Skip to main content

Ash Wednesday Through First Sunday in Lent


A Lenten Guide
I started practicing Lent before I worshiped in a church that encouraged forty days of repentance and preparation for Easter. I began my own Lenten observations after I was given a devotional book in 1995 called 40 Days with the Savior—Preparing Your Heart for Easter by Henry Gariepy. Sadly, it is out of print, but if you ever come across a copy I encourage you to purchase it. Henry’s wise observations of the last week of Jesus’ life continue to stimulate my thoughts and understandings of my Savior’s love.

Ash Wednesday begins 40 days (excluding Sundays) before Easter Sunday. I never knew the excluding Sundays bit and I was confused for several years as to why my 40 day devotion finished well before Easter. How to mark the forty days is just one of the many discoveries I have made in my experiences of practicing Lent.

In most churches today, Christians are asked either to give up something for Lent, or to take on something. I’ve fasted from different foods or certain activities—like television. I’ve chosen to not complain about anything for forty days.  I have found a special spiritual power during the Lenten season as I choose a fast, inspired by the Holy Spirit. I am not able to pass over chocolate on any other day, but when that has been offered for a Lenten fast; I discovered a power beyond myself.

I used to look at Ash Wednesday as a strange church tradition where people walked around with smudged heads—the ashes rarely seem to stay in the shape of a cross. Now I see it as a time to be still and soak in what the cross meant to Jesus and what it means to me.

I want to encourage you to consider practicing this season in some way. Each Monday during Lent I will print a full week of daily devotions, or you can chose another one in your local Christian bookstore. Wear a cross each day and touch it while thinking about what Jesus might be thinking as He prepared to give the greatest example of love the world has ever seen from the cross. 
The practice of Lent—spending the forty days before Easter to pray, fast, give alms and reflect on what Jesus has done for us—was created to be a spiritual discipline to draw us closer to heart of God the Father and God the Son.  Its purpose is to cause us to meditate and begin to grasp the reality of what Jesus did for us through the events of Easter. 
This amount of time was chosen because forty days are a traditional number of preparation in the Bible. Jesus fasted forty days in the wilderness to prepare for His ministry.  The rain poured for 40 Days when Noah and his family prepared to live in a new world.  The children of Israel wondered in the wilderness for 40 years before they lived in the Promised Land.  Elijah walked 40 days and nights to the Mountain of God.
Take a moment this Ash Wednesday to ask the Holy Spirit to show you how you can use the next 40 or so days to ponder the wonder of Easter. I believe you might decide that Easter is the greatest holiday on earth and find more excitement as you contemplate that He is Risen, Yes He is Risen Indeed!

Ash Wednesday: The Trees are Naked
The transition from Winter to Spring is a lovely metaphor for Lent. It is convenient that in the Northern Hemisphere, Lent begins at the end of winter and ends with the first buds of spring. On a recent nature walk I came upon a four-year-old boy and his father. They had stopped on the path waiting for mom and baby to catch up when I happened to pass by. I overheard the conversation between father and son. The little boy was enraptured by the tree that was right in front of him. With a distinct giggle, the little boy exclaimed, The tree is naked! The father seemed confused as to how to respond to his son’s preoccupation with what he described as a naked tree. He rattled on about how the leaves had fallen off because of winter, but the child insisted that the tree was naked, implying that it was somehow defected. He didn’t accept his father’s reasonable explanation.
As I passed, I pondered the profound reality this little boy, like the boy in Hans Christian Anderson’s famous fairy tale—The Emperor’s New Clothes—had insisted we all consider. I could reasonably wonder about the boy himself. After all, the park where we were walking was full of thousands of trees in a similar state, not to mention that most of the trees this little boy lived among were naked just like that particular tree. Why had he suddenly had an epiphany because of this one tree that stood before the place he was told to stop and wait for his mom to catch up? Who knows what goes on in the minds of four-year-old boys?
I spent the rest of my walk looking at the naked trees. What I realized again is that it is good to have a time of nakedness in winter in preparation for new growth. The season of Lent is a time of setting aside a certain number of days to consider, in a unique way, that we, like the trees, are naked. All the fruit and beauty that comes from us is not our own doing—it is from the Spirit of God living in and through us. When it gets right down to it, we are all naked before God.
As I focused on the naked trees, I saw some things that are hidden from view in other seasons. I could see the many bird nests that were carefully constructed during seasons past. Many of those birds had left for the winter, and even though they were no longer living here in the Nature preserve I could remember them by the homes they made. I could remember how they once delighted me and hope that they would return to find a place to live and bring new life.
I live a fruitful life. There are many people who would say that I have helped them draw closer to God or made a positive difference in their lives. I can see the fruit of my obedience to God’s calling and leading. Underneath all the fruit is a naked tree, just like this little boy spoke about. My nakedness needs to be considered. We must accept the reality that we are all naked trees. The season of winter makes that apparent for the physical trees of the universe; the season of Lent makes it apparent for the spiritual plantings of the Lord. Consider your nakedness. Recognize that you are nothing but a naked tree without God’s love, forgiveness, mercy, and goodness. Let the season make you aware that you cannot become a planting of the Lord without the work of the cross. Isaiah 61:1-4 is Jesus’ hope for your life that you would become a planting of the Lord:
The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me, because the Lord has anointed me to bring good news to the poor; he has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to those who are bound; to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor, and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all who mourn; to grant to those who mourn in Zion-- to give them a beautiful headdress instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, the garment of praise instead of a faint spirit; that they may be called oaks of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that he may be glorified. They shall build up the ancient ruins; they shall raise up the former devastations; they shall repair the ruined cities, the devastations of many generations.
On Ash Wednesday, you remember you are dust, during Lent remember that you are naked!

