Skip to main content

What Does It Mean to Be Holy?

            Holiness is an ambiguous concept we encounter on our spiritual journey.  Every time I stop to consider what it means to be holy, I wonder how God could even suggest holiness could exist in humans.  I think it reveals His great love for us.  He loves us so much He sees that we are capable of more than we could ever even come close to conceiving.
            Holiness fits right into the category of impossibility.  Yet it is what God is all about in our lives.  God says that there are people who are holy.  In Acts 3:21, He calls the prophets holy.  I understand how things could be holy or even a place can be holy.  But it is when God calls a person holy or even suggests that I should strive for holiness that the idea becomes inconceivable. 
            When I think about the holy prophets (mentioned in Acts 3:21) who told about Jesus, I know that they each had their failures along the way.  Not one lived a perfect life.  What made them holy was their will that was devoted to serving God.
            I can say that I have met people who exude a sense of holiness.  Sometimes they are the people you would least expect to move you, but something does.  This summer I was in Guatemala and entered a church where no one spoke English.  My friends and I grew curious about what could be happening that day because there seemed to be a lot of action and preparation.  I thought it might be a special Saint’s day.  I used my Spanglish to ask the nun what was happening in the church.  I didn’t realize at the time that she was probably the one in charge of all the preparations that were obviously more important than a curious tourist.  Yet, that is not how she treated me.  She should have been rushed and irritated at the interruption that I became.  Instead, she was very kind and very patient and focused totally on our little group until she was sure we understood the answer to our question.  After we left I still felt the wonder of her kindness and care she took to stop everything she was doing to answer. 
            Not being hurried and welcoming every person God sends to you with big problems or small is a picture of holiness.  However holiness is so much more than that.  Holiness is the experience of coming most near to what it means to have been created in the image of God.  God created us to be holy like He is holy; and no matter how far we are from that, He won’t give up the hope for us to become holy.
            1 Peter 1:16 says, Since it is written, You shall be holy, for I am holy.  Holiness is constantly held out as the aspiration of our lives.  If I were God, I would have given up long ago.  He asked holiness of the Israelites, and they deviated so far from His hopes for them.  He continues to draw out holiness from us.  Holiness is being Christ-like in character.
            It’s a good practice to treat things and places in a holy way, but it is much more difficult to become a holy person.  As I reflect over my life, I can find a few holy moments—times when I have responded as Christ would, but they are few and far between.  Still God keeps calling me to His vision for my life.  He wants me to become a person of holiness, to have a character that can be described as holy to God.
Copyright © 2011.  Deborah R. Newman.  www.teatimeforyoursoul.com All Rights Reserved. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fifth Monday in Lent through Palm Sunday

Fifth Monday in Lent: Righteousness Needed Jesus is all about bringing us righteousness yet we are too worldly focused to think we have much of a need for righteousness. Most of us think we need healing or exciting miracles. We might try to get a little righteousness by going to church on Sunday and giving some spare change to a beggar. God sees the bigger picture and knows that there is nothing which we are more bankrupt than righteousness. He sees that we are totally incapable of getting the righteousness we need through our own actions, so He sent Jesus to give us His righteousness through His sacrificial work on the cross. Lent is a season of repentance and preparation for the Easter celebration. No matter how sacrificial your Lenten fast, it could never be enough to earn your righteousness. I have been practicing Lent for   years, and every year at the end of my fast I come face to face with how far I am from righteousness. Some of the first recorded words of Jesus in th

Lenten Devotions

First Monday in Lent: Lent—Winter/Spring I took a weekend Silent Lenten Retreat and learned how special the season of Lent (which means Spring) really is. Being in the lovely setting where winter-spring becomes its own season; I discovered that the transformation from winter to spring reveals the transformation of our souls in Lent. We had an absolutely gorgeous weekend to enjoy solitude with God. Lent is a perfect season to see in nature what God is drawing out of us through the spiritual disciplines we focus on through penitence and preparation for Easter. It is the in-between season that shows us a lot about what we are doing spiritually through our focus on confession. From a distance winter can seem stark and ugly. I feel the same way about confession. But if you take the time to see the winter you can see that the winter season reveals realities that get masked over by the growth of summer. In winter you become aware of what needs to be cleared away. In the same way the con

The Troubled Christian Life

              When I surrendered my vocation to God back when I was seventeen-years-old, He called me to a life of walking through the most broken realities that people face in a first-world country.  The verse that led me to this life was 2 Corinthians 1:3-4.  Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort,   who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God .  I began counseling others at the ripe age of 23.  I looked like I could have still been in high school, and the patients given to me rightly had their doubts.  I had my doubts too.  I knew that I didn’t have the wisdom to counseling people double my age.  I didn’t have a lot of experience of deep wounds either so I couldn’t talk to them from my own experiences of deep brokenness.  I was only helpful to them because I relied totally on the word of God and the presence of the Holy Spirit