Skip to main content

Let's Talk



              I was in a meeting this week that highlighted a simple reality that creates crisis in our relationships.  That reality is that we continue to be so focused on our own belief system that we miss out on the truth that would bring unity.  Whether it is in politics, families, marriages, or with God.
              Sometimes it takes a crisis in our lives to open our heart, mind and spirit to understand the belief of another.  Sometimes we have to be desperate to lay down the beliefs that separate us.  Belief is vital to our spiritual life, our relationships and, of course, to our salvation.  It all comes down to what we believe and how willing we are to seek a common point of belief in order to discover the possibility for unity.
              This was reinforced when I had a very interesting discussion with my uber driver in the fifteen minutes it took to arrive at my destination.  He asked where I worked, and since I am a Baptist minister my answer often opens the possibility of spiritual conversations.  My driver was a Christian too, but from a far different belief practice than me.  I brought up our common belief in Jesus Christ as the only and most perfect way to God.  On this we agreed.  Our agreement highlighted how amazed we both were about our own salvations and how sad we both felt about for people who cannot believe the truth that belief Jesus’ life, death and resurrection is the beginning of relationship with God.  Their inability to accept the wonderful insight God gave us.  This happened for me as a child when at seven-years-old I came to believe that my sin separated me from God and asking Jesus to cover my sins changed my status as separated from God.  It is the too-good-to-be-true Good News.  It unites me with God.  It is black and white.  He is God and He is holy.  I am not God and I am sinful.  Jesus Christ lived a sinless life and died for my sins so I could be made holy.
              Salvation comes down to belief.  What I believe changes my eternity.  What I believe effects the way I listen to others.  No matter how virtuous I believe my cause if I want to bring others into my view, I need to stop judging them and figure out what is keeping them from seeing the truths in my beliefs.  Basically, this is the context of all the marriage counseling I have ever done.  I help each other describe their core beliefs behind their cruel words and hurtful behavior.  Vulnerability becomes a gateway to unity in marriage.  It opens doors that have been slammed shut.  My presence helps the two married partners believe that a spouse really does want to show love in spite of their previous beliefs to the contrary.  What you believe is life giving to a marriage. 
              Since May I have been wearing the National Day of Prayer bracelet from 2018.  The theme was “United” and the them verse was:Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace” (Ephesians 4:3).  I remember thinking that this was an absurd ask for America.  We are so divided in so many ways.  But since it was the theme chosen and it was needed, I have been humbly asking God to bring this unity.  Prayer is about miracles, right?
              What if the political divide was united through talking?  What if we stopped pounding out own point of view and listened to news programming that incited and reinforced what we believe rather we tried to find the virtue or the nugget of truth in the beliefs of those who oppose our beliefs and started a conversation there.  Not a conversation with the agenda to get them to come to our side of the table, but a conversation that conceded that your belief system was the only way.  Find out why they believe the way they do, who influenced this belief and stay on topics where you can find common ground—that is where truth lies, where truth has not been distorted between the two of you.  That is the place you can start.
Copyright © 2018.  Deborah R. Newman.  teatimeforyoursoul.com  All Rights Reserved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fifth Monday in Lent through Palm Sunday

Fifth Monday in Lent: Righteousness Needed Jesus is all about bringing us righteousness yet we are too worldly focused to think we have much of a need for righteousness. Most of us think we need healing or exciting miracles. We might try to get a little righteousness by going to church on Sunday and giving some spare change to a beggar. God sees the bigger picture and knows that there is nothing which we are more bankrupt than righteousness. He sees that we are totally incapable of getting the righteousness we need through our own actions, so He sent Jesus to give us His righteousness through His sacrificial work on the cross. Lent is a season of repentance and preparation for the Easter celebration. No matter how sacrificial your Lenten fast, it could never be enough to earn your righteousness. I have been practicing Lent for   years, and every year at the end of my fast I come face to face with how far I am from righteousness. Some of the first recorded words of Jesus in th

A Pilgrimage that Started with Tears

                Who would think I would shed tears deciding to set out on a wonderful journey that I have longed to take for many years?   Before I was ready to fully accept God’s invitation for a pilgrimage to Jerusalem, I had to journey to a place of agreement between what my soul wanted and what the Lord wanted for me.   For years I have been declining opportunities to travel to Israel—not because I didn’t want to go but because I wanted to go with my husband by my side.   I know that God could have arranged that for me, but instead He asked me to accept that He wanted me to be willing to go and leave everything behind.   When I was asked to make a decision about going on a Pilgrimage to Jerusalem, God gave me this verse in answer to my prayer -- Debi, observe therefore all the commands I am giving you today, so that you may have the strength to go in and take over the land that you are crossing the Jordan to possess (Deuteronomy 11:8).   I decided through tears that I would go on

The Missing Tribe of Dan

            The reason I love studying the Bible with a group of people is that they teach me things I don’t know.   I love it when I don’t know the answer to a question.   That is how I learn.   So when someone recounted the ugly tail of Dan’s idolatry in Judges 18 concluding with the passage in Judges 18:30-31 :   There the Danites set up for themselves the idol, and Jonathan son of Gershom, the son of Moses, and his sons were priests for the tribe of Dan until the time of the captivity of the land.   They continued to use the idol Micah had made, all the time the house of God was in Shiloh. I wanted to know if that could possibly be true that the Danites never ever worshiped God!   How could that be?             Before I had a chance to settle that question, someone in the class read the passage from Revelation 7 where the tribe of Dan was omitted.   I never considered that!   I never realized that a whole tribe of Israel was not found in the New Testament.   What could that