Skip to main content

Lent—Winter/Spring


I took a weekend Silent Lenten Retreat and learned how special the season of Lent (which means Spring) really is.  Being in the lovely setting where winter-spring becomes its own season, I discovered that the transformation from winter to spring reveals the transformation of our souls in Lent. 
We had an absolutely gorgeous weekend to enjoy solitude with God.  Lent is a perfect season to see in nature what God is drawing out of us through the spiritual disciplines we focus on through penitence and preparation for Easter. It is the in-between season that shows us a lot about what we are doing spiritually through our focus on confession.   From a distance winter can seem stark and ugly.  I feel the same way about confession.  But if you take the time to see the winter (previous devotional) you can see that the winter season reveals realities that get masked over by the growth of summer.  In winter you become aware of what needs to be cleared away.  In the same way the confession focus of Lent is a clearing season for my soul.  I can see what needs to be cleared away-what is totally dead is shown for what it is.
          The weekend retreat showed me the progress of confession on my soul.  Along one of the paths I walked, there were many obstacles that could cause one to trip or stumble.  Some included roots of trees that make the path shaded and wonderful to walk.  One obstacle on my path was a large, dead, fallen-over log that needed to be removed and used for firewood.  This un-useful obstacle did not serve any purpose. It reminded me of my sin.   During Lent, I am looking at the sins that are most harmful and cause most damage to the progress of my soul.  God is asking me to give over to Him the dead, fallen limbs of sin.  His purpose is not just so I can feel bad about myself.  He shows them to me so I can do in my soul what I saw needing to be done about the dead and rotting log that blocked my path.  He wants me to see that these sins need to be removed.   This Lenten season will not remove all my sin, but it will help me see and focus on the major obstacles that are only hurtful and up to no good or purpose.
Lent is a whole new season of my spiritual life.  It is a log-clearing season.  I want to be mindful of the logs in my own eyes and not worry about the specks I see in others.  Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? (Matthew 7:3).  During Lent, God and I are walking the path of my soul.  This season in-between winter and spring brings out the rotting branches of sin that are blocking the path of my soul’s spiritual progress.  Without this special season the path of my soul would get overgrown and eventually become un-passable.
          Because I was at the retreat center during Lent, I also enjoyed being able to walk deeper into the cool, quiet beauty of the creek than I can during other seasons.  That experience represented the treasure of solitude.  As I walk deeper into the river of God's love during this Lenten season, I can experience deeper solitude with Him.  Confession creates deeper intimacy with God.
Lent is a clearing season.  It may look harsh from a distance, but it is all about preparing for growth.  The reward is the beautiful intimacy with God that can be experienced in no other way than walking the path of confession and humility.
           
Copyright © 2012.  Deborah R. Newman www.teatimeforyoursoul.com  All Rights Reserved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fifth Monday in Lent through Palm Sunday

Fifth Monday in Lent: Righteousness Needed Jesus is all about bringing us righteousness yet we are too worldly focused to think we have much of a need for righteousness. Most of us think we need healing or exciting miracles. We might try to get a little righteousness by going to church on Sunday and giving some spare change to a beggar. God sees the bigger picture and knows that there is nothing which we are more bankrupt than righteousness. He sees that we are totally incapable of getting the righteousness we need through our own actions, so He sent Jesus to give us His righteousness through His sacrificial work on the cross. Lent is a season of repentance and preparation for the Easter celebration. No matter how sacrificial your Lenten fast, it could never be enough to earn your righteousness. I have been practicing Lent for   years, and every year at the end of my fast I come face to face with how far I am from righteousness. Some of the first recorded words of Jesus in th

A Pilgrimage that Started with Tears

                Who would think I would shed tears deciding to set out on a wonderful journey that I have longed to take for many years?   Before I was ready to fully accept God’s invitation for a pilgrimage to Jerusalem, I had to journey to a place of agreement between what my soul wanted and what the Lord wanted for me.   For years I have been declining opportunities to travel to Israel—not because I didn’t want to go but because I wanted to go with my husband by my side.   I know that God could have arranged that for me, but instead He asked me to accept that He wanted me to be willing to go and leave everything behind.   When I was asked to make a decision about going on a Pilgrimage to Jerusalem, God gave me this verse in answer to my prayer -- Debi, observe therefore all the commands I am giving you today, so that you may have the strength to go in and take over the land that you are crossing the Jordan to possess (Deuteronomy 11:8).   I decided through tears that I would go on

The Troubled Christian Life

              When I surrendered my vocation to God back when I was seventeen-years-old, He called me to a life of walking through the most broken realities that people face in a first-world country.  The verse that led me to this life was 2 Corinthians 1:3-4.  Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort,   who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God .  I began counseling others at the ripe age of 23.  I looked like I could have still been in high school, and the patients given to me rightly had their doubts.  I had my doubts too.  I knew that I didn’t have the wisdom to counseling people double my age.  I didn’t have a lot of experience of deep wounds either so I couldn’t talk to them from my own experiences of deep brokenness.  I was only helpful to them because I relied totally on the word of God and the presence of the Holy Spirit