Thursday after Ash Wednesday: Forgiveness Experienced
In the Orthodox Church, Lent is commences after the Sunday Vespers Service on Forgiveness Sunday. Although I attended this service only once, I still remember the unique spiritual encounter I participated in with complete strangers.
After the liturgy, the Priest of the church looks out on the congregation and with believable sincerity confesses that he is a sinner and asks forgiveness for the ways he has failed. We feel his pain and recognize his predicament of ever desiring to fully receive the grace and victory over sin yet coming up short. After he begins the lesson on forgiveness the Assistant Priest walks up to the Priest and looks at him eye to eye and confesses that he has sinned and asks for forgiveness. The Priest replies: “God forgives you and so do I.” Next, the Deacon stands before the Priest, and then the Assistant Priest, and they make the same confession, one person at a time. Slowly the whole Altar Party follows in-suit and then the congregation is dismissed, row by row, to form a circle around the church so that every last person in attendance has confessed that they have sinned to every other person in attendance and has heard the good news proclaimed again and again: “God forgives you and so do I.” They begin Lent that evening, three days ahead of the Catholics and Protestants.
As we enter into another Lenten Season, I want to encourage us to begin reflecting on the foundation of forgiveness. Forgiveness is what Lent is all about. There is a freedom to fully embrace your own sinfulness when your spiritual leader exposes the truth that with deep regret he must admit that all his best efforts to follow God have included sin and that he too is in great need of forgiveness. When you stand with people who usually observe you at your best—at church—honestly look them in the eye, and in naked truth admit that you have sinned, you begin to recognize what the Lenten Season is meant to show us, what a great salvation we have been given.
When all the best efforts of church people fail to get the results intended, we know we are without hope apart from the forgiveness offered through the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ.
The ashes are made in the shape of His cross to remind us what is possible through Christ. We can be forgiven. Once forgiven, we become free to forgive.
When I left that service, I felt spiritually clean. I can’t describe it. The people to whom I confessed my sin and requested their forgiveness were strangers to me and I wasn’t conscious of anything purposeful I had done to sin against them. Yet my spirit had taken in on a whole new level the truth of what Jesus has done in forgiving me.
Lent begins this week. I encourage you to begin by confessing your sins and receiving the cleansing that God promises in 1 John 1:9:
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

