Skip to main content

Purity


              I hate to be dirty.  There’s nothing like a long, hot shower at the end of a long sweaty day.  Others are more comfortable with their dirty state, but not me.  I love to feel clean.  I love to take a long hot bath for stress relief even when I am already clean. 
              God invites us to the wonder of purity even in our fallen state.  Honestly, do I really want to be pure?  Obviously, the church is having a problem with longing for the purity of God’s standards above the impure culture’s standards.  I see this strongly in the number of Christians who openly live together before getting married.  Sometimes their Christian parents encourage them to live together so they can be sure before they make a marital commitment.  What?  Purity is very low on our lists of what we are willing to do as Christians.  We look at God’s basic guides for purity as irrelevant in today’s culture.  Yet purity remains important to God even after we became impure sinners in the Garden of Eden. 
              God knows me.  He knows that I don’t want to be a sinner.  He knows that I don’t want to be impure.  I just can’t shake it.  The more intimate I become with God, the more of a sinner I realize that I am.  I may stop the obvious sins like living with my boyfriend before marriage (It’s easy for me to stand in judgment on that one because that is something that I have not done.), but don’t take me to task on my personal purity of thought.  Honestly, I hate my enemies.  It takes a lot of conviction from the Holy Spirit to align me with God’s focus.  I can be very hateful in my mind about people who I think do not drive considerately. Obviously, I can become very judgmental (as in the opinions offered above).  That’s sin.  That’s impure. 
              So, when I read from 1 John 3:6: “No one who lives in him keeps on sinning. No one who continues to sin has either seen him or known him,” it makes me think!  Wow, I’ve claimed to have known Jesus since I was seven years old and I have really grown a lot regarding my personal sinning.  Honestly, I don’t even know the sins I have sinned today to make an accurate accounting of my sins.  As I read the Bible, I understand that God’s purity causes Him to see a depth to my sin I cannot even conceive (Jeremiah 17:9). 
              Rather than a proclamation that I do not know Jesus, I believe John is revealing the depth of reality that has happened to me because I have put my faith in Jesus Christ.  He is explaining what is true because I do not attempt to take care of my sin problem in any other way.  Because God accepts my faith in Jesus Christ, I will not live eternally in sin; when I see Him and know Him, I will be sinless as Jesus is sinless.
              Until then, I want to keep in touch with God’s Word and the Spirit’s power.  I love the idea of the purity that God wants for me.  It’s a purity that He knows will heal me from everything that plagues me now.  My hatred for my enemies is only destroying me.  He doesn’t want that.  He knows how to give me back the purity in which He created me to live.  It is impossible for me to stop sinning enough.  It is not impossible for me through the power of the Holy Spirit to sin less while realizing my sinful state more.  The best chance I have at purity while living here on earth is to focus my heart on Jesus each day. I do that through prayer and reading His Word.  I reorient myself to God’s plan, purpose and instructions for me on a daily or hourly basis. 
              What excites me most is that being in Christ means that eventually I will not keep on sinning.  I will be relieved of my sin and see Him and know Him.  During my pilgrimage on earth, I will remain aware of my heart’s longing for purity from sin.  I love the purity that a hot shower gives me as a precursor to the love of purity that my soul longs to receive from Christ alone.
Copyright © 2017.  Deborah R Newman  teatimeforyoursoul.com  All Rights Reserved.
My Devotion for Advent is Available Now on Amazon:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41e0lhiLBOL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Soul Transformation through Advent: daily devotions from Advent through Epiphany Paperback – September 23, 2017

by Dr. Deborah Newman (Author)

Paperback, September 23, 2017
$8.00


A daily devotion for Advent and Christmastide. Advent reveals the truth about who we are and why we are here. As our souls open to Advent, a reality that transcends the traditional warmth of the season comes into focus. The message of Christmas is to receive God's gift of His Son. As you count down to Christmas through the time-honored tradition of lighting a candle during each week of Advent, you will find guidance for getting off the Christmas-Pleasing Merry-Go-Round and discover the true hope love, joy and peace that Christmas brings

The Amazon Book Review

I would love it if you could do a review of the book for others!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fifth Monday in Lent through Palm Sunday

Fifth Monday in Lent: Righteousness Needed Jesus is all about bringing us righteousness yet we are too worldly focused to think we have much of a need for righteousness. Most of us think we need healing or exciting miracles. We might try to get a little righteousness by going to church on Sunday and giving some spare change to a beggar. God sees the bigger picture and knows that there is nothing which we are more bankrupt than righteousness. He sees that we are totally incapable of getting the righteousness we need through our own actions, so He sent Jesus to give us His righteousness through His sacrificial work on the cross. Lent is a season of repentance and preparation for the Easter celebration. No matter how sacrificial your Lenten fast, it could never be enough to earn your righteousness. I have been practicing Lent for   years, and every year at the end of my fast I come face to face with how far I am from righteousness. Some of the first recorded words of Jesus in th

A Pilgrimage that Started with Tears

                Who would think I would shed tears deciding to set out on a wonderful journey that I have longed to take for many years?   Before I was ready to fully accept God’s invitation for a pilgrimage to Jerusalem, I had to journey to a place of agreement between what my soul wanted and what the Lord wanted for me.   For years I have been declining opportunities to travel to Israel—not because I didn’t want to go but because I wanted to go with my husband by my side.   I know that God could have arranged that for me, but instead He asked me to accept that He wanted me to be willing to go and leave everything behind.   When I was asked to make a decision about going on a Pilgrimage to Jerusalem, God gave me this verse in answer to my prayer -- Debi, observe therefore all the commands I am giving you today, so that you may have the strength to go in and take over the land that you are crossing the Jordan to possess (Deuteronomy 11:8).   I decided through tears that I would go on

The Troubled Christian Life

              When I surrendered my vocation to God back when I was seventeen-years-old, He called me to a life of walking through the most broken realities that people face in a first-world country.  The verse that led me to this life was 2 Corinthians 1:3-4.  Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort,   who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God .  I began counseling others at the ripe age of 23.  I looked like I could have still been in high school, and the patients given to me rightly had their doubts.  I had my doubts too.  I knew that I didn’t have the wisdom to counseling people double my age.  I didn’t have a lot of experience of deep wounds either so I couldn’t talk to them from my own experiences of deep brokenness.  I was only helpful to them because I relied totally on the word of God and the presence of the Holy Spirit