Skip to main content

Easter Displays Love for Enemies



            From the parables told during Holy Week to the obvious display from the cross—Easter is about showing love to your enemies.  God never asks us to do something He does not do Himself.  In fact, the Christian life is about becoming more and more like Christ.  During Easter Jesus’ very existence displays His love for enemies.  You see we are all His enemies.  Every last one of us!  Isaiah 53:6 sums up the truth about us all: We all, like sheep, have gone astray, each of us has turned to our own way; and the Lord has laid on him the iniquity of us all.  Isaiah included himself in that statement.  He was following God as well as he was able, yet he fell far short of righteousness.  He too was an enemy of God.  He too needed a Savior!
            Loving an enemy like Isaiah is reasonable.   After all, it is clear he was doing the very best he could.  You love people like that in your life.  They may let you down or fail to fulfill what they promised, but you can conclude that they were giving it their best shot.  You love them anyway.  That’s good.  That is a start.  It is clear that Jesus loved His fallen, finite and fouled-up disciples in that way too. 
            Jesus demonstrates a love for enemies that goes far deeper than that.  Jesus showed how to love those enemies who blatantly hate, accuse and mistreat you.   Perhaps you believe you do not have enemies like that.  If you are not aware of those kinds of enemies, it may be because your way of dealing with them is to repress thoughts of them and not consider their existence.  You cage them up in a box and exist as if they are not part of your world. 
            God invites you to do more than that.  He wants to use the feeling you have about your enemies to teach you true love and to show you who your true enemy is.  If you face the anger you have inside about people who hurt you or those you love, you will feel trapped by them.  Your anger gives them a place to hold you in a prison.  When you turn your anger over to God, He tells you to forgive these same ones who have hurt you so deeply so that your soul does not become darkened by their deeds.  You are invited to live totally free from the darkness enemies cast in your soul.  Through forgiving your enemies, you receive spiritual light that becomes obvious to the world.  Genuine forgiveness of others helps you gain deeper insight into the power of God’s forgiveness of your own sins. 
            Walk with Jesus during Holy Week and you will witness firsthand how to love your enemies.  He wants you to live like Him.  He shows you how to do it.  He doesn’t avoid His enemies.  He answers them when they approach Him.  He is not afraid to speak the truth strongly to them.  He loves them to the end.  Even from the cross interceding for them to be forgiven,; because they do not know what they are doing.  Your enemies cannot see clearly that they are being used as pawns of Satan to attempt to destroy the indestructible love of God. 
            Why does God want you to love your enemies?  It seems twofold to me.  The first reason is to deepen your understanding of your forgiven state before God.  The second is to recognize that your human enemies are not your true enemies.  The enemy of your soul is not a human.  It is the devil.  You are no match for that enemy; however, Jesus has taken care of that for you.  Through the hard work of the cross, He has destroyed Satan’s power over you.  Paul taught us how to fight our true enemy in Ephesians 6.  We do this through the armor of God.  Let God transform your soul through love of your human enemies!
Copyright © 2015.  Deborah R Newman  teatimeforyoursoul.com  All Rights Reserved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fifth Monday in Lent through Palm Sunday

Fifth Monday in Lent: Righteousness Needed Jesus is all about bringing us righteousness yet we are too worldly focused to think we have much of a need for righteousness. Most of us think we need healing or exciting miracles. We might try to get a little righteousness by going to church on Sunday and giving some spare change to a beggar. God sees the bigger picture and knows that there is nothing which we are more bankrupt than righteousness. He sees that we are totally incapable of getting the righteousness we need through our own actions, so He sent Jesus to give us His righteousness through His sacrificial work on the cross. Lent is a season of repentance and preparation for the Easter celebration. No matter how sacrificial your Lenten fast, it could never be enough to earn your righteousness. I have been practicing Lent for   years, and every year at the end of my fast I come face to face with how far I am from righteousness. Some of the first recorded words of Jesus in th

A Pilgrimage that Started with Tears

                Who would think I would shed tears deciding to set out on a wonderful journey that I have longed to take for many years?   Before I was ready to fully accept God’s invitation for a pilgrimage to Jerusalem, I had to journey to a place of agreement between what my soul wanted and what the Lord wanted for me.   For years I have been declining opportunities to travel to Israel—not because I didn’t want to go but because I wanted to go with my husband by my side.   I know that God could have arranged that for me, but instead He asked me to accept that He wanted me to be willing to go and leave everything behind.   When I was asked to make a decision about going on a Pilgrimage to Jerusalem, God gave me this verse in answer to my prayer -- Debi, observe therefore all the commands I am giving you today, so that you may have the strength to go in and take over the land that you are crossing the Jordan to possess (Deuteronomy 11:8).   I decided through tears that I would go on

The Troubled Christian Life

              When I surrendered my vocation to God back when I was seventeen-years-old, He called me to a life of walking through the most broken realities that people face in a first-world country.  The verse that led me to this life was 2 Corinthians 1:3-4.  Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort,   who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God .  I began counseling others at the ripe age of 23.  I looked like I could have still been in high school, and the patients given to me rightly had their doubts.  I had my doubts too.  I knew that I didn’t have the wisdom to counseling people double my age.  I didn’t have a lot of experience of deep wounds either so I couldn’t talk to them from my own experiences of deep brokenness.  I was only helpful to them because I relied totally on the word of God and the presence of the Holy Spirit