Skip to main content

God’s Grief

             God’s love is unimaginable.  The depths to which He will go to bring those He loves into relationship with Himself are awe inspiring.  My own personal experience of being separated from my husband through death has brought richer meaning to God’s love for me.

 As you can imagine, it is not easy to learn to live in the absence of someone who has been a constant strength for almost three decades.  All my siblings and I have long-term marriages.  I have noticed in each of us that we have taken on the characteristics of our spouses through the years.  For instance, I became more generous through living with Brian, and he became more willing to plan and save for the future through being married to me.  Decades of marriage merges minds as well as bodies and souls, thus your whole being aches when these unions are separated through death or divorce.  I have also observed in other widows that the longer you live with a soul mate (I had a mere 27 and a half years) the more agony you feel in  separation.

 I can only share with you what it feels like for me.  As I have been reflecting on the glacier-size hole left in my heart without my husband Brian, God led me to imagine the hole in His heart. His love for the whole world is far greater than mine was for Brian.  What must it feel like in God’s heart that holds love for every single person who has ever been born and yet to be separated from most of them because of sin?   What a thought! I can't imagine.

 Perfect love before the beginning of time must suffer the most from separation between heaven and earth.  When I consider the hole in God’s heart created by His love for us sinners, I realize that my pain is far less and must be endured so that God’s resolution can come to be.  I am separated from Brian for only a short time (from God’s perspective).  It is necessary for me to accept this temporary separation so that God’s work of redemption can be offered to the whole world.


God’s great love is the reason He sent Jesus to overcome death and bring redemption from our estrangement. He has done all and continues to do all to repair the separation that exists.

No wonder God sent Jesus.  Jesus is the answer to the gulf between heaven and earth. Acts 13:33 says, He has fulfilled for us, their children, by raising up Jesus. As it is written in the second Psalm: You are my son; today I have become your father.

I have something wonderful to consider that those who grieved deeply in the Old Testament did not. I know about how God sent Jesus to overcome death and the grave. God’s grief is as great as His love.  This thought has helped me to see why God gave us the sacrament of communion.  In observing the Lord’s Supper (Eucharist), I am anticipating the time when Jesus’ body and blood will redeem me completely, and I will no longer be separated from God or Brian or any that have been redeemed through the blood of Jesus Christ. Having gained a slight sense of God’s love and grief over the whole world, I long to live a life that does not grieve God.  As Paul instructed, And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption (Ephesians 4:30).

Copyright © 2012.  Deborah R. Newman www.teatimeforyoursoul.com  All Rights Reserved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fifth Monday in Lent through Palm Sunday

Fifth Monday in Lent: Righteousness Needed Jesus is all about bringing us righteousness yet we are too worldly focused to think we have much of a need for righteousness. Most of us think we need healing or exciting miracles. We might try to get a little righteousness by going to church on Sunday and giving some spare change to a beggar. God sees the bigger picture and knows that there is nothing which we are more bankrupt than righteousness. He sees that we are totally incapable of getting the righteousness we need through our own actions, so He sent Jesus to give us His righteousness through His sacrificial work on the cross. Lent is a season of repentance and preparation for the Easter celebration. No matter how sacrificial your Lenten fast, it could never be enough to earn your righteousness. I have been practicing Lent for   years, and every year at the end of my fast I come face to face with how far I am from righteousness. Some of the first recorded words of Jesus in th

A Pilgrimage that Started with Tears

                Who would think I would shed tears deciding to set out on a wonderful journey that I have longed to take for many years?   Before I was ready to fully accept God’s invitation for a pilgrimage to Jerusalem, I had to journey to a place of agreement between what my soul wanted and what the Lord wanted for me.   For years I have been declining opportunities to travel to Israel—not because I didn’t want to go but because I wanted to go with my husband by my side.   I know that God could have arranged that for me, but instead He asked me to accept that He wanted me to be willing to go and leave everything behind.   When I was asked to make a decision about going on a Pilgrimage to Jerusalem, God gave me this verse in answer to my prayer -- Debi, observe therefore all the commands I am giving you today, so that you may have the strength to go in and take over the land that you are crossing the Jordan to possess (Deuteronomy 11:8).   I decided through tears that I would go on

The Troubled Christian Life

              When I surrendered my vocation to God back when I was seventeen-years-old, He called me to a life of walking through the most broken realities that people face in a first-world country.  The verse that led me to this life was 2 Corinthians 1:3-4.  Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort,   who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God .  I began counseling others at the ripe age of 23.  I looked like I could have still been in high school, and the patients given to me rightly had their doubts.  I had my doubts too.  I knew that I didn’t have the wisdom to counseling people double my age.  I didn’t have a lot of experience of deep wounds either so I couldn’t talk to them from my own experiences of deep brokenness.  I was only helpful to them because I relied totally on the word of God and the presence of the Holy Spirit