Skip to main content

Eastertide JOY


                The fifty days following Easter are called Eastertide.  During these days Christians celebrate Easter.  One of the ways we do that is to keep our spirits connected to the joy of the resurrection.  It takes about fifty days to take in the wonder of God’s recreating work through the cross and the empty tomb of Christ.  Even though Easter was a little early this year, some of us still have definite glimpses of spring to brighten the season.  I was out of town for a couple of days, and it was as if spring fast- forwarded, transforming most of the trees to that brilliant poppy green.  Once barren trees first budded with flowers, and now leaves too numerous to count fill all the branches.  We are still in transition here in Dallas, but you can’t help but feel joy on a warm sunny spring day.

                This same joy fills my heart.  It glazes over all the bitter circumstances that coexist with the joy.  God fills this world of sorrow with glimpses of joy.  It is when we won’t let the joy that exists around us into our souls that we give into the despair.  Thomas Aquinas said: Everyone who wants to make progress in the spiritual life needs to have joy (Commentary on the Letter to the Philippians).   Paul’s epistle of joy—Philippians—was written from a prison cell in Rome.  No doubt our suffering here on earth is harsh and real.  Because of God’s love poured out on this sinful earth, souls receive joy that supersedes the harsh reality of the world.  The joy is taken in by the soul first, then by the other senses.

                Spring is a wonderful season to practice the spiritual discipline of joy.  During Eastertide, set apart one hour to sit outside and take in everything that is going on around you.  Watch the tiny ants scurrying on their mission.  Notice the blades of grass that have turned green and rise up each in their own unique way to reach the sun.  Notice how some still dormant blades of grass lag behind yet are still vessels for life to come.  Listen for the birds the sound of bees buzzing around your stillness.  In the midst of whatever chaos is going on in your life, you can find joy in God and in His creation.  Think about how the reality of the resurrection is apparent everywhere you look in spring.  Everything that seemed dead, lost and defeated has become new, bursting with life, beauty and glory.  Don’t let Easter joy get squelched by the burdens, busyness and indifference of living

                For the fifty days of Eastertide, carry with you a song of joy in your heart.  When you are met with bad news, consider it joy that you are counted worthy to be tested about whether you can find authentic joy.  Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing (James 1:2-4).

                Let Eastertide point your soul toward the joy God hides on your path each day.  Pick it up; praise God for it.  Take it with you and you will find the spiritual progress Aquinas was speaking of.

Copyright © 2013.  Deborah R. Newman www.teatimeforyoursoul.com  All Rights Reserved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fifth Monday in Lent through Palm Sunday

Fifth Monday in Lent: Righteousness Needed Jesus is all about bringing us righteousness yet we are too worldly focused to think we have much of a need for righteousness. Most of us think we need healing or exciting miracles. We might try to get a little righteousness by going to church on Sunday and giving some spare change to a beggar. God sees the bigger picture and knows that there is nothing which we are more bankrupt than righteousness. He sees that we are totally incapable of getting the righteousness we need through our own actions, so He sent Jesus to give us His righteousness through His sacrificial work on the cross. Lent is a season of repentance and preparation for the Easter celebration. No matter how sacrificial your Lenten fast, it could never be enough to earn your righteousness. I have been practicing Lent for   years, and every year at the end of my fast I come face to face with how far I am from righteousness. Some of the first recorded words of Jesus in th

A Pilgrimage that Started with Tears

                Who would think I would shed tears deciding to set out on a wonderful journey that I have longed to take for many years?   Before I was ready to fully accept God’s invitation for a pilgrimage to Jerusalem, I had to journey to a place of agreement between what my soul wanted and what the Lord wanted for me.   For years I have been declining opportunities to travel to Israel—not because I didn’t want to go but because I wanted to go with my husband by my side.   I know that God could have arranged that for me, but instead He asked me to accept that He wanted me to be willing to go and leave everything behind.   When I was asked to make a decision about going on a Pilgrimage to Jerusalem, God gave me this verse in answer to my prayer -- Debi, observe therefore all the commands I am giving you today, so that you may have the strength to go in and take over the land that you are crossing the Jordan to possess (Deuteronomy 11:8).   I decided through tears that I would go on

The Troubled Christian Life

              When I surrendered my vocation to God back when I was seventeen-years-old, He called me to a life of walking through the most broken realities that people face in a first-world country.  The verse that led me to this life was 2 Corinthians 1:3-4.  Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort,   who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God .  I began counseling others at the ripe age of 23.  I looked like I could have still been in high school, and the patients given to me rightly had their doubts.  I had my doubts too.  I knew that I didn’t have the wisdom to counseling people double my age.  I didn’t have a lot of experience of deep wounds either so I couldn’t talk to them from my own experiences of deep brokenness.  I was only helpful to them because I relied totally on the word of God and the presence of the Holy Spirit