Skip to main content

Day Four: From Nazareth to Mount Tabor (February 2, 2012)

Behind me is a first century home in Nazareth. Jesus lived here or walked here.  What an honor to stand right here.
I was amazed to notice the shape of the cross in the rock formation of the wall that stands near Jesus' home! It wasn't put there on purpose by the builder, did Jesus ever notice it?

Jesus' favorite time to pray is while it is still dark!


Sunrise on Lake Galilee is a moving experience.  The light is purer here.

     Nazareth stands out among the places of Galilee that one would look for Jesus. In fact, Isaiah 9:1-2 prophesies that the light will come to Galilee. ”But there will be no gloom for her who was in anguish. In the former time he brought into contempt the land of Zebulun and the land of Naphtali, but in the latter time he has made glorious the way of the sea, the land beyond the Jordan, Galilee of the nations. The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light; those who dwelt in a land of deep darkness, on them has light shone.” Nazareth and Capernaum are the same geographical places for the cities to which Isaiah refers. Why was a devout Jew like Joseph living in Nazareth? It was because of this scripture in Isaiah. Sadly, the people of Nazareth who worshiped in the Synagogue to whom Jesus revealed His true identity (through Isaiah’s prophesy no less—Isaiah 61) did not believe Him and tried to throw Him off the cliff here. Jesus explained that a prophet is never accepted in His hometown (Luke 4:14-30).
     The spiritual journey always makes great strides through humility. Nazareth of Jesus’ day was known as a humble place. Mary said it (Luke 1:48, 51-52); Nathaniel said it (John 1:46). It is also a place of surrender to God’s will. Mary made her monumental statement agreeing to her part in God’s plan to turn the world right-side up! (And Mary said, “Behold, I am the servant of the Lord; let it be to me according to your word.” And the angel departed from her. Luke1:38). It is such a humble town and so small that I imagine, since Jesus lived here for 30 years of His life, at least one of the steps I took today was in the exact footsteps of Jesus. The spiritual journey is undertaken from the starting point of humility. This truth was reinforced in every experience I had in Nazareth.
     Waking up near the shore of Galilee is a blessing. I can't explain the wonder of going out on my balcony at Jesus favorite time to pray, just before dark then watching the world transform as the sun peaks through the clouds.  The fish jump, the birds sing.  The world stops to praise God. My Sea of Galilee experince was so full of joy.  You won't believe what happened when I walked down to the beach! I ran into a Tea Time reader who saw my name tag. What a small world and another confirmation of God's goodness to me.
     The Nazareth Village tour is so informational I got writers cramp taking notes. What moved my soul was looking at a historically accurate cross. The small size is humbling and it helped me realize the intimacy of the cross. I will never imagine the cross the same.

The Mount of Transfigeration was an amazing experience. May I be transformed to live like Him!
Dr. Deborah Newman

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fifth Monday in Lent through Palm Sunday

Fifth Monday in Lent: Righteousness Needed Jesus is all about bringing us righteousness yet we are too worldly focused to think we have much of a need for righteousness. Most of us think we need healing or exciting miracles. We might try to get a little righteousness by going to church on Sunday and giving some spare change to a beggar. God sees the bigger picture and knows that there is nothing which we are more bankrupt than righteousness. He sees that we are totally incapable of getting the righteousness we need through our own actions, so He sent Jesus to give us His righteousness through His sacrificial work on the cross. Lent is a season of repentance and preparation for the Easter celebration. No matter how sacrificial your Lenten fast, it could never be enough to earn your righteousness. I have been practicing Lent for   years, and every year at the end of my fast I come face to face with how far I am from righteousness. Some of the first recorded words of Jesus in th

A Pilgrimage that Started with Tears

                Who would think I would shed tears deciding to set out on a wonderful journey that I have longed to take for many years?   Before I was ready to fully accept God’s invitation for a pilgrimage to Jerusalem, I had to journey to a place of agreement between what my soul wanted and what the Lord wanted for me.   For years I have been declining opportunities to travel to Israel—not because I didn’t want to go but because I wanted to go with my husband by my side.   I know that God could have arranged that for me, but instead He asked me to accept that He wanted me to be willing to go and leave everything behind.   When I was asked to make a decision about going on a Pilgrimage to Jerusalem, God gave me this verse in answer to my prayer -- Debi, observe therefore all the commands I am giving you today, so that you may have the strength to go in and take over the land that you are crossing the Jordan to possess (Deuteronomy 11:8).   I decided through tears that I would go on

The Missing Tribe of Dan

            The reason I love studying the Bible with a group of people is that they teach me things I don’t know.   I love it when I don’t know the answer to a question.   That is how I learn.   So when someone recounted the ugly tail of Dan’s idolatry in Judges 18 concluding with the passage in Judges 18:30-31 :   There the Danites set up for themselves the idol, and Jonathan son of Gershom, the son of Moses, and his sons were priests for the tribe of Dan until the time of the captivity of the land.   They continued to use the idol Micah had made, all the time the house of God was in Shiloh. I wanted to know if that could possibly be true that the Danites never ever worshiped God!   How could that be?             Before I had a chance to settle that question, someone in the class read the passage from Revelation 7 where the tribe of Dan was omitted.   I never considered that!   I never realized that a whole tribe of Israel was not found in the New Testament.   What could that