Friday After Ash Wednesday: The Ethics Behind Ethical Behavior
Every year my professional counseling license requires that I take a 3-hour ethics course.  It is the only subject that is required. Over the decades I have been to every kind of ethics class, including a stand-up comedy version. The ones taught by lawyers are the worst. After listening to them you are afraid to look at a client. This year the presenter really caught my attention when she started off with the story of how she snuck into the HOV lane because she was late to ach an ethics course and admitted that she is just one orange jumpsuit away from being unethical herself! I thought, now that’s a truthful place to begin.
No one is completely ethical and sometimes for ethical reasons! She gave an example of a counselor who reported herself to the ethics board for a hearing. Anyone listening would understand how the ethical standards left her in a moral dilemma and she could not live with herself. Even following ethical codes can’t make you ethical. Funny thing about ethics, we have to admit that we are all unethical. I agree that the counseling profession should require the grueling procedure of covering ethics from every angle, every year. It is a profession that requires the highest of ethical standards in order to maintain the health and well-being of the ones who come seeking help and enter into a relationship of power. Every profession needs ethical standards. Sometimes it is the church that overlooks that they have foundation of ethical standards in God’s Word. Too often the church falls short from its duty to portray the difference living by the ethic of love makes on the world.
Jesus gave us one ethical mandate and example that simplifies every ethical decision we will ever face. He asks us to make love the standard of everything we do.
A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. (John 13:34).
He sets the ethical standards very high. St. Francis of Assisi stated: “But I say love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you. We must follow in the footsteps of our Lord Jesus Christ, who called Judas—his betrayer—a friend and freely laid down his life for him. Our friends are those who bring suffering, shame, even death to us without provocation. We must love them. We must love them passionately, because they are helping us to receive eternal life.”
He also makes it simple. If your profession doesn’t have an ethical standard (or even if it does), I know a way that you can always remain ethical: follow Jesus’ commandment. Find a way to love like Jesus loved you and you will be using your best judgment in every encounter that you face. Ask yourself, How would Jesus love me in this situation? And then respond as you believe He would. Live in love and your ethics will greatly improve!

Saturday After Ash Wednesday: Lent—A Season of Light
Spring brings with it accumulating light. The light reaches its maximum stay by midsummer. After a long dark winter, light is a welcome friend. It changes moods and brings on anticipation for something better. Have you experienced more contentment as the light has lingered during the day?
Light and confessing sin don’t seem to mix. Yet, they definitely go hand in hand. Without the cleansing from confession, the light would be shaded. Confession of our sin is what brings us into the light of Christ. His light shines brightest through us when we are most aware of His presence. Confession increases the light that is visible to the people who live in our world. The less of our sins and the more of God they see in us sheds light on God and gives Him more glory.
God’s first word of creation was to bring light to the darkness (Genesis 1:1). In the New creation there will not be need for a sun, moon or lamps because God Himself will be our light (Revelation 22:5). Light reveals the beauty of God.
Times when I don’t think I’m much of a sinner and ignore my sins are the times that I am most distant from God. Psalm 32:5 says, Then I acknowledged my sin to you and did not cover up my iniquity. I said, I will confess my transgressions to the Lord. And you forgave the guilt of my sin. It is through confession that we are brought near to God and into His light. Through our unity with God, the light of Christ begins to shine through our lives.
One of the judges on American Idol, Stephen Tyler, told a contestant: “I see the light of God come through your eyes when you sing; it was that good.” Confession of sin makes that happen. As we receive God’s forgiveness about all the ways we are not like God, the ways that God is living in us become more apparent to those who are around us.
Just as Spring brings extended light into the world, the Lenten season for your soul should be bringing more light to the world you live in. Has anyone noticed that you are kinder, more thoughtful or considerate? Have you noticed this in yourself?
Light is so every day sometimes the subtle changes in the increasing light are hard to notice from one day to another. We have had several days of Lent; have you noticed any change in the light of your life? Could anyone say of you that the light of God shines right through your eyes?
How is your Lenten discipline leading you to display more of the light of Christ?
  May you be blessed by the kindness, forbearance and patience of God this Lenten season!





First Sunday in Lent—The Beauty of the Cross
I don’t know of many people today who would not think that the cross is beautiful. Even those who do not believe in its spiritual significance decorate their homes with them or wear jewelry in the form of the cross.

I, like many others, have a wall where crosses of different sizes, shapes, colors and representing different countries form a focal point in my home. It is a beautiful wall that sort of evolved as crosses were given to me. I love to give crosses and I love to receive crosses.

