Skip to main content

Advent 3--JOYFUL EXPECTATION


The first week of Advent found me double-booked with activities that included two opportunities to share about the work that God did on our summer mission trip and another opportunity to share the Gospel with a group of senior adults.  On top of that there were regular teaching sessions and several parties to attend.  Though I had to prepare food, devotions, lessons and talks, I cannot contain the joy that was mine for the privilege of sharing with others how God was near to me.  It is what Paul felt in his Philippian jail where he wrote, Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!  Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near (Philippians 4:4-5). 
Joy which results from winning the national championship, landing the big job, or winning the grand prize dream trip is easy to understand.  It is when joy comes from unexpected circumstances that it becomes God-given joy.  It is this kind of joy that we celebrate on the third week of Advent when we light the third candle which traditionally is pink.  Lighting the pink candle alerts us that the time to end the fasting for the birth of Christ is near. Our hearts are moved with expectation of joy over the reality that the Redeemer from the consequences of our sins was born.  No matter your circumstances open your heart and let joy explode from your soul. 
When I think of people who are full of soul-exploding joy, my friend Cathi Woodmansee comes to mind.  I met Cathi eight years ago when she was in the midst of treatment for cancer.  She showed determination and joy right up until the time she heard that joyful word remission.  It didn’t strike me at that time that she was the epitome of joy.  It was after her cancer returned several years later and eventually showed up in her brain that I began to recognize that she didn’t just have a bubbly personality—she had a spiritual gift of joy.  With each delivery of bad news, she opened her heart to deeper joy.  Year by year the joy that exudes from her countenance and her words continue to amaze me. She praises God and keeps moving forward no matter how extreme her suffering.  As I think about joy this Advent season, my mind automatically thinks about Cathi.  Hers is a spiritual joy that comes from knowing that the Lord is near.
The shepherds are the people in the Christmas story who show us that kind of spiritual joy.  They were the first missionaries.  After they saw that what the angels told them was true (good news of great joy) when they laid eyes on Jesus, they went about sharing everything that had happened to them.  The sheep could wait; it was time to tell the world that the Lord was near.  The joy of sharing the wonder of Jesus is priceless.  It expands beyond the current circumstances and hardships. 
The hectic Christmas season that we humans have created for ourselves is the perfect opportunity to open your heart to deeper joy.  In all the pressures you are feeling, the joy of the Lord is possible as long as you know He is near.  Though the money is running short and the expectations are high, don’t give in to despair.  Follow Paul’s instructions: Rejoice in the Lord; then do some more rejoicing.  This should result in gentleness (joy transforms from despair to gentleness) and will let your soul experience the nearness of God.  Just as the Shepherds discovered, God does exactly what He says He will do.
Scriptures for Reflection:  Isaiah 9:6-7; John 1:19-34; Ecclesiastes 3:1-8; Philippians 2:1-11.
Copyright © 2011.  Deborah R. Newman www.teatimeforyoursoul.com  All Rights Reserved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fifth Monday in Lent through Palm Sunday

Fifth Monday in Lent: Righteousness Needed Jesus is all about bringing us righteousness yet we are too worldly focused to think we have much of a need for righteousness. Most of us think we need healing or exciting miracles. We might try to get a little righteousness by going to church on Sunday and giving some spare change to a beggar. God sees the bigger picture and knows that there is nothing which we are more bankrupt than righteousness. He sees that we are totally incapable of getting the righteousness we need through our own actions, so He sent Jesus to give us His righteousness through His sacrificial work on the cross. Lent is a season of repentance and preparation for the Easter celebration. No matter how sacrificial your Lenten fast, it could never be enough to earn your righteousness. I have been practicing Lent for   years, and every year at the end of my fast I come face to face with how far I am from righteousness. Some of the first recorded words of Jesus in th

Lenten Devotions

First Monday in Lent: Lent—Winter/Spring I took a weekend Silent Lenten Retreat and learned how special the season of Lent (which means Spring) really is. Being in the lovely setting where winter-spring becomes its own season; I discovered that the transformation from winter to spring reveals the transformation of our souls in Lent. We had an absolutely gorgeous weekend to enjoy solitude with God. Lent is a perfect season to see in nature what God is drawing out of us through the spiritual disciplines we focus on through penitence and preparation for Easter. It is the in-between season that shows us a lot about what we are doing spiritually through our focus on confession. From a distance winter can seem stark and ugly. I feel the same way about confession. But if you take the time to see the winter you can see that the winter season reveals realities that get masked over by the growth of summer. In winter you become aware of what needs to be cleared away. In the same way the con

The Troubled Christian Life

              When I surrendered my vocation to God back when I was seventeen-years-old, He called me to a life of walking through the most broken realities that people face in a first-world country.  The verse that led me to this life was 2 Corinthians 1:3-4.  Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort,   who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God .  I began counseling others at the ripe age of 23.  I looked like I could have still been in high school, and the patients given to me rightly had their doubts.  I had my doubts too.  I knew that I didn’t have the wisdom to counseling people double my age.  I didn’t have a lot of experience of deep wounds either so I couldn’t talk to them from my own experiences of deep brokenness.  I was only helpful to them because I relied totally on the word of God and the presence of the Holy Spirit