Skip to main content

I Have Seen the Lord


            For the 40 days following Easter, Jesus made appearances at unexpected times and in unexpected places.  Some are recorded for us in the Gospels; others are mentioned in the Epistles.  Jesus likely appeared more often than was recorded.  For instance, I often wonder why Lazarus, Mary and Martha are not mentioned again in New Testament literature after the great faith they showed by having dinner with Him near Holy Week, when Mary anointed his body with the costly perfume.  They are strangely missing from the foot of the cross, but did they get a private resurrection visit?  Jesus’ love and friendship with them was so strong.
            The days following the Resurrection before Jesus ascended to heaven mirror my experiences with Jesus.  Like the disciples and the women, I know He has risen; but I’m often surprised when I see Him showing up.  I am aware that He told me that He would never leave me, but I wonder how many times I miss Him when He wants to show Himself or His work for me.
            There is a spiritual discipline I practice called I have seen the Lord.  It comes from the words of Mary Magdalene, the first witness of the risen Lord.  These were the words she spoke to the disciples after she met Jesus in the garden as recorded in John 20:18, Mary Magdalene went to the disciples with the news: I have seen the Lord! And she told them that he had said these things to her.  I write down in my journal any experience I have when I keenly feel that Jesus’ powerful moving in my life.  One example of something I would write about is an experience where I felt that God had kept me safe from harm by avoiding a car accident.  In that instance, I was leaving work on a particular night while it was dark when suddenly there was a car driving straight toward me on the wrong side of the median.  I can’t really say how I got out of the way and avoided a head-on collision, but I did.  My first reaction was to thank God for sparing me from harm.  Later I wrote about that experience because I didn’t want to forget it.  That was a time that I saw the Lord protecting me in a supernatural way.  Other times I write about particular opportunities of ministry.  I note the way God sends me just what I need to complete the tasks He assigns to me.  I see Jesus appearing to me in the ministry and life experiences that He is very much a part of rather than a physical experience of His being before me.
            I believe that there are some who do have experiences of seeing Jesus.  Mother Teresa said that she saw Jesus on a train to a spiritual retreat and that He asked her to do the work she did for the poor.  I hear about Muslims having dreams where Jesus comes to them and speaks to them about putting their faith in Him.  I don’t expect to see the Lord in those ways.  I understand they are unique and sacred moments for specific people.  I do want to be more attentive to the times when I have seen the Lord show love through me that was only of Him or give love to me in a special way.
            During the season of Lent I saw the Lord waking me early or drawing my attention to a sunset or sunrise—He knows how much I feel His presence when I observe His artwork in the sky.  I encourage you to practice this spiritual discipline.  Make a note of times that you see the Lord.  He is resurrected and does continue to make appearances.  Do you see them?
Copyright © 2012.  Deborah R. Newman www.teatimeforyoursoul.com  All Rights Reserved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fifth Monday in Lent through Palm Sunday

Fifth Monday in Lent: Righteousness Needed Jesus is all about bringing us righteousness yet we are too worldly focused to think we have much of a need for righteousness. Most of us think we need healing or exciting miracles. We might try to get a little righteousness by going to church on Sunday and giving some spare change to a beggar. God sees the bigger picture and knows that there is nothing which we are more bankrupt than righteousness. He sees that we are totally incapable of getting the righteousness we need through our own actions, so He sent Jesus to give us His righteousness through His sacrificial work on the cross. Lent is a season of repentance and preparation for the Easter celebration. No matter how sacrificial your Lenten fast, it could never be enough to earn your righteousness. I have been practicing Lent for   years, and every year at the end of my fast I come face to face with how far I am from righteousness. Some of the first recorded words of Jesus in th

A Pilgrimage that Started with Tears

                Who would think I would shed tears deciding to set out on a wonderful journey that I have longed to take for many years?   Before I was ready to fully accept God’s invitation for a pilgrimage to Jerusalem, I had to journey to a place of agreement between what my soul wanted and what the Lord wanted for me.   For years I have been declining opportunities to travel to Israel—not because I didn’t want to go but because I wanted to go with my husband by my side.   I know that God could have arranged that for me, but instead He asked me to accept that He wanted me to be willing to go and leave everything behind.   When I was asked to make a decision about going on a Pilgrimage to Jerusalem, God gave me this verse in answer to my prayer -- Debi, observe therefore all the commands I am giving you today, so that you may have the strength to go in and take over the land that you are crossing the Jordan to possess (Deuteronomy 11:8).   I decided through tears that I would go on

The Troubled Christian Life

              When I surrendered my vocation to God back when I was seventeen-years-old, He called me to a life of walking through the most broken realities that people face in a first-world country.  The verse that led me to this life was 2 Corinthians 1:3-4.  Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort,   who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God .  I began counseling others at the ripe age of 23.  I looked like I could have still been in high school, and the patients given to me rightly had their doubts.  I had my doubts too.  I knew that I didn’t have the wisdom to counseling people double my age.  I didn’t have a lot of experience of deep wounds either so I couldn’t talk to them from my own experiences of deep brokenness.  I was only helpful to them because I relied totally on the word of God and the presence of the Holy Spirit