Crosses are so beautiful that it is hard to imagine that they were once the structure utilized for the most humiliating and painful punishments inflicted for the most heinous crimes. It would be like wearing a diamond studded replica of an electric chair on my neck, or carving a noose from wood, covered with flowers to hang on my wall. Diamonds or flowers don’t seem to make the sight of something used to inflict capital punishment something beautiful.

The symbol of the cross itself was transformed after Jesus died on its hard wood. No one would like to go back to the days of crucifixions. That kind of extremely cruel punishment inflicted by crucifixion makes the punisher seem suspect. The cross’s transformation from an instrument of shame to a symbol of beauty began after the most important crucifixion of all. It was only after the full impact of Jesus’ death on the cross was felt that we humans discovered that a cross is a thing of beauty.

It appears that Jesus meant for the cross to bring deep meaning all along. He began speaking of our need to take up our cross before the disciples could fully grasp the full extent of His meaning. The disciples must have thought Jesus was preaching madness when He told them, If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me (Matthew 16:24). What could have been going through their minds? They had never seen a bedazzled cross decorating churches and Christian homes. All they knew of crosses was the horrid punishment inflicted by the Roman government whom they detested. Surely they thought that Jesus must have some other meaning. Perhaps they concluded what he meant was that they needed to be willing to die for their faith.

But, that was not the case. Jesus meant it literally that we must take up our cross daily and follow Him. What is the cross we pick up? It was only Jesus who was sent to die on the cross itself. No one else could do that with the result of justification for all who believe that Jesus’ death paid for their sin. What does Jesus mean when He tells you to pick up your cross?

He means for you to fulfill your purpose here on earth. He wants you to do what you are called to do to build His Kingdom. He is inviting you to follow Him to places only crosses can take you. How do you take up your cross and follow Him?



Copyright © 2019  Deborah R. Newman teatimeforyoursoul.com  All Rights Reserved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fifth Monday in Lent through Palm Sunday

Fifth Monday in Lent: Righteousness Needed Jesus is all about bringing us righteousness yet we are too worldly focused to think we have much of a need for righteousness. Most of us think we need healing or exciting miracles. We might try to get a little righteousness by going to church on Sunday and giving some spare change to a beggar. God sees the bigger picture and knows that there is nothing which we are more bankrupt than righteousness. He sees that we are totally incapable of getting the righteousness we need through our own actions, so He sent Jesus to give us His righteousness through His sacrificial work on the cross. Lent is a season of repentance and preparation for the Easter celebration. No matter how sacrificial your Lenten fast, it could never be enough to earn your righteousness. I have been practicing Lent for   years, and every year at the end of my fast I come face to face with how far I am from righteousness. Some of the first recorded words of Jesus in th

The Missing Tribe of Dan

            The reason I love studying the Bible with a group of people is that they teach me things I don’t know.   I love it when I don’t know the answer to a question.   That is how I learn.   So when someone recounted the ugly tail of Dan’s idolatry in Judges 18 concluding with the passage in Judges 18:30-31 :   There the Danites set up for themselves the idol, and Jonathan son of Gershom, the son of Moses, and his sons were priests for the tribe of Dan until the time of the captivity of the land.   They continued to use the idol Micah had made, all the time the house of God was in Shiloh. I wanted to know if that could possibly be true that the Danites never ever worshiped God!   How could that be?             Before I had a chance to settle that question, someone in the class read the passage from Revelation 7 where the tribe of Dan was omitted.   I never considered that!   I never realized that a whole tribe of Israel was not found in the New Testament.   What could that

A Pilgrimage that Started with Tears

                Who would think I would shed tears deciding to set out on a wonderful journey that I have longed to take for many years?   Before I was ready to fully accept God’s invitation for a pilgrimage to Jerusalem, I had to journey to a place of agreement between what my soul wanted and what the Lord wanted for me.   For years I have been declining opportunities to travel to Israel—not because I didn’t want to go but because I wanted to go with my husband by my side.   I know that God could have arranged that for me, but instead He asked me to accept that He wanted me to be willing to go and leave everything behind.   When I was asked to make a decision about going on a Pilgrimage to Jerusalem, God gave me this verse in answer to my prayer -- Debi, observe therefore all the commands I am giving you today, so that you may have the strength to go in and take over the land that you are crossing the Jordan to possess (Deuteronomy 11:8).   I decided through tears that I would go on