you look back and honestly admit that you are the chief sinner?  I hope so.  There is no spiritual lesson as helpful as seeing your own sin as so hideous that it sent Jesus Christ to the cross.  When you bundle up all the sins that others have sinned against you in this year—none compares to your lifetime of personal sin against a Holy God.

            I attended the Forgiveness Sunday service at the Orthodox Church that precedes their Lenten journey.  There is a special liturgy that is used for this service focusing on the reality that each of us are grave sinners.  The closing of this time of prayer is when the clergy come out in their black robes (the beautiful purple is laid aside.)  Then beginning with the head priests, and assistant priests each person in the church comes before one another, one at a time, and confesses Forgive me a sinner, to which they hear the response God forgives.  After the assistant priest confesses, he stands to the right of the priest and the rest of the clergy follow suit.  Then the congregation, row by row, begins with the priest, then moves to the right to greet fellow sinners who will make their way past until the whole congregation has confessed.  I hardly knew anyone at this service so I had not directly sinned against any of them that I am aware.  However, the repeated gesture had a huge impact on me. 

            I said: Forgive me a sinner, with conviction.  And I received the response back that God forgives and that I should have a blessed Lent.  The response to my repentance is quick and powerful as the reality of my sin hits home in my soul.  I hope to attend this service again next year.  It was both amazingly joyful and brutally honest. 

            Without the reality of your sin, Easter would have no meaning.  It would be a horror story with a sci-fi ending.  But you are a sinner, the chief sinner.  Yet I can’t convince you of that; your own soul bears this news.  When your soul faces the fact of the darkness of sin, it is drawn to the light of Christ that casts out all darkness and replaces it with a beam of joy and gladness!

            Forgiveness of sin was not easy for Jesus.  He told us that when some friends brought a paralyzed man to Him.  Jesus saw their faith and told the man that his sins were forgiven.  The church leaders took offense at His statement but did not speak it out loud in front of the crowds.  Jesus responded anyway:   Knowing their thoughts, Jesus said, Why do you entertain evil thoughts in your hearts? Which is easier: to say, Your sins are forgiven, or to say, ‘Get up and walk? (Matthew 9:4-5). 

            To be prepared for Easter Sunday you need to answer Jesus’ question in your heart.  If your heart says it is easier to say get up and walk rather than your sins are forgiven, then you have missed the whole point of Lent.  Indeed it was much harder, close to impossible to forgive your sins.  Enter Holy week with a holy awareness of how hard it was.  What rejection, torture, suffering,and humiliation did it take for God to forgive the sins of man?

Rejoice this Easter as you hear Jesus say to you as He said to the paralyzed man: Take heart, son; your sins are forgiven (Matthew 9:2).
Copyright © 2013.  Deborah R. Newman www.teatimeforyoursoul.com  All Rights Reserved

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fifth Monday in Lent through Palm Sunday

Fifth Monday in Lent: Righteousness Needed Jesus is all about bringing us righteousness yet we are too worldly focused to think we have much of a need for righteousness. Most of us think we need healing or exciting miracles. We might try to get a little righteousness by going to church on Sunday and giving some spare change to a beggar. God sees the bigger picture and knows that there is nothing which we are more bankrupt than righteousness. He sees that we are totally incapable of getting the righteousness we need through our own actions, so He sent Jesus to give us His righteousness through His sacrificial work on the cross. Lent is a season of repentance and preparation for the Easter celebration. No matter how sacrificial your Lenten fast, it could never be enough to earn your righteousness. I have been practicing Lent for   years, and every year at the end of my fast I come face to face with how far I am from righteousness. Some of the first recorded words of Jesus in th

Lenten Devotions

First Monday in Lent: Lent—Winter/Spring I took a weekend Silent Lenten Retreat and learned how special the season of Lent (which means Spring) really is. Being in the lovely setting where winter-spring becomes its own season; I discovered that the transformation from winter to spring reveals the transformation of our souls in Lent. We had an absolutely gorgeous weekend to enjoy solitude with God. Lent is a perfect season to see in nature what God is drawing out of us through the spiritual disciplines we focus on through penitence and preparation for Easter. It is the in-between season that shows us a lot about what we are doing spiritually through our focus on confession. From a distance winter can seem stark and ugly. I feel the same way about confession. But if you take the time to see the winter you can see that the winter season reveals realities that get masked over by the growth of summer. In winter you become aware of what needs to be cleared away. In the same way the con

The Troubled Christian Life

              When I surrendered my vocation to God back when I was seventeen-years-old, He called me to a life of walking through the most broken realities that people face in a first-world country.  The verse that led me to this life was 2 Corinthians 1:3-4.  Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort,   who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God .  I began counseling others at the ripe age of 23.  I looked like I could have still been in high school, and the patients given to me rightly had their doubts.  I had my doubts too.  I knew that I didn’t have the wisdom to counseling people double my age.  I didn’t have a lot of experience of deep wounds either so I couldn’t talk to them from my own experiences of deep brokenness.  I was only helpful to them because I relied totally on the word of God and the presence of the Holy Spirit