Skip to main content

Our Faith



              Whether Baptist, Anglican, Methodist, Church of Christ, Catholic, or non-denominational; Christians share a common faith.  What is the faith that makes us Christians?  It is found in the word of God.  It was only a matter of years before Christians started debating the marks of faith.  Paul’s first letter to the churches was all about settling that historical struggle between persons who claim to share a common faith.  Galatians 2:16 explains: “Know that a person is not justified by the works of the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ. So we, too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the law, because by the works of the law no one will be justified.”  It is faith in Jesus Christ and His death, burial and resurrection that leads to the justification that enables us to become Christians.  Our faith is personal and does not result by joining a certain Christian church.  The church has the task of discipling Christians enabling them to grow deeper in their faith and express that through the renewal of their minds, emotions and choices.  This kind of deep faith is best evidenced when we live out the truth of the Bible in love.
              Christians interpret the truth of the Bible in different ways.  This is where we see the fractions among Christian churches.  There is no perfect church.  Though we adhere to a common faith, we often disagree about the expression of that faith in a changing culture.  For example, the only time I have worshiped with a head covering when I am in India (I love the act of covering my head in prayer as it alerts me to the holiness of God).  The Indian culture uses head coverings for women among most faiths so it is natural in the Christian church.  Our faith is nurtured by learning from others about their interpretation of the Bible, but it will never prosper until we become lovers of the Word of God for ourselves.  When the Word of God has personal application to your life, you desire to read it more and see God’s word as a light to your path.
              Faith comes from hearing the word of God (Romans 10:17).  Our church is focusing on the new year as “The Year of the Bible.”  All Christians are encouraged to read the Bible in major sections.  There is a scripture app they chose called “Read Scripture.”  The videos included with this app are excellent and explain the storyline of the Bible in attention keeping detail.  It’s only the first week and I find that my faith has been increased by the deeper knowledge of truths I had not previously digested when I read the book of Genesis.  No matter how familiar you are with the Bible you always have something new to learn as you read it again and again. 
              If you want to grow in your faith, the best place to begin is by reading God’s Word and seeking to understand why He would have that particular story or seemingly irrelevant fact mentioned.  My son Ben alerted me to a fact I would not have considered when he read a commentary on Matthew’s gospel that interpreted the mention of Tamar (Judah’s daughter-in-law who bore him twin boys after deceiving him) in a new way.  The Genesis story tells us that when the first boy’s arm came out, they tied a red cord around it, but that baby went back in and the first child who was actually born was not the child with the red cord.  This, the commentator said, was a picture of how Adam came first, and then Christ.  I found that very interesting.  As I read the passage again it made me question for the first time how Jesus could be of the tribe of Judah when He was the son of David who I knew was from the tribe of Benjamin.  I looked this up and discovered that after Babylon conquered the Southern Kingdom (Judah and Benjamin) they were no longer distinguished as separate tribes.  This made me think about the twins could also be a picture of this—how Jesus was the tribe of Benjamin (younger son) and still took over the line of Judah as the King of Israel.  Perhaps that is pictured by Jacob and Esau too.
              If you don’t know what I am talking about, then you have a lot to learn from the Bible.  It is full of interesting possibilities that will grow your faith. 
Copyright © 2019.  Deborah R Newman  teatimeforyoursoul.com  All Rights reserved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fifth Monday in Lent through Palm Sunday

Fifth Monday in Lent: Righteousness Needed Jesus is all about bringing us righteousness yet we are too worldly focused to think we have much of a need for righteousness. Most of us think we need healing or exciting miracles. We might try to get a little righteousness by going to church on Sunday and giving some spare change to a beggar. God sees the bigger picture and knows that there is nothing which we are more bankrupt than righteousness. He sees that we are totally incapable of getting the righteousness we need through our own actions, so He sent Jesus to give us His righteousness through His sacrificial work on the cross. Lent is a season of repentance and preparation for the Easter celebration. No matter how sacrificial your Lenten fast, it could never be enough to earn your righteousness. I have been practicing Lent for   years, and every year at the end of my fast I come face to face with how far I am from righteousness. Some of the first recorded words of Jesus in th

The Missing Tribe of Dan

            The reason I love studying the Bible with a group of people is that they teach me things I don’t know.   I love it when I don’t know the answer to a question.   That is how I learn.   So when someone recounted the ugly tail of Dan’s idolatry in Judges 18 concluding with the passage in Judges 18:30-31 :   There the Danites set up for themselves the idol, and Jonathan son of Gershom, the son of Moses, and his sons were priests for the tribe of Dan until the time of the captivity of the land.   They continued to use the idol Micah had made, all the time the house of God was in Shiloh. I wanted to know if that could possibly be true that the Danites never ever worshiped God!   How could that be?             Before I had a chance to settle that question, someone in the class read the passage from Revelation 7 where the tribe of Dan was omitted.   I never considered that!   I never realized that a whole tribe of Israel was not found in the New Testament.   What could that

A Pilgrimage that Started with Tears

                Who would think I would shed tears deciding to set out on a wonderful journey that I have longed to take for many years?   Before I was ready to fully accept God’s invitation for a pilgrimage to Jerusalem, I had to journey to a place of agreement between what my soul wanted and what the Lord wanted for me.   For years I have been declining opportunities to travel to Israel—not because I didn’t want to go but because I wanted to go with my husband by my side.   I know that God could have arranged that for me, but instead He asked me to accept that He wanted me to be willing to go and leave everything behind.   When I was asked to make a decision about going on a Pilgrimage to Jerusalem, God gave me this verse in answer to my prayer -- Debi, observe therefore all the commands I am giving you today, so that you may have the strength to go in and take over the land that you are crossing the Jordan to possess (Deuteronomy 11:8).   I decided through tears that I would go on