Skip to main content

Just Ask


 
            We can make living a life worthy of our calling in Christ so complicated when we neglect one simple spiritual reality--we forget that we are powerless.  It sure does take a long, long, long time to become holy.  How many truly holy people do you know? 

            If you haven’t noticed by now, I would like to point out to you that becoming holy is a far cry from who we are.  We are destined for holiness and called to holiness, yet once we get clear enough to want holiness, we realize how hard and distant holiness is.  Rather than cause you to get discouraged and give up, I hope you will learn from what I have for this week; all I have to do is ask.

            I was having one of those obviously less-than-holy weeks.  It’s not that I was oblivious to all those around me.  I’ve cleaned up pretty well so no one would have known that I wasn’t fully connecting to God as I once had.  I knew.  I could feel it.  I was being tempted by one sneaky little thing that was keeping me distant from God.

            Since I have become what is often thought of as a more mature Christian, I just condemned myself and went about trying to just stop it.  The more I fought it, the further I felt from God.  It was two full days before the simple solution hit me.  I just cried out to God and told Him how powerless I am against this temptation.  It was then that I began to feel the connection to his power.

            Falling isn’t as much the problem as self-sufficiency is.  All I had to do was ask.  God is a gentleman.  He often doesn’t come where He is not invited.  Just a simple opening and He was with me in a special way. 

            My situation made me think back to Peter’s predicament when he asked Jesus to prove that He was Jesus by asking him to walk on water in the midst of the great storm.  He got out of the boat and started to walk on water (the only disciple to ever walk on water) a great victory.  In the midst of this mystical moment, he looked towards the menacing waves and gave into his natural fear.  These were swells that had brought the entire flock of disciples to the brink of death. 

            The greater victory, above walking on water in a fierce storm, was crying out to Jesus for help.  All he had to do was ask and Jesus pulled him out of the sinking position and lifted him back into the boat.  Just when they got in, the storm ceased.  Peter prayed the prayer that counts; he called Save me. 

Jesus said: Until now you have not asked for anything in my name. Ask and you will receive, and your joy will be complete. John 16:24.

            Don’t forget to ask.  You don’t have to wander about for days in a delusion of self-will.  You can call out to Him at any moment.  Just ask.

Copyright © 2014.  Deborah R. Newman  teatimeforyoursoul.com  All Rights Reserved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fifth Monday in Lent through Palm Sunday

Fifth Monday in Lent: Righteousness Needed Jesus is all about bringing us righteousness yet we are too worldly focused to think we have much of a need for righteousness. Most of us think we need healing or exciting miracles. We might try to get a little righteousness by going to church on Sunday and giving some spare change to a beggar. God sees the bigger picture and knows that there is nothing which we are more bankrupt than righteousness. He sees that we are totally incapable of getting the righteousness we need through our own actions, so He sent Jesus to give us His righteousness through His sacrificial work on the cross. Lent is a season of repentance and preparation for the Easter celebration. No matter how sacrificial your Lenten fast, it could never be enough to earn your righteousness. I have been practicing Lent for   years, and every year at the end of my fast I come face to face with how far I am from righteousness. Some of the first recorded words of Jesus in th

Lenten Devotions

First Monday in Lent: Lent—Winter/Spring I took a weekend Silent Lenten Retreat and learned how special the season of Lent (which means Spring) really is. Being in the lovely setting where winter-spring becomes its own season; I discovered that the transformation from winter to spring reveals the transformation of our souls in Lent. We had an absolutely gorgeous weekend to enjoy solitude with God. Lent is a perfect season to see in nature what God is drawing out of us through the spiritual disciplines we focus on through penitence and preparation for Easter. It is the in-between season that shows us a lot about what we are doing spiritually through our focus on confession. From a distance winter can seem stark and ugly. I feel the same way about confession. But if you take the time to see the winter you can see that the winter season reveals realities that get masked over by the growth of summer. In winter you become aware of what needs to be cleared away. In the same way the con

The Troubled Christian Life

              When I surrendered my vocation to God back when I was seventeen-years-old, He called me to a life of walking through the most broken realities that people face in a first-world country.  The verse that led me to this life was 2 Corinthians 1:3-4.  Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort,   who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God .  I began counseling others at the ripe age of 23.  I looked like I could have still been in high school, and the patients given to me rightly had their doubts.  I had my doubts too.  I knew that I didn’t have the wisdom to counseling people double my age.  I didn’t have a lot of experience of deep wounds either so I couldn’t talk to them from my own experiences of deep brokenness.  I was only helpful to them because I relied totally on the word of God and the presence of the Holy Spirit