Skip to main content

Come, Deny, Follow



            I spend my life trying to follow Jesus and teach others how to follow Him also.  I love to hear how unique each person’s story of transformation in Christ becomes.  There are no instant formulas to transformation and Christlikeness.  I stopped looking for the formula long ago.  There is a pattern of transformation.  Christians for centuries have been talking about spiritual growth using three stages—purgative, illuminative and unitive.  I have recognized these patterns in my own transformation and in the lives of others.  I find them helpful to understand what is really happening to our souls.
            I am astounded when I find myself at peace in a storm or not fuming at someone who has acted against me.  That is not me!  I know that it is Christ living in me.  How does that happen?  How do we open ourselves to the kind of transformation that makes us better than we are?
            I see the pattern in Luke 9:23.  It is the instruction that Jesus gave to his disciples that birthed their transformation.   Then he said to them all: Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me.  The first stage of transformation is coming to Jesus.  You have to have a want to follow Him.  This usually happens after you have followed all the multitude of directions the world promises for happiness and satisfaction.  Once you have explored all those categories and found them lacking, you begin to want Jesus.
            The next phase is harder still; you begin to be willing to deny yourself and obey Him.  Obedience to Jesus is not easy on a soul.  Though we want Him on some levels, we soon recognize that we don’t really want the sacrifice part that is necessary to have him.  Obedience isn’t easy, that’s for sure.  It doesn’t get easier, but it helps when you experience the rewards of obedience to push your soul forward.  I wrestle with God to give over the obstacles in my mind to follow His seeming irrational urging to move in a certain direction.  When He asks me to love my enemy, for example, it might take a time of wrestling before I’m willing to do the opposite of what my mind tells me to do.  Denying yourself is a conversion of your mind.
            It’s only after coming to Jesus—wanting to follow Him and not the world, hearing from Him then denying myself and picking up my cross that I get to the real fruit of the spiritual life—following Jesus.  When you are close enough to follow Jesus, your spirit is united with His. 
            Come, deny, follow—it is a pattern, not a formula.  I have found this rhythm producing fruit in my life.  When I stop coming to Jesus and denying myself, I realize after a time that I am not one with Him.  That’s when I come again and tell Him once more that I want what He wants for me in this life.  He shows me how I am not obeying, not denying myself.  I struggle until I obey—the good thing is that I don’t have to like it; I just have to do it.  All of the sudden I feel the joy and peace and pleasure of His good and pleasing and perfect will!
            I hope you can see your spiritual life in this pattern too.
Copyright © 2014. Deborah R Newman teatimeforyoursoul.com  All Rights Reserved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fifth Monday in Lent through Palm Sunday

Fifth Monday in Lent: Righteousness Needed Jesus is all about bringing us righteousness yet we are too worldly focused to think we have much of a need for righteousness. Most of us think we need healing or exciting miracles. We might try to get a little righteousness by going to church on Sunday and giving some spare change to a beggar. God sees the bigger picture and knows that there is nothing which we are more bankrupt than righteousness. He sees that we are totally incapable of getting the righteousness we need through our own actions, so He sent Jesus to give us His righteousness through His sacrificial work on the cross. Lent is a season of repentance and preparation for the Easter celebration. No matter how sacrificial your Lenten fast, it could never be enough to earn your righteousness. I have been practicing Lent for   years, and every year at the end of my fast I come face to face with how far I am from righteousness. Some of the first recorded words of Jesus in th

Lenten Devotions

First Monday in Lent: Lent—Winter/Spring I took a weekend Silent Lenten Retreat and learned how special the season of Lent (which means Spring) really is. Being in the lovely setting where winter-spring becomes its own season; I discovered that the transformation from winter to spring reveals the transformation of our souls in Lent. We had an absolutely gorgeous weekend to enjoy solitude with God. Lent is a perfect season to see in nature what God is drawing out of us through the spiritual disciplines we focus on through penitence and preparation for Easter. It is the in-between season that shows us a lot about what we are doing spiritually through our focus on confession. From a distance winter can seem stark and ugly. I feel the same way about confession. But if you take the time to see the winter you can see that the winter season reveals realities that get masked over by the growth of summer. In winter you become aware of what needs to be cleared away. In the same way the con

The Troubled Christian Life

              When I surrendered my vocation to God back when I was seventeen-years-old, He called me to a life of walking through the most broken realities that people face in a first-world country.  The verse that led me to this life was 2 Corinthians 1:3-4.  Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort,   who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God .  I began counseling others at the ripe age of 23.  I looked like I could have still been in high school, and the patients given to me rightly had their doubts.  I had my doubts too.  I knew that I didn’t have the wisdom to counseling people double my age.  I didn’t have a lot of experience of deep wounds either so I couldn’t talk to them from my own experiences of deep brokenness.  I was only helpful to them because I relied totally on the word of God and the presence of the Holy Spirit