Skip to main content

The Spirit Cries ‘Abba”

The Spirit Cries “Abba
              When you speak about the Holy Spirit, many thoughts come to mind.  Many Christians don’t even try to explore the Holy Spirit because they do not want to be associated with strange fainting, rolling in aisles of churches and speaking in unintelligible languages.  It appears to be a show.  The attention focuses on the person dancing in the aisle or claiming to know a heavenly language that sets them apart from others.  It’s all rather difficult to take in if you were not raised in this kind of setting.  
              I do believe that the Holy Spirit manifests Himself in different Christian lives in different ways.  Most of what I observe is that you learn to accept His presence from being around other Christians who accept His presence in that way.  The Holy Spirit never overpowers a Christian’s free will.  You have to want Him to be graced by His presence.
              I admit I do feel uncomfortable in some settings where Christians are worshipping in the Spirit.  Settings like that seem to shut down my connection to God in the Spirit and raise doubt about the strange happenings I have witnessed.  It is not my place to say that because of my personal response in such settings that they are not from God.  All I know is that they are not from God for me.
              What I do know for sure is how the Bible describes the Holy Spirit coming into our lives.  The Bible goes into great detail about it.  I want to talk about one way that all Christians from the lively worshippers to the “frozen chosen”, can receive the the filling of the Holy Spirit, and that is a deep connection to God that is like Father to child.
Paul explains the Christian status as heirs of God.  He writes in Romans 8:15: “The Spirit you received does not make you slaves, so that you live in fear again; rather, the Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship. And by him we cry, ‘Abba, Father’.”
              The Spirit of God manifested in Christians will awaken us to an intimate and loving connection to God.  This connection is not only intimate and loving but also empowering and sufficient.  As the Spirit calls out “Abba” from your soul, you are reminded that your Father-God has made you an heir of all He owns and that He loves you beyond reason.  Though imprisoned by the world in your present condition, you know the reality is that you are a dearly beloved child of God and that your Father is rescuing you in time from the prison of the world.  In the meantime He asks you to live your best life, seeing the resources He brings to you in a fallen world.
              With a Spirit that cries “Abba” you can stop chasing love from your relationships and begin to feel the power of being loved.  This soul-sustaining love fills your heart to the brim and overflows into genuine, forgiving, and selfless love for others.  You are still human, so you will need to cry a few tears from the rejection and hurt you live with, but your tears are wiped away only by the dear Father-God-Abba-Daddy, whose comfort is beyond all other comfort (2 Corinthians 1:3).
              Holy Spirit-filled Christians know they are dearly loved children.  Holy Spirit-filled Christians are assured of their inheritance in heaven.  Holy Spirit-filled Christians want to spend their time on earth doing the work their loving Father prepared for them.  Christians who are filled with the Holy Spirit are secure in the storms of life, are at peace in the stress of chaotic relationships and are comforted by a Father’s love.
Copyright © 2019.  Deborah R. Newman  teatimeforyoursoul.com  All Rights Reserved

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fifth Monday in Lent through Palm Sunday

Fifth Monday in Lent: Righteousness Needed Jesus is all about bringing us righteousness yet we are too worldly focused to think we have much of a need for righteousness. Most of us think we need healing or exciting miracles. We might try to get a little righteousness by going to church on Sunday and giving some spare change to a beggar. God sees the bigger picture and knows that there is nothing which we are more bankrupt than righteousness. He sees that we are totally incapable of getting the righteousness we need through our own actions, so He sent Jesus to give us His righteousness through His sacrificial work on the cross. Lent is a season of repentance and preparation for the Easter celebration. No matter how sacrificial your Lenten fast, it could never be enough to earn your righteousness. I have been practicing Lent for   years, and every year at the end of my fast I come face to face with how far I am from righteousness. Some of the first recorded words of Jesus in th

A Pilgrimage that Started with Tears

                Who would think I would shed tears deciding to set out on a wonderful journey that I have longed to take for many years?   Before I was ready to fully accept God’s invitation for a pilgrimage to Jerusalem, I had to journey to a place of agreement between what my soul wanted and what the Lord wanted for me.   For years I have been declining opportunities to travel to Israel—not because I didn’t want to go but because I wanted to go with my husband by my side.   I know that God could have arranged that for me, but instead He asked me to accept that He wanted me to be willing to go and leave everything behind.   When I was asked to make a decision about going on a Pilgrimage to Jerusalem, God gave me this verse in answer to my prayer -- Debi, observe therefore all the commands I am giving you today, so that you may have the strength to go in and take over the land that you are crossing the Jordan to possess (Deuteronomy 11:8).   I decided through tears that I would go on

The Missing Tribe of Dan

            The reason I love studying the Bible with a group of people is that they teach me things I don’t know.   I love it when I don’t know the answer to a question.   That is how I learn.   So when someone recounted the ugly tail of Dan’s idolatry in Judges 18 concluding with the passage in Judges 18:30-31 :   There the Danites set up for themselves the idol, and Jonathan son of Gershom, the son of Moses, and his sons were priests for the tribe of Dan until the time of the captivity of the land.   They continued to use the idol Micah had made, all the time the house of God was in Shiloh. I wanted to know if that could possibly be true that the Danites never ever worshiped God!   How could that be?             Before I had a chance to settle that question, someone in the class read the passage from Revelation 7 where the tribe of Dan was omitted.   I never considered that!   I never realized that a whole tribe of Israel was not found in the New Testament.   What could that