Skip to main content

Thankful Hearts


              It’s Thanksgiving in America.  I’m thankful for Thanksgiving.  I’m thankful that the pilgrims and the Indians joined together to celebrate Thankfulness in the new community that was forming.  They demonstrated a moment in history that is worth repeating and celebrating.
              History reveals that supporting one another’s mutual good was not maintained in the years that followed this celebration.  Mutual thankfulness gave way to distrust, greed and war. The outcome was years passing without an annual celebration of thankfulness.  I wonder if we can learn from history how thankfulness and mutual care for one another in America can produce a good result for all who come to the table.  
              Thanksgiving 2016 happens in a year of a divided nation.  Riots and protests plagued our country after a hotly debated election.  Thanksgiving calls us to come to the table.  To set a historical Thanksgiving table, you could invite those who are different from you.  Wouldn’t it be great if every immigrant in America was invited to a Thanksgiving dinner?  What would happen if Trump voters and Trump protestors sat down to a meal and discussed their mutual thanksgivings rather than their many differences?  What if they tasted each other’s favorite side dishes and shared tips on cooking turkey while at the same time acknowledging their common interest for a peaceful life?      
              If, as a part of this meal, all gathered were asked to share that for which they were most thankful, would people with grave differences find commonality?  Would participants express gratitude to their God, their families or the people in their lives who had expressed the most love?  Would they express gratitude for new births and for those who have left this world with great love because they once were here?  Could they each be grateful to live in a nation where the people elect their leaders and the people’s voices are heard?  Would they be grateful that they share electricity, water, and air?  Would they find commonalities around a table of thankfulness?
              I believe they would.   I read posts on Facebook from people expressing one thing they are grateful for during the month of November.  Others post some of the points on my own gratitude list.  Psalm 35:18 expresses our great honor as humans: I will give you thanks in the great assembly; among the throngs I will praise you.  Every human being on this earth can find one point of gratitude.  They may not know that it is God who is the giver of every good gift, but they can see that there are gifts in this world, little kindnesses from the God who loves all of His inhabitants.  Even weeds produce lovely flowers and designs, unique and intricate.  All of God’s universe is filled with points of gratitude. 
              Perhaps if you share your gratefulness in the crowds, others will follow your example.  Rather than focus on your differences, ask your foes to share that for which they are most grateful.  See if you can agree on gratitude.  Gratefully acknowledge your differences. 
              We will hold strong opinions that might separate us, and perhaps that fact alone will turn into gratitude.  We can be grateful that we do not live in a vanilla world but in one with humans who, just like the weeds, produce lovely flowers and designs, unique and intricate. 

Copyright © 2016. Deborah R Newman  teatimeforyoursoul.com  All Rights Reserved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fifth Monday in Lent through Palm Sunday

Fifth Monday in Lent: Righteousness Needed Jesus is all about bringing us righteousness yet we are too worldly focused to think we have much of a need for righteousness. Most of us think we need healing or exciting miracles. We might try to get a little righteousness by going to church on Sunday and giving some spare change to a beggar. God sees the bigger picture and knows that there is nothing which we are more bankrupt than righteousness. He sees that we are totally incapable of getting the righteousness we need through our own actions, so He sent Jesus to give us His righteousness through His sacrificial work on the cross. Lent is a season of repentance and preparation for the Easter celebration. No matter how sacrificial your Lenten fast, it could never be enough to earn your righteousness. I have been practicing Lent for   years, and every year at the end of my fast I come face to face with how far I am from righteousness. Some of the first recorded words of Jesus in th

A Pilgrimage that Started with Tears

                Who would think I would shed tears deciding to set out on a wonderful journey that I have longed to take for many years?   Before I was ready to fully accept God’s invitation for a pilgrimage to Jerusalem, I had to journey to a place of agreement between what my soul wanted and what the Lord wanted for me.   For years I have been declining opportunities to travel to Israel—not because I didn’t want to go but because I wanted to go with my husband by my side.   I know that God could have arranged that for me, but instead He asked me to accept that He wanted me to be willing to go and leave everything behind.   When I was asked to make a decision about going on a Pilgrimage to Jerusalem, God gave me this verse in answer to my prayer -- Debi, observe therefore all the commands I am giving you today, so that you may have the strength to go in and take over the land that you are crossing the Jordan to possess (Deuteronomy 11:8).   I decided through tears that I would go on

The Missing Tribe of Dan

            The reason I love studying the Bible with a group of people is that they teach me things I don’t know.   I love it when I don’t know the answer to a question.   That is how I learn.   So when someone recounted the ugly tail of Dan’s idolatry in Judges 18 concluding with the passage in Judges 18:30-31 :   There the Danites set up for themselves the idol, and Jonathan son of Gershom, the son of Moses, and his sons were priests for the tribe of Dan until the time of the captivity of the land.   They continued to use the idol Micah had made, all the time the house of God was in Shiloh. I wanted to know if that could possibly be true that the Danites never ever worshiped God!   How could that be?             Before I had a chance to settle that question, someone in the class read the passage from Revelation 7 where the tribe of Dan was omitted.   I never considered that!   I never realized that a whole tribe of Israel was not found in the New Testament.   What could that