Skip to main content

The Power of Volition


                You have a choice.  You can be miserable, upset and full of angst or you can free yourself from the anxiety that is abundant in this world.  If that is true, then why are so many of us miserable, upset and full of angst?
                You would think we would do anything to stop the misery.  Yet we often remain trapped in a cycle of upset for years that turns into decades.  The same reason that the world has so many miserable traps is the same reason we do not have to remain in our pits.  Volition, free will, is the reason we get trapped by misery or become set free.
                The Garden of Gethsemane preaches this lesson most profoundly.  Jesus used His human will to escape His misery even though it meant submitting to the cross.  Being asked to take on the sins of the entire world was as miserable a circumstance as anyone has ever faced.  Most of us have a limit to the evil in the world that we have to go through; but not Jesus.  Personally, I will accept my own tragedies as compared with those of others I know.  Jesus’ task was to take on all the misery each of us personally knows and multiply that by an infinite number--the number of evil acts from the creation of the world until the day that all things are made new.  We can’t even imagine the reality of misery that Jesus was contemplating that evening He prayed in the garden.  He was asked to focus on God’s will rather than His own will; He had to believe that God’s goodness was greater than the evil that weighed down His heart.  This is what God asks of each one of us.
                Anxiety is a gift to alert us to the dangers of this world.  Chronic anxiety is a plague for the soul that sickens and weakens our spiritual resolution.  That is why Paul wrote:   Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God (Philippians 4:6).  Paul is not saying don’t be startled when you see a snake.  Your anxious feeling is legitimate and good as it alerts you to danger and helps you respond quickly.  Paul is talking about that sense of misery, upset and anxiety about your daily life in this world.  This world is full of circumstances that create anxiety.  No one reading this devotional is free of anxiety-producing circumstances.  Yet we Christians are instructed to let anxiety be a signal to pray.  Jesus’ life demonstrated this instruction.  When the time came for Him to move forward to the task He had been sent to earth to fulfill, He was plagued with anxiety in His body, mind and spirit just like us.  His anxiety was so great that His body demonstrated an unusual reaction to extreme stress. He not only produced sweat but also sweat mingled with blood.  His mind was focused on the seeming impossibility of the task before Him—taking on the whole world of sin.    It made Him ask God for another way.  It was His Spirit that saved Him from sinking into the angst of His reality.  His Spirit connected deeply with God’s Spirit; and, though He could not see it for Himself, He trusted in God’s goodness.  He set His will on doing God’s will and not His own.
                He got up and walked purposely into ambush that led to the cross.  The circumstances that He dreaded were not going to be alleviated; in fact, they would intensify exponentially in the coming hours.  Jesus had a peace that passes understanding because He set His will on following God’s will.  He prayed and petitioned and presented His request to God and with thanksgiving accepted God’s answer of “No.”  This will holds the power to choose anxiety or peace.  What will you choose today?

Copyright © 2018.  Deborah R Newman  teatimeforyoursoul.com  All Rights Reserved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fifth Monday in Lent through Palm Sunday

Fifth Monday in Lent: Righteousness Needed Jesus is all about bringing us righteousness yet we are too worldly focused to think we have much of a need for righteousness. Most of us think we need healing or exciting miracles. We might try to get a little righteousness by going to church on Sunday and giving some spare change to a beggar. God sees the bigger picture and knows that there is nothing which we are more bankrupt than righteousness. He sees that we are totally incapable of getting the righteousness we need through our own actions, so He sent Jesus to give us His righteousness through His sacrificial work on the cross. Lent is a season of repentance and preparation for the Easter celebration. No matter how sacrificial your Lenten fast, it could never be enough to earn your righteousness. I have been practicing Lent for   years, and every year at the end of my fast I come face to face with how far I am from righteousness. Some of the first recorded words of Jesus in th

The Missing Tribe of Dan

            The reason I love studying the Bible with a group of people is that they teach me things I don’t know.   I love it when I don’t know the answer to a question.   That is how I learn.   So when someone recounted the ugly tail of Dan’s idolatry in Judges 18 concluding with the passage in Judges 18:30-31 :   There the Danites set up for themselves the idol, and Jonathan son of Gershom, the son of Moses, and his sons were priests for the tribe of Dan until the time of the captivity of the land.   They continued to use the idol Micah had made, all the time the house of God was in Shiloh. I wanted to know if that could possibly be true that the Danites never ever worshiped God!   How could that be?             Before I had a chance to settle that question, someone in the class read the passage from Revelation 7 where the tribe of Dan was omitted.   I never considered that!   I never realized that a whole tribe of Israel was not found in the New Testament.   What could that

A Pilgrimage that Started with Tears

                Who would think I would shed tears deciding to set out on a wonderful journey that I have longed to take for many years?   Before I was ready to fully accept God’s invitation for a pilgrimage to Jerusalem, I had to journey to a place of agreement between what my soul wanted and what the Lord wanted for me.   For years I have been declining opportunities to travel to Israel—not because I didn’t want to go but because I wanted to go with my husband by my side.   I know that God could have arranged that for me, but instead He asked me to accept that He wanted me to be willing to go and leave everything behind.   When I was asked to make a decision about going on a Pilgrimage to Jerusalem, God gave me this verse in answer to my prayer -- Debi, observe therefore all the commands I am giving you today, so that you may have the strength to go in and take over the land that you are crossing the Jordan to possess (Deuteronomy 11:8).   I decided through tears that I would go on