Skip to main content

The Sanctity of Life


              Sanctity of Life Sunday rolls around every third Sunday in January. It is celebrated near the date of the Roe vs. Wade Supreme Court decision date.  This sometimes makes Sanctity of Life seem to be only about abortion and making laws against its legal practice.  Sanctity of Life is so much more than changing one law.  It is about drawing attention to the reality that life is God’s gift.  God highly values life.  It is not a political debate; it is a recognition of the work of our Creator God.  He breathed life into His creation.  Seeing life (all lives) as sacred stems from a love of God.
Death is our problem.  God never wanted death to be a part of His creation.  God warned Adam and Eve about death.  We have death because we have been deceived by satan.  Once death entered our lives, it left us powerless to do anything about it.  God never wanted death in our lives, and He is still intent on helping us escape death’s grip.  Jesus told us that He came to bring life and to bring life that is abundant.  In contrast it is satan who comes to steal, kill and destroy. The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. John 10:10. 
              Jesus tells us that He is the way, the truth, and the LIFE (John 14:6).  Jesus is life.  We sanctify life when we treasure our lives the way God treasures our lives.  God does not want any one of us to perish (to die in our flesh before we receive the gift of eternal life through Jesus Christ, His Son).  The pursuit of anything that kills, steals or destroys life is devaluing what God has given. 
              I was challenged as a minister that if our churches found a compassionate, loving way to minister to men and women who are considering abortion that we could potentially cut abortion statistics in half.  Surveys report that half of women who abort their child have been to church at least monthly.  Life is sanctified when we realize that we are in need of a Savior.  An unwanted pregnancy is a life wanted by God.  Why does He allow a pregnancy in a person who does not want a baby, but allow others to struggle with infertility?  Perhaps these two women by longing for life could be matched in  a way that would transform their lives and help them see the wonder of God’s goodness. 
              God’s example for the church is to pursue life.  Every instruction that God give us is about how to live our lives fully.  Sanctity of life is a daily, moment by moment, call from God.  We all know that abortion kills, steals and destroys a life that God created.  What else kills, steals and destroys life?  Abuse of any kind—toward the elderly and the poor, and even the sexually exploited are subjects of sanctity of life discussions. 
It gets personal too.  I have been convicted of the ways I destroy life when I am unwilling to forgive a fellow image-bearer of God.  The life I most destroy is my own by hanging onto bitterness that keeps me obsessed with my enemies’ failures and taking no time to think of my own.  My lack of honor of life through hating another person prevents me from connecting deeply to God’s love for me.
Christianity is about honoring life and recognizing that God alone can create life and that God alone can recreate the life that has succumbed to death through sin.  I want to sanctify life in my pro-life voting but beyond that in my daily forgiveness and in my treatment of the poor and oppressed.  I want to honor God by honoring His creation of life.  I don’t want to allow the devil to lead me to kill, steal and destroy life and destroy myself at the same time.

Copyright © 2018.  Deborah R Newman  teatimeforyoursoul.com  All Rights Reserved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fifth Monday in Lent through Palm Sunday

Fifth Monday in Lent: Righteousness Needed Jesus is all about bringing us righteousness yet we are too worldly focused to think we have much of a need for righteousness. Most of us think we need healing or exciting miracles. We might try to get a little righteousness by going to church on Sunday and giving some spare change to a beggar. God sees the bigger picture and knows that there is nothing which we are more bankrupt than righteousness. He sees that we are totally incapable of getting the righteousness we need through our own actions, so He sent Jesus to give us His righteousness through His sacrificial work on the cross. Lent is a season of repentance and preparation for the Easter celebration. No matter how sacrificial your Lenten fast, it could never be enough to earn your righteousness. I have been practicing Lent for   years, and every year at the end of my fast I come face to face with how far I am from righteousness. Some of the first recorded words of Jesus in th

A Pilgrimage that Started with Tears

                Who would think I would shed tears deciding to set out on a wonderful journey that I have longed to take for many years?   Before I was ready to fully accept God’s invitation for a pilgrimage to Jerusalem, I had to journey to a place of agreement between what my soul wanted and what the Lord wanted for me.   For years I have been declining opportunities to travel to Israel—not because I didn’t want to go but because I wanted to go with my husband by my side.   I know that God could have arranged that for me, but instead He asked me to accept that He wanted me to be willing to go and leave everything behind.   When I was asked to make a decision about going on a Pilgrimage to Jerusalem, God gave me this verse in answer to my prayer -- Debi, observe therefore all the commands I am giving you today, so that you may have the strength to go in and take over the land that you are crossing the Jordan to possess (Deuteronomy 11:8).   I decided through tears that I would go on

The Missing Tribe of Dan

            The reason I love studying the Bible with a group of people is that they teach me things I don’t know.   I love it when I don’t know the answer to a question.   That is how I learn.   So when someone recounted the ugly tail of Dan’s idolatry in Judges 18 concluding with the passage in Judges 18:30-31 :   There the Danites set up for themselves the idol, and Jonathan son of Gershom, the son of Moses, and his sons were priests for the tribe of Dan until the time of the captivity of the land.   They continued to use the idol Micah had made, all the time the house of God was in Shiloh. I wanted to know if that could possibly be true that the Danites never ever worshiped God!   How could that be?             Before I had a chance to settle that question, someone in the class read the passage from Revelation 7 where the tribe of Dan was omitted.   I never considered that!   I never realized that a whole tribe of Israel was not found in the New Testament.   What could that