Skip to main content

Saying No to the Bible!


            On a recent mission trip, I experienced a sad reality.  Our team was sent out into desperately poor neighborhoods where we knocked on doors and spread the Good News about God’s love for them and about a new church with a great pastor in town.  We entered into kind conversation.  Whether they believed that God really could love them or cared whether God loved them or not, they were always courteous.
            I have never been turned down so many times when I offered a Bible.  You would think that at least they might take it and try to sell it or something.  Perhaps they said no for holy reasons; they saw it as special and they knew they were not going to read it so better to leave it for someone who would read it.  It was a strange experience to have so many people say no when asked if they wanted to have a Bible.
            When I stop and think about it, how many of us have said no to the Bible today?  We have the very words of God written down in a handy collection, but our life choices demonstrate that we think it is nice that there might be a God out there who loves us, yet we don’t think highly enough of Him to believe His Words should have any impact in our lives.
            I’ve developed a habit of reading the Bible when I was 16 years old so I have read it over and over.  I can’t get to the end.  It is always relevant to my life.  The stories never grow old!  I have gotten so attached to reading the Bible daily that even if I am in a situation where I don’t have time in the morning, I won’t leave the house without at least having a word or phrase from the Bible to take with me into the day.  I may not be able to have my regular routine of devotions, yet the one word from Scripture is essential for me.
            What I’m trying to say is that I don’t see myself as someone who says No to the Bible.  Yet each time another person declined the Bible I offered them, I began to take a deeper look at myself.  When do I say No to the Bible?  I do stop to get that word or phrase for the day, but many days I cannot recall it when I try. (I write it down because I can’t remember.) I don’t think of it again until I’m in a tight spot or confusing situation, and I try to think what did God say to me today.  I often have to go and look at what I wrote down.  My normal way of living my life is to read the Bible then live what comes naturally to me and only consult it when I get to a decision or situation where I don’t know what to do.
            God has given us His Word.  After Jesus and the Holy Spirit, it is the most amazing gift we have been given.  Paul said in 2 Timothy 3:16-17 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.
            I have been given a God-breathed tool that is useful for the most important training of my time in this world.  It teaches me, rebukes me, corrects me and trains me to be a righteous servant and fully aware of every good work God sends for me to do!  I want to stop saying No to the Bible.

Copyright © 2015. Deborah R Newman teatimeforyoursoul.com  All Rights Reserved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fifth Monday in Lent through Palm Sunday

Fifth Monday in Lent: Righteousness Needed Jesus is all about bringing us righteousness yet we are too worldly focused to think we have much of a need for righteousness. Most of us think we need healing or exciting miracles. We might try to get a little righteousness by going to church on Sunday and giving some spare change to a beggar. God sees the bigger picture and knows that there is nothing which we are more bankrupt than righteousness. He sees that we are totally incapable of getting the righteousness we need through our own actions, so He sent Jesus to give us His righteousness through His sacrificial work on the cross. Lent is a season of repentance and preparation for the Easter celebration. No matter how sacrificial your Lenten fast, it could never be enough to earn your righteousness. I have been practicing Lent for   years, and every year at the end of my fast I come face to face with how far I am from righteousness. Some of the first recorded words of Jesus in th

A Pilgrimage that Started with Tears

                Who would think I would shed tears deciding to set out on a wonderful journey that I have longed to take for many years?   Before I was ready to fully accept God’s invitation for a pilgrimage to Jerusalem, I had to journey to a place of agreement between what my soul wanted and what the Lord wanted for me.   For years I have been declining opportunities to travel to Israel—not because I didn’t want to go but because I wanted to go with my husband by my side.   I know that God could have arranged that for me, but instead He asked me to accept that He wanted me to be willing to go and leave everything behind.   When I was asked to make a decision about going on a Pilgrimage to Jerusalem, God gave me this verse in answer to my prayer -- Debi, observe therefore all the commands I am giving you today, so that you may have the strength to go in and take over the land that you are crossing the Jordan to possess (Deuteronomy 11:8).   I decided through tears that I would go on

The Troubled Christian Life

              When I surrendered my vocation to God back when I was seventeen-years-old, He called me to a life of walking through the most broken realities that people face in a first-world country.  The verse that led me to this life was 2 Corinthians 1:3-4.  Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort,   who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God .  I began counseling others at the ripe age of 23.  I looked like I could have still been in high school, and the patients given to me rightly had their doubts.  I had my doubts too.  I knew that I didn’t have the wisdom to counseling people double my age.  I didn’t have a lot of experience of deep wounds either so I couldn’t talk to them from my own experiences of deep brokenness.  I was only helpful to them because I relied totally on the word of God and the presence of the Holy Spirit