Skip to main content

The Ethics Behind Ethical Behavior


This week we celebrate Ash Wednesday—the beginning of Lent on Wednesday and St. Valentine’s Day on Thursday. I had already written the devotion before I was looking at the calendar.  This devotion about ethics has led me to consider the Lenten Season of penitence to prepare for Easter as the perfect time to focus this year’s Lenten series on our desire to eliminate sins from our earthly experience.  Not an easy task to achieve, but well worth living your life trying to attain!  So for Lent I will offer you a series that encourages you to think about the wonder of ceasing from sin and wish you a Happy Valentine’s Day hoping you feel God’s grand love for you!  

The Ethics Behind Ethical Behavior

            Every year my professional counseling license requires that I take a 3 hour ethics course to keep my status.  It is the only subject that is required.  Over the decades I have been to every kind of ethics class, including a stand-up comedy version.  The ones taught by lawyers are the worst.  After listening to them you are afraid to look at a client.  This year the presenter really caught my attention when she started off with the story of how she snuck into the HOV lane because she was late to teach an ethics course and admitted that she is just one orange jumpsuit away from being unethical herself!  I thought, now that’s a truthful place to begin.

            No one is completely ethical and sometimes for ethical reasons!  She gave an example of a counselor who reported herself to the ethics board for a hearing.  Anyone listening would understand how the ethical standards left her in a moral dilemma and she could not live with herself.  Even following ethical codes can’t make you ethical.  Funny thing about ethics, we have to admit that we are all unethical.  I agree that the counseling profession should require the grueling procedure of covering ethics from every angle, every year.  It is a profession that requires the highest of ethical standards in order to maintain the health and well-being of the ones who come seeking help and enter into a relationship of power.  Every profession needs ethical standards.  Sometimes it is the church that overlooks that they are the source of ethical standards.  Too often the church falls short from its duty to portray the difference living by the ethic of love makes on the world.

            Jesus gave us one ethical mandate and example that simplifies every ethical decision we will ever face.  He asks us to make love the standard of everything we do.  A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another (John 13:34).  He sets the ethical standards very high.  St. Francis of Assisi stated:  But I say love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you. We must follow in the footsteps of our Lord Jesus Christ, who called Judas—his betrayer—a friend and freely laid down his life for him. Our friends are those who bring suffering, shame, even death to us without provocation.  We must love them.  We must love them passionately, because they are helping us to receive eternal life.

He also makes it simple.  If your profession doesn’t have an ethical standard (or even if it does), I know a way that you can always remain ethical:  follow Jesus’ commandment.  Find a way to love like Jesus loved you and you will be using your best judgment in every encounter that you face.  Ask yourself, How would Jesus love me in this situation? And then respond as you believe He would.  Live in love and your ethics will greatly improve!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fifth Monday in Lent through Palm Sunday

Fifth Monday in Lent: Righteousness Needed Jesus is all about bringing us righteousness yet we are too worldly focused to think we have much of a need for righteousness. Most of us think we need healing or exciting miracles. We might try to get a little righteousness by going to church on Sunday and giving some spare change to a beggar. God sees the bigger picture and knows that there is nothing which we are more bankrupt than righteousness. He sees that we are totally incapable of getting the righteousness we need through our own actions, so He sent Jesus to give us His righteousness through His sacrificial work on the cross. Lent is a season of repentance and preparation for the Easter celebration. No matter how sacrificial your Lenten fast, it could never be enough to earn your righteousness. I have been practicing Lent for   years, and every year at the end of my fast I come face to face with how far I am from righteousness. Some of the first recorded words of Jesus in th

A Pilgrimage that Started with Tears

                Who would think I would shed tears deciding to set out on a wonderful journey that I have longed to take for many years?   Before I was ready to fully accept God’s invitation for a pilgrimage to Jerusalem, I had to journey to a place of agreement between what my soul wanted and what the Lord wanted for me.   For years I have been declining opportunities to travel to Israel—not because I didn’t want to go but because I wanted to go with my husband by my side.   I know that God could have arranged that for me, but instead He asked me to accept that He wanted me to be willing to go and leave everything behind.   When I was asked to make a decision about going on a Pilgrimage to Jerusalem, God gave me this verse in answer to my prayer -- Debi, observe therefore all the commands I am giving you today, so that you may have the strength to go in and take over the land that you are crossing the Jordan to possess (Deuteronomy 11:8).   I decided through tears that I would go on

The Troubled Christian Life

              When I surrendered my vocation to God back when I was seventeen-years-old, He called me to a life of walking through the most broken realities that people face in a first-world country.  The verse that led me to this life was 2 Corinthians 1:3-4.  Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort,   who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God .  I began counseling others at the ripe age of 23.  I looked like I could have still been in high school, and the patients given to me rightly had their doubts.  I had my doubts too.  I knew that I didn’t have the wisdom to counseling people double my age.  I didn’t have a lot of experience of deep wounds either so I couldn’t talk to them from my own experiences of deep brokenness.  I was only helpful to them because I relied totally on the word of God and the presence of the Holy Spirit