Skip to main content

The Missing Tribe of Dan

            The reason I love studying the Bible with a group of people is that they teach me things I don’t know.  I love it when I don’t know the answer to a question.  That is how I learn.  So when someone recounted the ugly tail of Dan’s idolatry in Judges 18 concluding with the passage in Judges 18:30-31:  There the Danites set up for themselves the idol, and Jonathan son of Gershom, the son of Moses, and his sons were priests for the tribe of Dan until the time of the captivity of the land.  They continued to use the idol Micah had made, all the time the house of God was in Shiloh. I wanted to know if that could possibly be true that the Danites never ever worshiped God!  How could that be?

            Before I had a chance to settle that question, someone in the class read the passage from Revelation 7 where the tribe of Dan was omitted.  I never considered that!  I never realized that a whole tribe of Israel was not found in the New Testament.  What could that mean?  As an avid reader of the Old Testament, I am constantly trying to help people see that is not that God is so mean; it is that man is so depraved.

            In the case of the missing tribe of Dan, the answers are worth finding out.  Actually, two tribes are not mentioned; Ephraim and Dan.  Some wonder if the Revelation 7 omit is a textual issue and that the tribe Manasseh (the son of Joseph) was meant to be Dan (just spelled wrong through the ages) and in fact Ephraim and Manasseh are combined into the name Joseph (since he was the son of Jacob and Ephraim and Manasseh were the grandsons).  However,  Ephraim’s tribe was the one who had the idols that the Danites stole.  I think it is striking that these two names specifically are not mentioned in Revelation 7.  They are idolaters and because of that reason they are not part of the promises of heaven.  It also gives me a deeper understanding of the Samaritans (the ancestors of Dan and Ephraim) that we encounter so often in the Gospels.  It helps me see how they got so far from God.  It is even more meaningful to me that Jesus reached out to them and some Samaritans responded to the Good News. 

            I will never completely understand the Bible and especially Revelation and what the 144,000 list in Revelation 7 means exactly.  What I can know is that the missing names cause me to reflect on the fact that idolatry is worship of Satan and I don’t want any part of it.  I must constantly stand on guard against idolatry if I don’t want to take a chance that I will be left off an important spiritual list.

            The missing tribes of Dan and Ephraim are indeed a lesson to me.  They are a warning I must heed.  They teach me that God is amazingly faithful to amazingly unfaithful people.  I know that idolatry is a grievous sin. This particular strain of idolatry was took root when a mother overlooked her own son’s stealing.  Rather than rebuke him, she gave him free reign and encouraged his path to idolatry.  The missing tribes make me want to stay eager to examine my life and be ever mindful of how easy it was for these tribes to walk away from the beauty and truth of God and exchange it for an idol made of stolen gold.

            What have you learned that you never knew about the Bible lately?

Copyright ©2013.  Deborah R. Newman www.teatimeforyoursoul.com  All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. Since Ezekiel 48 specifically mentions tribe of Dan's land boundaries in the millennial reign, and the Gate named for the tribe of Dan in the City of Jerusalem for millennial reign, and the two half tribes of Joseph share one gate, then the "missing tribe" is based on nothing that has any foundational proof in all Scripture. Even Rev 21 shows the gate named Dan is there...with the other 11 gates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the above, correction: the Revelation 21 twelve gates to the City of God, New Jerusalem, are in the New creation and the Ezekiel 48 gates are to the millennial City of God, Jerusalem.
    Thanks for letting me reply.
    Terrie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fifth Monday in Lent through Palm Sunday

Fifth Monday in Lent: Righteousness Needed Jesus is all about bringing us righteousness yet we are too worldly focused to think we have much of a need for righteousness. Most of us think we need healing or exciting miracles. We might try to get a little righteousness by going to church on Sunday and giving some spare change to a beggar. God sees the bigger picture and knows that there is nothing which we are more bankrupt than righteousness. He sees that we are totally incapable of getting the righteousness we need through our own actions, so He sent Jesus to give us His righteousness through His sacrificial work on the cross. Lent is a season of repentance and preparation for the Easter celebration. No matter how sacrificial your Lenten fast, it could never be enough to earn your righteousness. I have been practicing Lent for   years, and every year at the end of my fast I come face to face with how far I am from righteousness. Some of the first recorded words of Jesus in th

A Pilgrimage that Started with Tears

                Who would think I would shed tears deciding to set out on a wonderful journey that I have longed to take for many years?   Before I was ready to fully accept God’s invitation for a pilgrimage to Jerusalem, I had to journey to a place of agreement between what my soul wanted and what the Lord wanted for me.   For years I have been declining opportunities to travel to Israel—not because I didn’t want to go but because I wanted to go with my husband by my side.   I know that God could have arranged that for me, but instead He asked me to accept that He wanted me to be willing to go and leave everything behind.   When I was asked to make a decision about going on a Pilgrimage to Jerusalem, God gave me this verse in answer to my prayer -- Debi, observe therefore all the commands I am giving you today, so that you may have the strength to go in and take over the land that you are crossing the Jordan to possess (Deuteronomy 11:8).   I decided through tears that I would go on