Skip to main content

What's Best For You?


You can't be on the spiritual journey for long until you realize that there must be an easier way. If God is who He says He is then He can heal any disease, feed any starving nation, and stop any war. But He doesn't.
Just take your life for example. Most of the readers of this devotion have not been born into extreme poverty without hope of a better life. Most of us face battles of an irritating kind. We come up short of answers to why a tragedy had to happen. Even so, there is a lot of evidence in this world that God does not match His unlimited resources with our human tragedies.
This is how Jesus explains it in Luke 11:11-13: Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead? Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him! Jesus first points us to the goodness of human fathers. A lot of people have had the privilege of having a dad who tried his best to give what was needed. However, there are fathers who might give a snake when a fish was asked for—or even worse, a scorpion when an egg was wanted. Jesus is speaking to a general public who experienced fathers who protected and provided for their children. As we apply Jesus’ words to our lives, it is as if Jesus is saying, if you ask for anything and you are given the Holy Spirit, note that the Holy Spirit is really all you really need.
The Holy Spirit is not like receiving a snake when you asked for a fish or a scorpion when you asked for an egg. The Holy Spirit is the key to making what is so wrong with this universe right again. Whatever we ask for, we could never come up with the notion of asking for the Holy Spirit. Thus if God, as a good Father, better than any father any of us have ever known on earth, gives us the Holy Spirit, then the Holy Spirit must be more than we realize.
Some of us would rather give back the Holy Spirit and take a cure for our cancer please. But think that through. Though your cancer may be cured, you still will die at some time, and where will you be without the Holy Spirit?
God knows that more than relief from our present suffering, we need hope of no more suffering. He solves this problem by coming to live in us through the Holy Spirit. Those who have the Spirit have everything they need to survive their lives and their deaths. The Holy Spirit is our answer to our current and future needs. The gift of the Holy Spirit is no scorpion or snake. The Holy Spirit is more life-giving than a fish or an egg. We don't know enough to ask for the Holy Spirit, so God in His mercy gives us the Holy Spirit in response to our asking.
The Holy Spirit has helped me see this truth. Knowing that God has given me the Holy Spirit doesn't prevent me from asking for what I think I need for myself and others. I still ask. I have discovered that God always answers with the gift of the Holy Spirit, and sometimes with exactly what I ask for, and sometimes with far better than what I ask for. Through it all I realize that He always gives me what is best for me. He knows what is best for me even when what is best for me is often something I could never conceive.
Copyright © 2011. Deborah R Newman teatimeforyoursoul.com All Rights Reserved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fifth Monday in Lent through Palm Sunday

Fifth Monday in Lent: Righteousness Needed Jesus is all about bringing us righteousness yet we are too worldly focused to think we have much of a need for righteousness. Most of us think we need healing or exciting miracles. We might try to get a little righteousness by going to church on Sunday and giving some spare change to a beggar. God sees the bigger picture and knows that there is nothing which we are more bankrupt than righteousness. He sees that we are totally incapable of getting the righteousness we need through our own actions, so He sent Jesus to give us His righteousness through His sacrificial work on the cross. Lent is a season of repentance and preparation for the Easter celebration. No matter how sacrificial your Lenten fast, it could never be enough to earn your righteousness. I have been practicing Lent for   years, and every year at the end of my fast I come face to face with how far I am from righteousness. Some of the first recorded words of Jesus in th

A Pilgrimage that Started with Tears

                Who would think I would shed tears deciding to set out on a wonderful journey that I have longed to take for many years?   Before I was ready to fully accept God’s invitation for a pilgrimage to Jerusalem, I had to journey to a place of agreement between what my soul wanted and what the Lord wanted for me.   For years I have been declining opportunities to travel to Israel—not because I didn’t want to go but because I wanted to go with my husband by my side.   I know that God could have arranged that for me, but instead He asked me to accept that He wanted me to be willing to go and leave everything behind.   When I was asked to make a decision about going on a Pilgrimage to Jerusalem, God gave me this verse in answer to my prayer -- Debi, observe therefore all the commands I am giving you today, so that you may have the strength to go in and take over the land that you are crossing the Jordan to possess (Deuteronomy 11:8).   I decided through tears that I would go on

The Missing Tribe of Dan

            The reason I love studying the Bible with a group of people is that they teach me things I don’t know.   I love it when I don’t know the answer to a question.   That is how I learn.   So when someone recounted the ugly tail of Dan’s idolatry in Judges 18 concluding with the passage in Judges 18:30-31 :   There the Danites set up for themselves the idol, and Jonathan son of Gershom, the son of Moses, and his sons were priests for the tribe of Dan until the time of the captivity of the land.   They continued to use the idol Micah had made, all the time the house of God was in Shiloh. I wanted to know if that could possibly be true that the Danites never ever worshiped God!   How could that be?             Before I had a chance to settle that question, someone in the class read the passage from Revelation 7 where the tribe of Dan was omitted.   I never considered that!   I never realized that a whole tribe of Israel was not found in the New Testament.   What could that