Skip to main content

FAITH


            They don’t call it faith for nothing.  My proof readers will want to change that sentence…but it is the best way to say what I need to say.  I’m not God, but even I’m a little fed up with the weak-willed faith I hear coming from the hearts of Christians.  Faith does not mean that you pray, and you get your own way!  Faith is not about getting the things you want out of life!  Where’s the faith in that?

            Rather faith is trusting that what you can see isn’t all that is going on in any particular situation.  Faith is about believing what you can’t see. Hebrews 11:1 defines it:  Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see.  It involves believing that when the opposite of what you prayed for happens that there is something hopeful going on in heaven that you cannot see.  When the baby you have been praying for dies of cancer rather than responds to treatment, faith says there is more to the story.  A Christian who has faith will not lose hope. 

            Hebrews 11:6 goes so far to say: And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.  When your prayers don’t yield the results you were counting on happening on earth, faith believes the reward is ahead in heaven.  Faith does not look to what can be seen to determine God’s purposes.  Faith knows that what is not seen is real and will take place and bring hope!

            Faith doesn’t whine and complain that God is not fair or go off thinking God is not good just because our own finite human wishes aren’t granted.  Faith knows that God is bigger than our prayers.  God is wiser than our reasoning, and God is always good.  He always has our best interests at heart.  What looks like the worst is not the worst!

            There is something far worse—that would be not having faith.  Jean-Pierre de Caussade said: Faith will transform our perception.  In this life, faith is our light.  With it we can know what we can’t see, we can touch what we can’t feel, we can strip the world of everything superficial. Faith is the combination to God’s vault (Abandonment to Divine Providence).

            So…the people I have in mind whose faith I am judging in an incredulous manner in this devotion are just like me.  They have faith.  They have enough faith to think that God is behind the fact that they can’t get their own way.  They are not living in a faithless vacuum after all.  Perhaps I need to look in the mirror and see my own lack of faith and my own struggle with God as I demand my own way!

            Thank God for faith.  Thank God that the seed of faith keeps me spiritually alive. 

            Will you join with me and have a little more faith, especially when your prayers seem to be going south?  Will you have faith that God is good and that He loves you and has reasons you may not be able to understand now?

            Together, let’s have a little faith and see how our faith might grow.

Copyright 2013. Deborah R. Newman www.teatimeforyoursoul.com  All Rights Reserved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fifth Monday in Lent through Palm Sunday

Fifth Monday in Lent: Righteousness Needed Jesus is all about bringing us righteousness yet we are too worldly focused to think we have much of a need for righteousness. Most of us think we need healing or exciting miracles. We might try to get a little righteousness by going to church on Sunday and giving some spare change to a beggar. God sees the bigger picture and knows that there is nothing which we are more bankrupt than righteousness. He sees that we are totally incapable of getting the righteousness we need through our own actions, so He sent Jesus to give us His righteousness through His sacrificial work on the cross. Lent is a season of repentance and preparation for the Easter celebration. No matter how sacrificial your Lenten fast, it could never be enough to earn your righteousness. I have been practicing Lent for   years, and every year at the end of my fast I come face to face with how far I am from righteousness. Some of the first recorded words of Jesus in th

A Pilgrimage that Started with Tears

                Who would think I would shed tears deciding to set out on a wonderful journey that I have longed to take for many years?   Before I was ready to fully accept God’s invitation for a pilgrimage to Jerusalem, I had to journey to a place of agreement between what my soul wanted and what the Lord wanted for me.   For years I have been declining opportunities to travel to Israel—not because I didn’t want to go but because I wanted to go with my husband by my side.   I know that God could have arranged that for me, but instead He asked me to accept that He wanted me to be willing to go and leave everything behind.   When I was asked to make a decision about going on a Pilgrimage to Jerusalem, God gave me this verse in answer to my prayer -- Debi, observe therefore all the commands I am giving you today, so that you may have the strength to go in and take over the land that you are crossing the Jordan to possess (Deuteronomy 11:8).   I decided through tears that I would go on

The Missing Tribe of Dan

            The reason I love studying the Bible with a group of people is that they teach me things I don’t know.   I love it when I don’t know the answer to a question.   That is how I learn.   So when someone recounted the ugly tail of Dan’s idolatry in Judges 18 concluding with the passage in Judges 18:30-31 :   There the Danites set up for themselves the idol, and Jonathan son of Gershom, the son of Moses, and his sons were priests for the tribe of Dan until the time of the captivity of the land.   They continued to use the idol Micah had made, all the time the house of God was in Shiloh. I wanted to know if that could possibly be true that the Danites never ever worshiped God!   How could that be?             Before I had a chance to settle that question, someone in the class read the passage from Revelation 7 where the tribe of Dan was omitted.   I never considered that!   I never realized that a whole tribe of Israel was not found in the New Testament.   What could that