Skip to main content

Day Three: Galilee—The Perfect Place to Begin the Spiritual Journey (February 1, 2012)

Ruins of church built on place where Jesus performed His first miracle.  My
Savior was physically present here at one time.


Jar found near church from Jesus time, used in ceremonial washing.

Day Three: Galilee—The Perfect Place to Begin the Spiritual Journey (February 1, 2012)

Our first stop is Caesarea. If Jerusalem is my destination, Caesarea is a perfect place to get to Jerusalem. It was the major port for Israel built by Herod the Great. I was impressed to see the condition of the theater that seated about 3,500.  It could have been built yesterday, it's construction has stood the test of time.  Herod the Great was an amazing builder.  The underwater piers he built here are still standing beneath the sea.
     Megiddo is the place with which I am least familiar. It means Armageddon—a gathering place of troops. It was one of the three major cities of King Solomon where he kept his chariots. I was amazed to see ruins from the day of King Solomon. This staircase was recently excavated and was the main path up to the gates of Solomon which we walked through in order to reach the tunnel that led to the spring that brought water to the city.

 stairs from ancient ruins
Gates of Solomon
    Next stop Mount Carmel. Now this is a place that I know well from the readings about Isaiah and my love of the Carmelites like Teresa of Avila, St. John of the Cross and Thérèse of Lisieux. Carmelites are the prayer warriors of the church as they follow the example of Isaiah and listen for God in the whisper, keeping certain hours of the day in silence and prayer for the world. The shores of the Mediterranean near the plains of Zebulon are known for the indigo/blue/purple dyes that are important to the Hebrew’s priestly robes. Currently the thread of blue prescribed by the Torah is not used (often remains white) because the color cannot come from counterfeit sources. It makes me wonder if the prayerful steadfastness is part of the reason the once extinct snail that produces the dye has only in recent years been reappearing.
     We looked on the Jezreel Valley which among many other biblical references includes where Deborah fought foreign kings. I felt like Deborah fighting the cold biting winds we experienced today.
     A visit to the Druze Village is paramount to understanding the complexities of modern Israel. It is no longer solely Hebrew state. Israel is full of passionate people intent on following their love for the God learned from Holy Books. Druze is a secret religion. People of many religious views must learn to respect their differences by recognizing that they share the common ground of hearts devoted to understand God’s desires for them as people to honor Him. We must build on what we have in common--a desire to live lives that please our God.
       Cana is three miles northeast of Nazareth, the place of Jesus’ first miracle at the Wedding Feast. Our guide assured us that this is the place where the wedding took place. I was in the place were my Savior once stood. I can't tell you the impact of this reality on my soul. What a thought to consider that I first stood where Jesus did at the place where He first did His first miracle. I can't tell you the joy I felt as I renewed my vows to God as my husband (Is:54:5) and to my husband Brian. Earlier that day God confirmed His call for me to come on this Pilgrimage alone by my daily reading.  The reading was from Margery Kempe.  She wrote: "The Lord reminded me one day. 'You're My own true wife.  Remember that I loved you so much that I died for you?  Don't forget that.  Remember, too, that a wife takes pleasure in being at her husband's side. A wife loves her husband and enjoys his company immensely--above all others' because that's where she finds true acceptance, her greatest joy, and also her greatest peace.'"
As I shared this quote and affirmation with Brian, he said "You are there with your perfect husband and left your imperfect one behind". It's funny and true.
     Tiberia is where we sleep tonight near the shore of Galilee. This may be near the place where Peter was reinstated after his denial of Christ, and around here somewhere is the place that Jesus fed the 5,000. The Sea of Galilee is a freshwater lake that is 13 miles long, 8 ½ miles wide and red from the River Jordan and underwater springs. It was near this place that Jesus called his first disciples, Peter and Andrew. He fed the 4,000 around the lake and also sent the disciples to Capernaum and walked on water, then healed that man from a legion of demons. And no one can forget the Sermon on the Mount and its significance to the world of literature and spiritual life.
     Israel is being blessed with much needed rain. It has been a challenge to battle cold and rain but it cannot dampen the beauty of this land or the spiritual realities that I am receiving.


Dr. Deborah Newman
http://www.teatimeforyoursoul.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fifth Monday in Lent through Palm Sunday

Fifth Monday in Lent: Righteousness Needed Jesus is all about bringing us righteousness yet we are too worldly focused to think we have much of a need for righteousness. Most of us think we need healing or exciting miracles. We might try to get a little righteousness by going to church on Sunday and giving some spare change to a beggar. God sees the bigger picture and knows that there is nothing which we are more bankrupt than righteousness. He sees that we are totally incapable of getting the righteousness we need through our own actions, so He sent Jesus to give us His righteousness through His sacrificial work on the cross. Lent is a season of repentance and preparation for the Easter celebration. No matter how sacrificial your Lenten fast, it could never be enough to earn your righteousness. I have been practicing Lent for   years, and every year at the end of my fast I come face to face with how far I am from righteousness. Some of the first recorded words of Jesus in th

A Pilgrimage that Started with Tears

                Who would think I would shed tears deciding to set out on a wonderful journey that I have longed to take for many years?   Before I was ready to fully accept God’s invitation for a pilgrimage to Jerusalem, I had to journey to a place of agreement between what my soul wanted and what the Lord wanted for me.   For years I have been declining opportunities to travel to Israel—not because I didn’t want to go but because I wanted to go with my husband by my side.   I know that God could have arranged that for me, but instead He asked me to accept that He wanted me to be willing to go and leave everything behind.   When I was asked to make a decision about going on a Pilgrimage to Jerusalem, God gave me this verse in answer to my prayer -- Debi, observe therefore all the commands I am giving you today, so that you may have the strength to go in and take over the land that you are crossing the Jordan to possess (Deuteronomy 11:8).   I decided through tears that I would go on

The Troubled Christian Life

              When I surrendered my vocation to God back when I was seventeen-years-old, He called me to a life of walking through the most broken realities that people face in a first-world country.  The verse that led me to this life was 2 Corinthians 1:3-4.  Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort,   who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God .  I began counseling others at the ripe age of 23.  I looked like I could have still been in high school, and the patients given to me rightly had their doubts.  I had my doubts too.  I knew that I didn’t have the wisdom to counseling people double my age.  I didn’t have a lot of experience of deep wounds either so I couldn’t talk to them from my own experiences of deep brokenness.  I was only helpful to them because I relied totally on the word of God and the presence of the Holy Spirit