Skip to main content

Strong Daughters


              I had the privilege of spending the last week with my daughter and her seven-month-old daughter (my granddaughter).  There is nothing better than to witness the love, sacrifice and instinctual wisdom of a new mom.  My admiration for a strong daughter was heightened because during her visit a friend from college passed away.  His death was sudden and very much unexpected.  His wife was so faithful to keep us up to date on his injury and the ways we could pray.  He himself left many video messages that will comfort the family in the years to come.  However, at the point when disaster struck, the one who had to be strong—though she was facing her own shock, fear, denial, anguish—was his one and only daughter, a strong daughter like the one I have.
              I don’t know his widow, but I have journeyed the path that she is forced to take.  No one willingly walks down the valley of the shadow of death.  She will be strong in her own way.  I can tell that by the daughter she raised, and the way her husband talked about his soulmate.  The God of all comfort will comfort her in the only way that matters.  She will find a way to put one foot in front of the other while her heart is melting like wax.  Her daughter will be experiencing it too but in a totally different way.  Her grief must be walked through beside her mom and brothers but as only a daughter can experience. 
              I have tears in my eyes as I consider the months and years ahead for this fragile family who appear so strong.  I am so glad they are connected to a strong spiritual community who will provide bumpers that will push them back together until their heart can hold all that they have to face and accept about their lives and moving forward without their beloved husband and father.  It’s a heart-crushing experience and there is no way to extract the bitter agony because of his absence.
              The song message he gave the last time he, personally, could update others about his need for prayer was titled In Christ Alone.  Christ shines in strong daughters in a unique and quiet way.  The way Christ shines in strong daughters is the newness of the command that John wrote in 1 John 2:7-8: Dear friends, I am not writing you a new command but an old one, which you have had since the beginning. This old command is the message you have heard.  Yet I am writing you a new command; its truth is seen in him and in you, because the darkness is passing and the true light is already shining.  The command is love.  This has been the command from the Old Testament.  But IN CHRIST it becomes a new command because strong daughters are not strong alone.  They are strong because Christ lives in them.
              Strong daughters receive their strength in Christ alone!
              I always tell others that there is nothing like a firstborn daughter.  What joy to know that God decided to bless my oldest daughter with a firstborn daughter too.  What joy to watch them be strong and shine the light of Christ in this world.  Thank God for strong daughters who shine His light in the darkness. 

Copyright © 2017.  Deborah R Newman teatimeforyoursoul.com  All Rights Reserved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fifth Monday in Lent through Palm Sunday

Fifth Monday in Lent: Righteousness Needed Jesus is all about bringing us righteousness yet we are too worldly focused to think we have much of a need for righteousness. Most of us think we need healing or exciting miracles. We might try to get a little righteousness by going to church on Sunday and giving some spare change to a beggar. God sees the bigger picture and knows that there is nothing which we are more bankrupt than righteousness. He sees that we are totally incapable of getting the righteousness we need through our own actions, so He sent Jesus to give us His righteousness through His sacrificial work on the cross. Lent is a season of repentance and preparation for the Easter celebration. No matter how sacrificial your Lenten fast, it could never be enough to earn your righteousness. I have been practicing Lent for   years, and every year at the end of my fast I come face to face with how far I am from righteousness. Some of the first recorded words of Jesus in th

Lenten Devotions

First Monday in Lent: Lent—Winter/Spring I took a weekend Silent Lenten Retreat and learned how special the season of Lent (which means Spring) really is. Being in the lovely setting where winter-spring becomes its own season; I discovered that the transformation from winter to spring reveals the transformation of our souls in Lent. We had an absolutely gorgeous weekend to enjoy solitude with God. Lent is a perfect season to see in nature what God is drawing out of us through the spiritual disciplines we focus on through penitence and preparation for Easter. It is the in-between season that shows us a lot about what we are doing spiritually through our focus on confession. From a distance winter can seem stark and ugly. I feel the same way about confession. But if you take the time to see the winter you can see that the winter season reveals realities that get masked over by the growth of summer. In winter you become aware of what needs to be cleared away. In the same way the con

The Troubled Christian Life

              When I surrendered my vocation to God back when I was seventeen-years-old, He called me to a life of walking through the most broken realities that people face in a first-world country.  The verse that led me to this life was 2 Corinthians 1:3-4.  Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort,   who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God .  I began counseling others at the ripe age of 23.  I looked like I could have still been in high school, and the patients given to me rightly had their doubts.  I had my doubts too.  I knew that I didn’t have the wisdom to counseling people double my age.  I didn’t have a lot of experience of deep wounds either so I couldn’t talk to them from my own experiences of deep brokenness.  I was only helpful to them because I relied totally on the word of God and the presence of the Holy Spirit