Skip to main content

Humility Check


 
            Did you hear the one about when the tax collector and the Pharisee prayed at the temple?  It may sound like a joke, but there is nothing funny about it.  In this story both did some heartfelt praying, but one went home justified and the other when home further away from God than he was when he came.  The story is recorded in Luke 18:9-14.

To some who were confident of their own righteousness and looked down on everyone else, Jesus told this parable: 10 “Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other people—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.’  13 “But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, ‘God, have mercy on me, a sinner.’14 “I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.”

            We humans are not wise enough to notice these important things so that is why it is so good that Jesus could point it out to us.  In keeping with His other parables, this story has an important point to make not only about prayer but also about self-righteous thinking.

            Prayer is about communicating with God.  So when your prayer is all about telling God what a Christian rockstar you are, you’ve got a problem.  You need to get a little of yourself out of the way if you are talking to your Great, Wonderful, Beautiful God.  His Holiness and Almighty Awesomeness needs to come into play at some point in prayer.  Otherwise, what is the point of your prayer? 

Recognizing who you are praying to will cause you to grasp how majestic He is.   Acknowledging God will change your prayer focus.  If you consider Who He is, you will not be bringing your petty little fasting history up to him.  Rather, you will be utterly amazed that the one who made the heavens is willing to even hear your prayers—Psalm 8.  Don’t get me wrong.  Jesus is all for fasting and giving and living a holy life.  He is not about thinking these practices make you better than the next guy.  Rather than exalting yourself because you follow God, you need to humble yourself because even becoming as holy as humanly possible is not holy enough before God.  We should always be amazed at the mercy and love of God for fallen human beings.

            The Tax Collector was very aware of his need for the mercy of God.  When he entered the temple to pray, he felt the awesome holiness of God and became ever aware of his unholiness.  He cried for mercy.  Jesus announced through this story that his was an effective prayer.  His prayer transformed his life.  He left the temple justified, while the Pharisee left just as trapped in sin as when he came.

            Humility is the key to life changing prayer.

Copyright © 2014.  Deborah R. Newman teatimeforyoursoul.com  All Rights Reserved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fifth Monday in Lent through Palm Sunday

Fifth Monday in Lent: Righteousness Needed Jesus is all about bringing us righteousness yet we are too worldly focused to think we have much of a need for righteousness. Most of us think we need healing or exciting miracles. We might try to get a little righteousness by going to church on Sunday and giving some spare change to a beggar. God sees the bigger picture and knows that there is nothing which we are more bankrupt than righteousness. He sees that we are totally incapable of getting the righteousness we need through our own actions, so He sent Jesus to give us His righteousness through His sacrificial work on the cross. Lent is a season of repentance and preparation for the Easter celebration. No matter how sacrificial your Lenten fast, it could never be enough to earn your righteousness. I have been practicing Lent for   years, and every year at the end of my fast I come face to face with how far I am from righteousness. Some of the first recorded words of Jesus in th

Lenten Devotions

First Monday in Lent: Lent—Winter/Spring I took a weekend Silent Lenten Retreat and learned how special the season of Lent (which means Spring) really is. Being in the lovely setting where winter-spring becomes its own season; I discovered that the transformation from winter to spring reveals the transformation of our souls in Lent. We had an absolutely gorgeous weekend to enjoy solitude with God. Lent is a perfect season to see in nature what God is drawing out of us through the spiritual disciplines we focus on through penitence and preparation for Easter. It is the in-between season that shows us a lot about what we are doing spiritually through our focus on confession. From a distance winter can seem stark and ugly. I feel the same way about confession. But if you take the time to see the winter you can see that the winter season reveals realities that get masked over by the growth of summer. In winter you become aware of what needs to be cleared away. In the same way the con

The Troubled Christian Life

              When I surrendered my vocation to God back when I was seventeen-years-old, He called me to a life of walking through the most broken realities that people face in a first-world country.  The verse that led me to this life was 2 Corinthians 1:3-4.  Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort,   who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God .  I began counseling others at the ripe age of 23.  I looked like I could have still been in high school, and the patients given to me rightly had their doubts.  I had my doubts too.  I knew that I didn’t have the wisdom to counseling people double my age.  I didn’t have a lot of experience of deep wounds either so I couldn’t talk to them from my own experiences of deep brokenness.  I was only helpful to them because I relied totally on the word of God and the presence of the Holy Spirit