Skip to main content

The Cross and Your Soul


            No one knows better than my own children that I can become intrusive into your soul.  I often disregard their sacred space in my enthusiasm for them to know the love I have come to know from God.  My new husband is getting used to this and loving me anyway in spite of my passion.  I am trying to become more aware of my inappropriate intrusions and listen to the Holy Spirit.  The Holy Spirit leads me to the best ways to share my spiritual truth.
            All that said, I sense that what I am about to write about will intrude into your sacred space.  My passion for this subject may be a bit out of control.  I can’t help myself…I just have to write about it.  We Christians are as a group far too inoculated to the effect of the cross on our souls.
            In preparation for Lent, I have been teaching about the Seven Sayings from the Cross.  With such little written material, it has caused me to enter into the realities of the context from which Jesus is speaking.  I can imagine the physical pain the cross caused for Jesus.  I have felt physical pain, although not even close to the torture He endured.  The spiritual pain was far worse for Him and something I will never face.  Because I have taken on Christ’s righteousness as my own through the puny act of faith in Him and facing the truth about me—that I am completely condemned as a sinner without Christ—I will never be forsaken by God as Jesus was on the cross.
            I don’t have words to describe the significance of the cross for my soul.  Today the cross is a familiar symbol of beauty and Christianity.  Some wear a cross as jewelry because it is in fashion.  We decorate walls with crosses.  Some of us look at some form of a cross every day.  Yet how often do we look at the cross so that our souls cry out in thankfulness and awe of the power of the cross?
            It’s hard to make the cross the center of your life.  The Apostle Paul claimed to live this way.  May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world (Galatians 6:14).  The cross seemed to affect not only his spiritual future but also his everyday way of living.  The cross overwhelmed all his desires for the offerings of the world.  For Paul there was nothing else in the entire universe that meant more to his soul than the cross.  I imagine that he could enjoy a beautiful sunset.  I know how much he loved God’s people.  He felt a special bond with his sons in the faith—Timothy and Titus.  All of these are aspects of the world that mean a lot to my soul as well.  So much of the world distracts me from the cross, but Paul he considered the cross the biggest boast of his life.  There was nothing in this world to compare to his view of the cross.
            My focus on the cross this Lent is broadening my appreciation of the reality of what it means to my life.  I wear a cross every day.  I think of the protection that Christ gives me through the cross.  Even when I was in a Muslim country where my cross could stir up aggression, I wore one tucked inside my shirt. I put thought into my jewelry that is in the shape of the cross.  I see it more as for me.  I think of the benefits for myself.
            That’s not enough for my soul.  When I stop and examine the cross in the way Paul describes, I love the cross for God, for Jesus and for the Holy Spirit.  I see its glory in the symbol of eternal love, trust, sacrifice, joy, heartache, relationship, and victory.  The cross is beyond comparison to anything in all the world.  I know I will never know the depth of the cross; but when my soul connects to the power of the cross, I realize that everything is made right. 
            The cross is my soul’s joy and crown.

Copyright ©2016  Deborah R Newman teatimeforyoursoul.com  All Rights Reserved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fifth Monday in Lent through Palm Sunday

Fifth Monday in Lent: Righteousness Needed Jesus is all about bringing us righteousness yet we are too worldly focused to think we have much of a need for righteousness. Most of us think we need healing or exciting miracles. We might try to get a little righteousness by going to church on Sunday and giving some spare change to a beggar. God sees the bigger picture and knows that there is nothing which we are more bankrupt than righteousness. He sees that we are totally incapable of getting the righteousness we need through our own actions, so He sent Jesus to give us His righteousness through His sacrificial work on the cross. Lent is a season of repentance and preparation for the Easter celebration. No matter how sacrificial your Lenten fast, it could never be enough to earn your righteousness. I have been practicing Lent for   years, and every year at the end of my fast I come face to face with how far I am from righteousness. Some of the first recorded words of Jesus in th

Lenten Devotions

First Monday in Lent: Lent—Winter/Spring I took a weekend Silent Lenten Retreat and learned how special the season of Lent (which means Spring) really is. Being in the lovely setting where winter-spring becomes its own season; I discovered that the transformation from winter to spring reveals the transformation of our souls in Lent. We had an absolutely gorgeous weekend to enjoy solitude with God. Lent is a perfect season to see in nature what God is drawing out of us through the spiritual disciplines we focus on through penitence and preparation for Easter. It is the in-between season that shows us a lot about what we are doing spiritually through our focus on confession. From a distance winter can seem stark and ugly. I feel the same way about confession. But if you take the time to see the winter you can see that the winter season reveals realities that get masked over by the growth of summer. In winter you become aware of what needs to be cleared away. In the same way the con

The Troubled Christian Life

              When I surrendered my vocation to God back when I was seventeen-years-old, He called me to a life of walking through the most broken realities that people face in a first-world country.  The verse that led me to this life was 2 Corinthians 1:3-4.  Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort,   who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God .  I began counseling others at the ripe age of 23.  I looked like I could have still been in high school, and the patients given to me rightly had their doubts.  I had my doubts too.  I knew that I didn’t have the wisdom to counseling people double my age.  I didn’t have a lot of experience of deep wounds either so I couldn’t talk to them from my own experiences of deep brokenness.  I was only helpful to them because I relied totally on the word of God and the presence of the Holy Spirit